M
no arguing just the truth.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you don't like the rifles (or concept), then don't buy one. Most, I believe, think the idea of an "affordable" double rifle is great!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I may be in the minority but I like the look of the sights as they are. They have a practical looking aesthetic that is really appealing to me.

My own "plan" for getting an inexpensive double rifle involves reaming a 410 shotgun to chamber brass 410 shells loaded with BP and topped with a case bullet crimped as per a normal rifle round.

Then getting some rifled chokes made like and old paradox gun and maybe a custom mold to drop hollowbase bullets to help with gas seal?

No idea yet how to regulate it other then altering charge/bullet weight and I am sure I could easy dump more then $5k into it.

If I were a smart man I would start with modding a .410 Contender barrel first as proof of concept.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bunnielab
I may be in the minority but I like the look of the sights as they are. They have a practical looking aesthetic that is really appealing to me.

I do think the sights need a bit of refining to a more classic look, but anyone who can offer a decent SxS rifle for $5K with good relability and regulation would have a hit.

I also think that offering smaller bores like 7x57R, 303 and 30/30 etc would give a good rifle to fellows who will never go to Africa, but would like a SxS for hunting here in NA.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dood, if you don't like the rifle, don't buy one. Furthermore, unless you're a fascist or a liberal, I'm sure you're not into telling others where their hard earned money should go. Just sayin'...

JV

Last edited by 444afic; 08/02/11.

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I could give two chits where or how anyone spends their money.

I do have a problem with someone claiming that they have the best regulated barrels in the business. (Based on the fact they said so)

That their double is American made when it is only American altered.

Oh and $5000 for something built on a CZ action? Really? They couldn't pick a better made action?

If you have a problem with me saying how I feel don't read my post. If you feel $5K for a CZ built into a double rifle is a good price and a good product have at it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Oh and $5000 for something built on a CZ action? Really? They couldn't pick a better made action?

MCH,

Is the CZ action substandard?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I could afford 5K for a double, I'd save for another year and get another 5k and buy a Blaser.

But hey I am prejudiced, we are Blaser dealers smile

WildsoigethtemwholesalebesidesAlaska ��2002-2011

Last edited by Wildalaska; 08/04/11.

Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine t�tige Unwissenheit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Big Redhead that would really depend on what the intended purpose of it was. For a shotgun that isn't going to see thousands of rounds thru it, it is fine. They are low pricepoint guns made for hunters.

Wildalsaka you got that right but I would buy a Searcy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the Sabattis for the money. The Basic models have bad reputations, however, while the better grade guns in the heavy calibers have very good reputations.

DANG! I would love to have one of the 9,3s, but am a bit leery. eek

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bunnielab~

there is a wildcat out there that basically duplicates what you are looking for. I can't remember the name of it offhand, but apparently some people have used the 9.3x74R necked up to .458 to shoot 500 gr. bullets in their T/C Contenders chambered for the .45 Colt/ .410 combo barrels.

A place to start looking.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A .30 caliber Rimmed double would be fun, whether .30-30, .30-40 ( laugh ), or .303.

Originally Posted by UncleJake
A .30 caliber Rimmed double would be fun, whether .30-30, .30-40 ( laugh ), or .303.

Good call . . . A Clark .30-30 Double Rifle is exactly what Jim used this past weekend to win the Stalking Rifle championship @ The Vintage Cup - 15th Annual Side by Side Event.

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com

I do have a problem with someone claiming that they have the best regulated barrels in the business. (Based on the fact they said so)

Did not. Little math lesson: Did I say greater than . . .? No. I said equal to. You can go look up the difference if you still don't understand.

That their double is American made when it is only American altered.

We made no such claim. The OP of this topic did.

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You going to display at SCI?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by CCGInc
Originally Posted by UncleJake

Good call . . . A Clark .30-30 Double Rifle is exactly what Jim used this past weekend to win the Stalking Rifle championship @ The Vintage Cup - 15th Annual Side by Side Event.

Photo's of the 30-30 SXS would be nice.. smile

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rangr44
Truth be told, I'm a little concerned about two things.

A straight/English grip on a DGR - i.e., controlability issues.

A comment I ran across elsewhere, that these are made on shotgun actions - which I don't know is true or false.

from their web page:
Built on CZ Ringneck or Bobwhite Shotgun (depending upon chosen caliber).
Barrels custom manufactured from Douglas blank. - (470 barrels made from Pac-Nor blank.)

Sam......

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Im very surprised to hear "CZ" and "poor quality" in the same sentance

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting thread. Having gone through the double rifle research/buy process all I can say is the best of luck and if you can make it work, lots of people will be interested. A few observations; I don't care for the straight grip on a DR especially a BIG bore because of recoil issues. The sights look weird, but then again that's just a preference on my part. As far as shotgun actions, no issues there, LOTS of DR makers first used them, Merkel comes to mind. If these are Huglus, they make some nice stuff (their labor costs are low). A 400gr .405@ 2100 fps is WAY over spec so I'd be leery about that. Lastly, there is a reason as to why doubles are so darned expensive BUT if this new company can do it without sacrificing quality & reliability, I'd love to check one out.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
You going to display at SCI?

We'll be at SCI Dallas

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 66 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.