-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have as well, and with complete penetration, even on our big mountain caribou bulls, which are the size of mature elk! That's exactly what they are designed to do. smile

Actually, I have seen a few 130s go through moose, too.

Ted

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

I have blown 130gr Nosler partitions to shreads on broadside chest shots on whitetail deer with a 270 Winchester. I found nothing larger than little flecks of lead and jacket metal.

BR: Well, that is something I have NOT seen......ever. Not that I doubt you but just have never run into it regardless of distance...with any Partition.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/06/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I had the same thing happen with a Barnes.....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=Big_Redhead

I have blown 130gr Nosler partitions to shreads on broadside chest shots on whitetail deer with a 270 Winchester. I found nothing larger than little flecks of lead and jacket metal.
[/quote] No exit on the animal either?

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was wondering the same thing, also noticed the plural part

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Someone can run the numbers on 130's, 40's, 50's and 160's. I don't think you will find any significant difference in paper ft. lbs. of energy. A reasonable approach might be to pick one or two versions that your rifle likes and leave it at that.
Fire extinguisher handy.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 08/06/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nosler's partition has a strong tendency to shed the lead in the front core......and this causes loss of penetration.

And that's BS!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH

BR: Well, that is something I have NOT seen......ever. Not that I doubt you but just have never run into it regardless of distance...with any Partition.

I'm skeptical and I don't mind saying so.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 130 Partitions below were fired from a 270 Win into a close-range bull elk. Both were recovered on the opposite side (shoulder) under the hide. The Partition on the left is the only Partition I've ever recovered that was what I might consider less than stellar even though it was right next to the one that performed as advertised. The one on the left appeared to have tumbled and opened from both ends and just the jacket was left, but it didn't lack in penetration and darn sure was bigger than just flecks of jacket material.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cool Nosler photo. The marketing types would call that dual expansion. I have suspected the core loss (judging by the wound channel) but never recovered one, the jacket just kept going. If anything the Nosler's were even more destructive when they tumbled.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

It was two shots at the same buck. The range was less than 75 yards, and my loads were quite warm back in those days (mid-'80s). Both landed in the ribcage close behind the shoulder about two inches apart as evidenced by the entrance wounds. There were no exit holes. At the first shot the buck started to run, but stopped after 10-20 yards because he saw me racking the second round in the chamber and may have heard the "clack-clack" of the bolt on my M70 XTR featherweight. At the second shot he took off and ran toward the road about 150 yards, collapsing in the ditch (handy). Yes, the deer died, and I did not say the words "bullet failure" in my post. The insides of the deer were mush, but I didn't find any bullets, only fragments. Maybe they were there and I just didn't find them, but they didn't exit.

I can't and wouldn't say this would happen with "any" partition, but on that day, with those 130/270 partitions in that load, that is exactly what happened. I don't remember the exact load under those partitions that day, but I do remember that in those days I loaded 61.5gr of W785 or 60gr IMR4831 under other 130 grain bullets with CCI magnum primers. Both loads were above book max and I do not recommend anyone use them.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lonny,
Definitely something unusual happened to that bullet on the left. Somehow the base contacted something with enough force to squirt the base lead out the base - hence the little petals. The front half looks like it would have been normal except something pushed the bullet off center. My thought is that the bullet came in contact with some woody vegetation before entering the animal. Others may differ.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 08/06/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Big Redhead,
Your experience isn't exactly unique, it usually takes a large magnum to do it and high impact velocities. I'm surprised the 270Win achieved it. Solution is usually to up the projectile weight and hence reduce the speed. The base is usually in the animal, somewhere, but fails to keep tracking in a straight line.
Cheers...
Con

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 270 Win and the Nosler 130 gr Partition will killed any Elk you shoot as long as you shoot him where he lives

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

It was two shots at the same buck. The range was less than 75 yards, and my loads were quite warm back in those days (mid-'80s). Both landed in the ribcage close behind the shoulder about two inches apart as evidenced by the entrance wounds. There were no exit holes. At the first shot the buck started to run, but stopped after 10-20 yards because he saw me racking the second round in the chamber and may have heard the "clack-clack" of the bolt on my M70 XTR featherweight. At the second shot he took off and ran toward the road about 150 yards, collapsing in the ditch (handy). Yes, the deer died, and I did not say the words "bullet failure" in my post. The insides of the deer were mush, but I didn't find any bullets, only fragments. Maybe they were there and I just didn't find them, but they didn't exit.

