Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Wife is already planning on having some folks over next weekend, so I need to come up with something REALLY good!

Seriously hard to screw up Axis deer. Just about out and can't wait to go again. Great hunting and great meat. The butcher that did mine did a great job. I got tenderloin wrapped in bacon, ground, roasts and thin cut tenderloin run through a knifed tenderizer.

Some thoughts.

Bambi mock-Wellington.

Cook a roast in the slow cooker and shred
lay out a sheet of Pepperidge Farms puff pastry
Put some Axis in the sheet (don't overfill)
on top of that put some nice sliced mushrooms, fresh spinach leaves, nice shredded cheese (I use apple smoked cheddar)
Fold another sheet on puff pastry on top of that and crimp with a fork. Brush with an egg wash and bake until golden and flaky.

Slice and serve with some nice side. Elegance betrays how easy it is.

On the easy side we love little "slider" Axis burgers. I combine ground venison with a couple of cloves of diced garlic some caramelized onions and an egg and form into eight patties per pound and grill.

Find some nice little slider hamburger buns and serve with a variety of sides so folks can dress their own. A couple varieties of pickles, sliced tomato, some bacon bits (REAL bacon!) and some neat cheeses all do well.

I seriously like Axis!

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Pugs - Wow, those sound great! By slow cooker, I assume a crock pot would work? What would you add to it, how long, etc?

Nice Axis there. Here's mine...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can put that entire dink in a crock pot. grin

I think I see the peanuts you were feeding him still hanging out of his mouth... whistle

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
JM - The only peanut around here is the one between your ears. wink

Now be a good little Cajun redneck and resume playing nekkid with the gators.

All these recipes have made me hungry and dinner's waiting... so later, y'all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Must have struck a nerve....I'm sorry. frown

JM.

P.S. Did you kill him with a hammer or use a bang stick like they do in the stockyards?

laugh

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

I think I see the peanuts you were feeding him still hanging out of his mouth... whistle

Hmmmm, peanut fed venison. Nothing finer (unless it's peanut fed wild turkey!) Family farm circa 1860 to 1985 when the grandparents sold it was in San Saba County TX and we ate a lot of peanut fed goodness off that place growing up.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
By slow cooker, I assume a crock pot would work? What would you add to it, how long, etc?

Sweet Deer! I sent this as a PM but thought others might be interested too.

Yep - crock pot. I have two. One just has the element on the bottom and one has the heat running up the sides. Not a lot of difference for this. All you want to do is get a good long cook that gets it good and tender. As far as seasoning I'm pretty basic. Salt/pepper (fresh ground!) and some smoked Paprika and maybe a little garlic powder.

(just about lost that, The lights went out in this nice T-storm we're having here in Baltimore. Luckily on the laptop)

Time-wise four hours ought to be fine. If you can take two forks and shred it you're in business. Longer won't hurt. If you're going to be gone all day add a little water or better yet a can low sodium beef stock. (avoid beef broth)

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
See? Told you "Chez Pugs" would have the perfect recipe. Hey Pugs we need to go again. Maybe in the fall?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Must have struck a nerve....I'm sorry. frown

JM.

P.S. Did you kill him with a hammer or use a bang stick like they do in the stockyards?

laugh

I showed him your childhood photo and he just keeled over. wink

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Pugs
By slow cooker, I assume a crock pot would work? What would you add to it, how long, etc?

Sweet Deer! I sent this as a PM but thought others might be interested too.

Yep - crock pot. I have two. One just has the element on the bottom and one has the heat running up the sides. Not a lot of difference for this. All you want to do is get a good long cook that gets it good and tender. As far as seasoning I'm pretty basic. Salt/pepper (fresh ground!) and some smoked Paprika and maybe a little garlic powder.

(just about lost that, The lights went out in this nice T-storm we're having here in Baltimore. Luckily on the laptop)

Time-wise four hours ought to be fine. If you can take two forks and shred it you're in business. Longer won't hurt. If you're going to be gone all day add a little water or better yet a can low sodium beef stock. (avoid beef broth)

Thanks, I'm no stranger to crock pots. I make a mean wild boar roast incorporating such goodies as herbs de provence and what I call a basalmic hunter sauce... even people we know who aren't all that keen on hunting are happy to visit for dinner when I make that one. Will definitely be trying out your recipe. Thanks again!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Alan's(Pugs) recipe with the crock pot. I'd suggest that you add a little more water and a bit of barley to the mix. That'll make any leftovers de-effing-licious...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pugs,

Man that Wellington style recipe sounds great!

I have a freezer full of moose (some of it melt-in-your-mouth calf! smile and I am always looking for new ways to cook it.

I am going to try Moose Wellington via the crockpot as per your recipe!

Thanks from Sweden,

John

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tenderize - lightly chicken-fry.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
See? Told you "Chez Pugs" would have the perfect recipe. Hey Pugs we need to go again. Maybe in the fall?

It's darn near fall friend! Doves in less than 30 days. smile Fall will be tough but I'd love to coordinate all the usual players and try for an early April hunt.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I wanna be a usual player!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Let's do it guys.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Let's do it guys.

Yep - The list of good guys I'd like to hunt with will quickly outgrow the facilities we were at last time.

Bob - you certainly count as one of the usual suspects. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Getting hungry here............

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
154gr Hornaday in a 7x65r....

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 50 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.