Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Looking at a used 2005 half ton Chevy. It has push button 4wd.

There is the top button labeled "Auto 4x4"

What does it do and is it any good? When or why would I use it?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The button is great and probably the toughest part of the 4x4 system.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It electronically decides when you need 4x4 based on a computer's assessment of traction at any given moment. Most of the ranchers that I know that have that option run their pickups and SUVs in Auto 4x4 all the time. One guy told me that his Land Cruiser "lives in Auto 4x4". These are guys that live far from the pavement. I tend to use it only occasionally in the winter or in monsoonal rain storms. I have had it on the last three 4x4 GMC pickups and admittedly used it only sporadically.

Is it "any good"? That depends a lot on where and how you drive. It's a nice option to have if your wife or kids don't use 4WD much or don't pay a lot of attention to road conditions.

Last edited by mudhen; 08/08/11.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
One of the features I liked best on the Chevy I had.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah, its what mine is usually set on driving around town in the winter when its icy...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Does it flip the truck into 4High automatically, or does it somehow apply brake pressure to the slipping wheel, or does it perform some sort of locker function?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by tzone
One of the features I liked best on the Chevy I had.

+1

Great for around town at stop signs or signals. Everybody else is churning butter and I'm humpin' to the coffee shop.

City truckin' and all..........................<grin>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Auto 4x4 works great on my '08!! During the winter months, my truck pretty much stays in Auto 4x4.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I've been told that it puts the truck in AWD: it sends power to the other wheels when one starts slipping. 4HI locks all 4 into turning at the same rate, regardless of traction conditions, or the speed of each wheel. My understanding is that Auto 4x4 is what you should use on pavement, on account of it won't grind the tires when you're turning. Theoretically, this makes it "safer" than using 4HI, because the tires aren't made to lose traction by being forced to turn at a rate other than what the ground speed would indicate.

I've had it on 3 work trucks & 2 personal SUV's, & I like it fine. I don't know if it's a huge selling point, but it seems to work pretty well.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I've been told that it puts the truck in AWD: it sends power to the other wheels when one starts slipping. 4HI locks all 4 into turning at the same rate, regardless of traction conditions, or the speed of each wheel. My understanding is that Auto 4x4 is what you should use on pavement, on account of it won't grind the tires when you're turning. Theoretically, this makes it "safer" than using 4HI, because the tires aren't made to lose traction by being forced to turn at a rate other than what the ground speed would indicate.

I've had it on 3 work trucks & 2 personal SUV's, & I like it fine. I don't know if it's a huge selling point, but it seems to work pretty well.

FC

Love the feature have it on my 2004 and it does what you just said.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My understanding is that Auto 4x4 is what you should use on pavement, on account of it won't grind the tires when you're turning.

throw a "usually" in front of the wont and your more correct....they will catch sometimes, but far less than in normal 4 high...it seems to me its some variation of AWD, not quite as locked up as when yah put it in normal 4 but flip a U-y on dry pavement instead of ice and your front tires will usually grind them a bit, though no where near as bad as in normal 4wd

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The electronic 4WD/Auto 4WD is mechanically the same system as a manual shift 4WD. It uses a button instead of a lever to engage the front differential/4WD. It's not AWD. AWD requires a different transfer case set-up.

Auto 4WD uses the wheel speed sensors to detect slippage in the rear wheels and then automatically engages the front differential/4WD. It also automatically shifts back into 2WD thus no crow hopping or grinding the tires at low speeds on pavement.

The advantage of auto 4WD is in intermittent slippery, snowy, icy conditions on pavement where you don't want to have it locked in 4WD.

IMO, it's a very good system.

edited to add: The front tires will crow hop if it hasn't shifted into 2WD - the same as with any chevy 4WD. The front differential is the standard open dif used in all chevy trucks.