I can't and wouldn't say this would happen with "any" partition, but on that day, with those 130/270 partitions in that load, that is exactly what happened. I don't remember the exact load under those partitions that day, but I do remember that in those days I loaded 61.5gr of W785 or 60gr IMR4831 under other 130 grain bullets with CCI magnum primers. Both loads were above book max and I do not recommend anyone use them.

BR: Well sounds to me like they were both in the animal nd you just did not bump into them in the butchering process.....I HAVE seen that,which is why I have some recovered 130 270's here.On shots through the chest, into offside bone and heavier muscles of shoulder meat, they will sometimes be stopped....especially at "woods" ranges,where impact velocity is high.

OTOH, last year I kiled a buck on the run at about 70 yards....snapped the spine behind the shoulder and he was killed instantly.....the 130 partition exited....I could ditto that on more animals than those that did not exiit, which is why I only have a few recovered bullets.

Lony, that looks like a tumble for sure.....same thing happened to me with a 160 7mm.

Scott how the hell did you blow up and X? grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Lots of little shreds of lead though...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Maybe 15 years ago I shot a mule deer buck in the chest as he faced me in lodgepole timber. The range was 30 yards, the bullet a 140-grain Nosler Partition from a 7x57, started at 2900 fps.

The buck dropped right there, as they often do when the bullet hits the little dimple at the base of the neck. The bullet didn't exit so I looked for it a little while doing the field-dressing. I didn't find it, but did trace it's path through the diaphragm and paunch, so assumed it was left on the mountain in the gut-pile.

About a year later I was eating one of the buck's round steaks and bit into something hard. This turned out to be a perfectly expanded 7mm Nosler Partition that somehow had slipped between two knife-slices when we butchered the buck. (Well, some people would claim the bullet wasn't perfect, since it "failed" when the front core blew off, but I have ALMOST given up explaining that no, that's the way they're designed to act.)

About 3-4 years ago I killed a 6-point bull elk with a 180-grain Tipped Trophy Bonded from a .30-06 factory load. The bull was angling away at 250 yards and I put the bullet in the middle of the ribs on the right side, so the bullet would angle toward the left shoulder. The bull stood there stunned for a little bit, then some other elk that had been in the timber went running by and he tried to go with with them. "Tried" is definitely the word, since he only got 20 feet, then stopped again, this time broadside, and I shot him again behind the shoulders and he dropped.

The second bullet exited, but the first didn't. As with the deer, my wife and I butchered the bull ourselves, but never could find the bullet, despite looking hard. I doubt that it blew up, since the rear 2/3 of a Trophy Bonded is solid gilding metal.

So, one bullet I couldn't find was discovered a year later, and another was never found, despite the fact that I'm sure it didn't disintegrate. Not finding a bullet doesn't prove it wasn't there, and even finding fragments from a Nosler Partition doesn't prove it disinegrated, since the front third is designed to disinegrate. But without finding anything, we never actually know what happened.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Maybe 15 years ago I shot a mule deer buck in the chest as he faced me ... I didn't find it, but did trace it's path through the diaphragm and paunch, so assumed it was left on the mountain in the gut-pile.

About a year later I was eating one of the bucks round-steaks and bit into something hard. This turned out to be a perfectly expanded 7mm Nosler Partition that somehow had slipped between two knife-slices when we butchered the buck. (Well, some people would think the bullet "failed" because the front core blew off, but I have ALMOST given up explaining that no, that's the way they were designed to act.)

John, I would respectfully submit that if you had shot that deer broadside, that Nosler would have "penciled on through" and therefore failed..... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Of course! I've seen it many times....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Damn Noslers anyway.....they always do that..... laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 15 invisible), 1,904 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.