Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Fact: every shot including frontal, broadside, and quartering away is risky.

Frontal: You could rake the shoulder, or hit too high in the neck.

Broadside: You could hit too far back, or too high, or hit shoulder.

Quartering away: You could hit too far back, or in the shoulder.

I personally think the double lung is the best hit, but that doesn't mean trying for it is without risk.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...EXACTLY!!!!!!! Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Flinch
Hunting farm deer...you are amazing! Do you have feeders set out to "bait" in the deer too?
Oh geez, you are so stupid!....farm deer is "WILD" deer...you know the kind that roams around freely..hopping from one farm to the next....hopping over and diving under the farmers 3' tall barbwire fences!! no wonder you dont know anything you are so uneducated on hunting midwest deer.

News flash!!! 90% of Indiana's deer herd live on farms!! but your too smart to know that!! arent you? smirk the other 10% live in deep woods and never see a farm.
If you are all that anal and can't make an easy 20 yard frontal shot, I wouldn't hunt with you...or your "group". I won't hunt with groups period.

I CAN make that shot but due to the low percentage of recovery I chose NOT to make that shot...chances the deer will turn broadside or walk on past allowing me a better angle.

Also because you seem really stupid I/we dont hunt in "groups" maybe 2-3 guys at most at one time on a 300 acre farm.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

So you all make perfect broadside hits all the time hu? So when you hunt from your elevated stands, how big is the target you are shooting at? Is it the size of one lung, the heart? You can't hit all those organs at once, right?
Only need to take out the lungs...what I aim for.
The kills zone is about 6-8" or so right? So you won't take a frontal shot at a 6-8" target, but you will from above?
Where do you get that I will take a frontal shot from above?
What is the difference? It is all about placing the arrow where it needs to go every time. It doesn't matter (within reason), what the angle is if the vitals are exposed.
Stick with guns....seems archery just aint for you.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Even the professionals dont know what they're talking about acording to Flinch.

Laffin'

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tom264
Even the professionals dont know what they're talking about acording to Flinch.

Laffin'

Flinch is an idiot.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I hunt on right about 300 acres of State land. A good day for me is only two or three other guys there. But I am not complaining at least I have a place to hunt. I haven't killed a "book" deer but I have done ok.

No feeders or baiting allowed.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 08/05/11.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took that shot on a whitetail a while back, probably about 20 yards. He jumped the string just a tiny bit and thankfully ran about 30 yards to my left staying about 20 yards away and stopped again.

I was able to knock another arrow and he dropped within 20 more yards.

If I hadn't been able to get that second arrow off, I'm sure I would have lost him. Won't be trying it again, deer or elk.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...Coming from the asss clown that brags about wounding big mule deer with a rifle, you are definitely the idiot here. You and Tom should be BFS's, swap spit and brag about the T.V. hunting shows you watched this weekend. That is where you both get all your bow hunting experience, especially you drumdum. When was the last time you killed anything with a bow, let alone an elk??? We are all ears. Your armchair expertise cracks me up. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have not read the whole thread but its not a good shot you have basicaly a softball sized hole if you hit that your golden but if you miss you will have a mess. You may not even have any blood to track a elk and you have the neck hair that asorbes a lot of blood. The brisket on a elk is almost as bad as the shoulder bone and it can deflect the arrow and a elk can cover a lot of ground with a single lung. With very little blood to track your in your trouble.

Last edited by ehunter; 08/08/11.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...Coming from the asss clown that brags about wounding big mule deer with a rifle, you are definitely the idiot here. You and Tom should be BFS's, swap spit and brag about the T.V. hunting shows you watched this weekend. That is where you both get all your bow hunting experience, especially you drumdum. When was the last time you killed anything with a bow, let alone an elk??? We are all ears. Your armchair expertise cracks me up. Flinch

I dont know why I even respond to you Flinch, I feel like I'm beating up on a retarted kid. That is not a good shot selection, its lethal when you hit them in the right spot but there are too many variables that make this a horrible shot selection. I am sorry that your too damn stupid to comprehend this.

