Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
MarkFed Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Just picked up a 1999 Ruger M77 MKII at a steal of a price. All of the blued metal looks 100% but there are some nicks, dings, and gouges in the otherwise nicely grained stock. It wasn't shot much but it was hunted for several seasons.

Now that you have the gist of what I'm working with I need some help selecting some after market rings. I don't have many ruger rifles but the ones I do own I bought new. This one being used the slotted screws in the top of the rings are quite buggered. I am thinking I want some aftermarket rings that are either HEX or TORX.

Let me know what rings you would use on your M77 MKII and why you like them better than the competitors and/or the factory Ruger rings.

Thanks

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leupold..period
lighter,cleaner....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hex or Torx from Brownells. Why buy new rings when screws will do?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The newer TORX screws eliminate all problems with the Ruger rings.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Until Talley comes out with Ruger rings I've never had any others that were better than the stockers.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is there a problem with the Ruger factory rings?

JEff

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Weight is the only issue and it ain't a big one. No others are as strong nor come hooked to the rifle when you get it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rifle's got it with the Leupolds. Use the lows if you can; the highs are, well, very much so. Burris lows work well and are more moderately priced, just not as svelte as the Leupolds. They're also a wee bit higher than the factory mediums. GeoW's suggestion regarding new screws makes good sense; never had any problems with the factory rings. There's more but that's the big chunks.

Best Regards

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nothing wrong with ruger factory rings. When you take into acct. that you don't need bases, that makes up for the weight factor of the factory rings. They are strong as hell. If it were mine, I'd just replace the old slotted screws with the torx type.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ruger rings suck. Get some Burris or Leupold. The Burris are cheaper...

IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I ordered torx head screws from the Ruger web sight to replace my slotted screws. Much less money than all new rings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All my Rugers have Ruger rings. The older ones have slotted screws and they can stay that way until I replace the scopes. The newer ones have Torx and I have some spare Torx in a bag in case I ever need to replace some slots.

Have to agree the Ruger rings and mounting system are rugged. Never had a problem of any kind with them.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
All my Rugers have Ruger rings. The older ones have slotted screws and they can stay that way until I replace the scopes. The newer ones have Torx and I have some spare Torx in a bag in case I ever need to replace some slots.

Have to agree the Ruger rings and mounting system are rugged. Never had a problem of any kind with them.

Another nod for the Ruger rings with torx screws...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger rings work just fine. Wish they were a little lighter, but not a big deal. All that being said, I can't believe Talley won't build LWs or regular. Another thing that would be sweet is if Ruger sold QD attachment screws for the African's. That would be skookum (to quote the thonged one eek ) .

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bloodworks
Weight is the only issue and it ain't a big one. No others are as strong nor come hooked to the rifle when you get it.

The rings are bit heavier than some, but most guys seem to forget that there is no separate base. Some of the other rings are lighter, but when you add in the weight of a separate base plus the weight of the rings used on other rifles the Ruger rings don't seem so heavy.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with dogcatcher223, every set of Ruger rings that I've dealt with had ring-to-ring alignment issues, one set was visibly out of line.

Running a lapping bar in them quickly showed 15 to 20 percent contact with the scope, and misalignment was enough I didn't like the thought of the stress on the tube.

The Leupolds I've used to replace them are much more in line with each other, and a quick lapping job gives them 80+ percent contact.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ruger rings are heavy, poorly cast, and good at marking up scopes.

I agree, the Leupold rings are very nice. Still not sure why Ruger casts their rings, instead of machining them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
2 minutes with a lapping bar works wonders. I've had to lap Leupolds as well. They are only scope rings. We ain't talkin' quantum physics here.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I have used a couple different setups, but if they are properly fitted the Ruger rings are exceedingly strong. I've had excellent repeatability using a set as detachable upon one rifle. I've also used Leupold and Burris. I want no part of another pair of Burris rings, but the Leupolds are a very good option. They are lighter and trimmer than the Ruger rings. Though they may not be as strong, I've not had any issues with them.

If you are disturbed by the screws appearance I recommend you buy a new set of Torx screws. At $3 per set it will make them look like new...

LINK

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
I have used a couple different setups, but if they are properly fitted the Ruger rings are exceedingly strong. I've had excellent repeatability using a set as detachable upon one rifle. I've also used Leupold and Burris. I want no part of another pair of Burris rings, but the Leupolds are a very good option. They are lighter and trimmer than the Ruger rings. Though they may not be as strong, I've not had any issues with them.

If you are disturbed by the screws appearance I recommend you buy a new set of Torx screws. At $3 per set it will make them look like new...

LINK

X2 on the repeatability with Ruger rings. I've tig welded some levers onto the nuts and also just use a coin and every set I've checked has been 100% repeatable after lapping.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.