Last edited by fish head; 08/09/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great for winter driving.Use it all the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had it on the '06 Sierra, have it on the '10 Silverado. As others have noted, generally use it on the road, whenever road conditions vary during winter driving, from some snow or ice, to light snow covered roads.

If conditions worsen and warrant it, put 'em into 4WD high. Otherwise, the "on demand" system works fine.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I can figure out when to use 4 wheel drive. I like the lever on the floor of my truck. mtmuley

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I like the high beam button to be on the floor as well but good luck finding a new rig with that

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What does it do and is it any good? When or why would I use it?

That was the OP's question, hence the answers from those familiar with it.

I can figure out when to use 4 wheel drive. I like the lever on the floor of my truck. mtmuley

Yeah, me too. Back when manual hubs and manually-shifted TCs were the norm. I have no problem adapting to some of the new-fangled chit offered today.

Case in point: Back when dash-mounted buttons began to appear for selecting 4WD, insisted the ol' lady order her new '94 GMC with the manual TC floor shifter, on the premise that it was one less electrical doohickus to ef up.

Didn't do any good. We had a major blizzard here in '96 and when we needed 4WD, had none. The electrical switch that locked the front axle in, took a dump during the blizzard. No manual option for that one, although eventually someone invented a manual cable aftermarket doodad to solve the problem of a bad switch.

Yep, manually-selectable stuff is great. But the OP wanted to know if auto AWD worked and what it was "good fer". It's "good fer" days when parts of the roads are bare, partially snow covered or icy in some stretches. Poke the button and drive. The system figures out when it needs to be engaged and when it doesn't, as road conditions change.

Just for the hell of it, once pushed the auto button and headed up into a steep, snow covered field in deer season. Truck moved along fairly well, but too much thrashin' to suit me, as it fought with itself as traction came and went. So naturally I just poked the 4WD high button and proceeded without any drama. That's what that option is for.

A neighbor's first 4WD vehicle was a new Chevy shortbed, '76 IIRC? Manual hubs, floor TC shifter. First snow storm that year, he headed off to the inlaws. Some snow covered roads, mostly bare. Left it in 4W high for the entire trip. Grumbled later that it sucked too much gas, couldn't turn the wheels sharply in a parking lot. Told him he could've just shifted the TC back into 2WD, put it in 4WD if it was needed. He thought that was "too much trouble".

He swapped it on a new Blazer with their then-new version of AWD.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Something we have noticed at the shop. The auto four wheel drives can cause the transfer case to start leaking. Puts some extra strain on the rear of the unit and will crack and develop a leak. Seen some at 100k to 150k with the problem.

Chris

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dubePA

Case in point: Back when dash-mounted buttons began to appear for selecting 4WD, insisted the ol' lady order her new '94 GMC with the manual TC floor shifter, on the premise that it was one less electrical doohickus to ef up.

Didn't do any good. We had a major blizzard here in '96 and when we needed 4WD, had none. The electrical switch that locked the front axle in, took a dump during the blizzard. No manual option for that one, although eventually someone invented a manual cable aftermarket doodad to solve the problem of a bad switch.

Shifting on the '94 was controlled by a heated gas cylinder. Sometimes in real cold weather the gas wouldn't expand enough to engage 4WD, or it would take awhile. In real hot weather sometimes the heated gas wouldn't allow 4WD to disengage. And it wouldn't shift when things wore out. The factory retrofit was a solenoid which should've been there in the first place.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have it on a 2000 GMC. I initially used it on icy roads in town, but could not tell if I needed it since I wasn't slipping anywhere. These were some real icy roads. So one morning I decided to try it without the Auto 4x4 engaged. I was slipping all over the place so turned it back on. As soon as I hit the button all slipping stopped and I had full control again.

I used it to get out of our 1/4 mile driveway in the winter at times to see how well it does. There is no difference between it and having it locked into 4x4 from what I can tell. We have it on our 2005 Suburban too. It's great when traveling highways in the wintertime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.