Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I am referencing a recent thread on the Elk hunting forum. It shows a video of this happening and the guy makes what I called a lucky shot and gets a beautiful bull.

What are your thoughts on this? I personally hate this shot, think it leads to wounded elk in most cases and is not an ethical shot at all. I am glad I was wearing my asbestos underwear because I got torched for my views.

I am 54 and have hunted with a bow since I was 14 and never have even remotely heard about this shot being anything BUT a mistake. In my experience, I have always gone for the double lung shot, as I have seen too many get away with just one lung gone.

To hear from some of these responses on that thread, I represent all that is wrong in the world, with me being responsible for inflation, the sub-prime mortgage mess, poor gas mileage and those damn gay pride issues.

I'll stick with the double lung shot and go wash out my asbestos underwear again.

Here tis: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...0_380_class_archery_bull_vid#Post5457851

Last edited by Godogs57; 08/01/11.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I tried that shot about 10 years ago in Colorado. We found the bull...3 DAYS later. Never again will I take that shot.

That said, you'll never convince anyone that it's a poor shot choice on the internet. People have to learn from their own personal experiences.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The worst shot a bow hunter could take . Maybe he found it because of a high fence.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
After watching the last few of that second video over several times closely I believe.

1) That elk wasn't going to give a better shot.
2) It isn't the best shot and they stated that clearly in the video.
3) The hunter knew where the arrow needed to be placed, and he placed it damn near perfect.
4) It is amazing what a rack [(Hard) or (soft)] will make a guy do.
5) I would have taken that shot if it was me in his shoes. But I am confident I can make that shot and make it repeatably.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I would not attemped that shot with my recurve or longbow.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
well 50/50 chance of losing or retrieving your Elk . I guess you would just have to make a on the spot decision if it is worth it or not.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
my brother in law shot a whitetail straight on arrow went in never came out about 100 feet of blood trail never found deer. very poor shot choice.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think we all know it isn't the best choice of shot. Every situation would be different and I wouldn't take it in every situation. The conditions in the video appear to be pretty good for that one situation. I don't believe but will never know for a fact the bull was not going to give a better option. That doesn't mean take the shot. But to me it means evaluate the situation and decide. Things to concider before making the shot should be but not limited to #1 your confidence and honest accurrace with a bow. #2 wind and direction. #3 distance of shot and is there a clear shooting lane. If your not comfortable with the shot don't take it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Beats a broadside shot hitting too high, or in the shoulder. I actually think a quartering away shot is pretty risky. Got to clip the gut/liver going in, and all it takes is one quick step, and you are all paunch.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I made that very shot,not intentionally on a Mule Deer.As I let go of the string,the noise turned him and I hit it head on in the chest.He ran about 30 yards and pulled the arrow out with his teeth,then disappeared without any noticeable blood trail and up hill,to boot.

Chit happens bow hunting and I like speed and silence with strings.

Jayco

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
made that shot on this deer from 5 yds with my longbow. he didn't run but about 10 yds.have no idea how it would work on a elk.

[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I would NEVER take this shot on ANY game animal.

Not saying it couldnt be done successfully but thats a chance I'm not willing to risk.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
30 plus years of bow hunting I have learned not to shoot at alerted animals. So have always opted to pass on frontal shots because the animal is most likely looking at me and a very small lethal target. I'll pass for a broadside or quartering away shot.

I have seen my fair share deer lost by others to one lung hits over the years

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Stx, I think you made that deer hurt before he died.....nice shot. Like I said in the original thread, as bow hunters we have to play the percentages....striving to place the shot where there is the greatest percentage of a humane, quick killing shot.

That's just not the shot for me. But, I can in no way argue with your results.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Another thing......if you have a frontal shot, that means the critter is facing you....if he doesnt know your there he will continue walking past you offering presumably a better broadside shot.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
watch the video closer, I would bet the farm he was half a step from 180 and out.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
watch the video closer, I would bet the farm he was half a step from 180 and out.
Well sometimes that happens but risking a shot like that just because they "might" turn and burn?

C'mon...............

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That shot wasn't that high risk. Not the preferred shot but still a killing shot. Any archer that shoots good groups would be able to make that shot. Distance was within reason. If its not your shot that is ok. Of course we can debate long range rifle shots too as being risky.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I watched the video over again and I do not think the bull was about to turn and burn (at least right away) he was looking for the cow.

Even if he was to turn and burn...and you knew anything about hunting elk, there is a great chance you could stop him with a few hard high pitched cow calls......usually stopping them and they will turn around and look one last time....that is when you release your arrow...

For a double lung hit.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I disagree that Bull knew something wasn't right. But you are entitled to your opinion. Would that double lung shot make it more dead? Because to me dead is well dead. Like I said if you are not comfortable with that shot then I respect you for not taking the shot.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,919 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,355
Posts18,468,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.