Please provide a quote for the folks here where I "bragged" about wounding a deer. You stupid SOB, I wasnt even the one that took the shot, I was guiding. Please, post up a link or a quote where I was "bragging" about it.

As for your trying to attack my experience level, simply pathetic. I havent killed an animal with my bow in over a decade and I've only killed a handful of animals with a rifle and/or muzzleloader in that time. My job is taking others hunting and thats what I do. I've been doing it for 20 years. I really dont need to try to justify my experience to somebody that thinks that this shot selection is a good/ethical shot to take. That tells me all I need to know about your "experience", or lack thereof

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One more thing Flinch, you talking ethics is ridiculous. You have still never provided a shred of proof that those malicious lies you posted about another hunter had any truth to them. You are a gawd damned liar and the worst kind of human. You are a waste of space

I guess you would rather be a scumbag piece of chit rather than admit you were wrong

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't own a bow, as such I have never bow hunted. Both my brothers have quite a bit. That said, my father gave me good advice when he first took me to the field. Granted it was with a rifle, but I think the principle still applies here.

"Never, EVER, shoot at a deer."

"Dad, if I don't shoot at hit how will we get it!?"

"Again, don't you dare EVER shoot at a deer. Shoot at a SPOT on the deer."

Basically, know exactly where your bullet/arrow is going to impact before you pull the trigger/release the string.

Those that KNOW what their projectile is going to do can call certain shots a low risk, where those that THINK they know what it will do have to agree that those shots are indeed high risk...... for THEM.

Take that any way you like.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by cal74
I took that shot on a whitetail a while back, probably about 20 yards. He jumped the string just a tiny bit and thankfully ran about 30 yards to my left staying about 20 yards away and stopped again.

I was able to knock another arrow and he dropped within 20 more yards.

If I hadn't been able to get that second arrow off, I'm sure I would have lost him. Won't be trying it again, deer or elk.

Herein is the answer to all this BS.... he jumped the string just a bit... Hell lets be totally honest, that sweet spot is about the size of the brain.... It'd be as easy to sink a broadhean into the ear socket as it would that sweet spot... and the only reason I dont'... is due to possible movement... Its something you can't control, and at what... 300 or so FPS from a fast bow, its an issue. Its not an issue much at all at 3000 fps...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You and Tom should be BFS's, swap spit and brag about the T.V. hunting shows you watched this weekend. That is where you both get all your bow hunting experience, especially you drumdum. When was the last time you killed anything with a bow, let alone an elk??? We are all ears. Your armchair expertise cracks me up. Flinch
Your such an idiot!! seems not many here agree with your "archery wisdom"....wonder why? Laffin'

You wanna ask ME the same question about when was the last time I killed anything with a bow.....?

I got pics.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Wanna answer this for me there mr. armchair hunter.

Originally Posted by Tom264
Yeah, but that can go with any shot. I busted a bull a couple of years ago in the arm pit with a 4 blade head, complete pass through. Very little blood, chased him for a couple of hours. Found him the next morning. The arrow had gone between the heart and lungs somehow.
Bull!!!

Your full of crap!

Show me HOW that happened!

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Just trying to help the idiot out here..........

Elk anatomy and shot placement....by the experts! Laffin'

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
One thing is for sure, broadside shots have a very good chance of hitting TWO lungs and the frontal shot has nearly zero chance of hitting TWO lungs. Why anyone wants to argue that the frontal shot is as high of a percentage shot as the broadside shot is, is beyond me.
On a broadside elk, the lung area is about 16"-18" and if ya get one, chances are very high that you'll get'em both. Can't do that from the front.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yep, but dont tell Flinch that....he's a Pro-fesh-anal. wink

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A frontal can get both lungs, but it can easily or easier, not get both.

Thats not something anyone with a bit of sense would attempt, at least IMHO after many years and many animals down with a bow....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
394 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 39 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.