24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pictures wildhobbybobby! Yes a 300 mag will work, and plenty of grizz have been taken since 1948 with a NPT. However I would take the bullet that shoots the best in your gun and has the best performance. If that is the NPT then so be it.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Premium bullets are the bomb!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Okay, so that doesn't quite 'say it' well. In fairness, I can't think of anyone other than Speer with their Grand Slams who calls their bullets "premium", so we can give the guys at Cerebus/Barnes a pass.

[Linked Image]

And just so no one thinks I'm taking a swing at Cerebus, here's a Cerebus/Remington that turned out well, if bullet remainders matter. (And it did make two holes; was recovered beyond the dead animal, unlike the two previous.)

The use of a bullet has a lot more to do with what ends up premium in the results or not. There would be a lot of fault on the user of a 200 Partition in a 300 mag if those results didn't turn out well. There are no grizzlies or moose that can't be dispatched quite handily by any reasonably competent person so equipped.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally I consider the Nosler partition a premium bullet and, when considering performance on all game, still one of the best of the best.
This bear was one of the largest bodied bruins that any of my clients have taken in thirty years. A single 200 gr Nosler Partition from the hunters 300 mag. stopped it within 30 yards.

[Linked Image]

It is hanging on a twelve foot ladder

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Now that's a bear!!!!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My bear pictured above is a long way from being as big as the one that Phil shows, but it was a 14 1/2 year old male brown bear taken on Admiralty Island in SE Alaska in 1987. The hide honestly squared 8 1/2 feet and the skull was 24 1/2 ".

That was before I knew about camera angles that can make a mouse look like a moose, so he looks smaller in the pictures than he really was. I have no idea about his weight...it was a spring hunt and he was a very husky bear according to the guide, the late Karl Lane of Juneau. He saw lots of bears in his career, and said that mine was bigger than most.

The point of this is that the first 200 gr. Partition at about 130 yards penetrated completely broadside and then headed for the Kamchatka Peninsula in Russia, as far as I know. The bear turned to run and I hit him again as he quartered away. That bullet broke his right hind leg and then penetrated the paunch and liver and was found under the hide just forward of the diaphragm after about 3 1/2 FEET of penetration. He did make it about 50 yards after the first shot, but after all, he was a grizzly bear, you know.

It looked like a hand grenade had detonated in the lungs from the first shot. The second bullet weighed 135 grains and had a classic mushroom shape with lead still remaining in the front core.

I like Partitions because they give deep penetration while still doing great damage along the way. Bloodshot meat (and other stuff) is exactly what you want on a grizzly.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 08/11/11.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I thought your bear looked to be at least 8 1/2'

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just uploaded a picture of the hide. I was 5' 10" tall and weighed about 315 at the time of the photo:

[Linked Image]

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unlike so many of the newer premium bullets, the Nosler Partition has a long and distinguished track record. Year ago the late Finn Aagaard was visiting us during bear season and one of our clients, who was hunting with another of my guides, wounded a bear that got away. I went to help track it and the bear had gone well over a mile before we lost it.
The client was shooting a 338 with 250 Partitions and had shot the bear while it was standing broadside in the open at 70 yards. He claimed he had hit "right on the shoulder". Finn's comment to him was that " if you had hit him on the shoulder with a Partition he would not have run a mile "
That has been my experience as well. Stick a Partition in the right place and you will have a trophy to take home.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or one could comment on the effectiveness of the 338 on bears. I know of some instances where that combo, and similar, have not worked well. I'm of the opinion, as I know you are too, that effectiveness of very adequate tools has considerable to do with their user.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If only that had been a 210 TSX.......

smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458Win
Personally I consider the Nosler partition a premium bullet and, when considering performance on all game, still one of the best of the best.
This bear was one of the largest bodied bruins that any of my clients have taken in thirty years. A single 200 gr Nosler Partition from the hunters 300 mag. stopped it within 30 yards.

[Linked Image]

Phil
You had to go and waste a trump card while I was still getting tugs on the chain I was pulling! wink

I have still recovered too many to like them "for the money", but I have never said they were a bad bullet.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
that effectiveness of very adequate tools has considerable to do with their user.

That is exactly my point. There is nothing at all wrong with the 338 with good 250 gr bullets. In fact one could argue that with it's velocity and high SD that it is one of the very best. The problem is being able to find a hunter who can place their bullets correctly. As tough as they are, bears are not bullet proof. I have watched clients completely miss bears, gut shoot them and even had a couple of them who even hit them in the hind foot and yet they all claimed to have hit them perfectly.
These guys are also usually the ones who brag about their shooting and insist that I never shoot.

Sorry Art, I wasn't paying attention. I'll let you work on them longer next time. wink

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
If only that had been a 210 TSX.......

smile

I know a few Kodiak guides who hate the TSX and other Barnes X bullets as they have seen bears get away after being shot with them and the hunter claims he "hit them perfectly"

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I suppose that shot placement had nothing to do with the lost animals, right?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

I suppose that shot placement had nothing to do with the lost animals, right?

confused
It doesn't matter what bullet you use or how big of caliber you shoot - shot placement has EVERYTHING to do with whether or not you kill an animal.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I haven't shot any grizzlies with the Nosler Partition, though did use the even "lousier" AccuBond with great results.

However, I have shot a number of elk with the 200-grain Partition--and an elk is about the size of an inland grizzly. The cartridges ranged from the .30-06 to the .300 Weatherby. Only one bullet stayed inside any of the elk, from a "raking shot" at 375 yards that happened to clip one side of the pelvis before ending up in the front of the chest.

One 6-point bull was shot at 75 yards quartering toward me, right in the big shoulder joint. The bullet went through the joint and the important plumbing behind it, then exited toward the rear of the rib cage.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

DAMN, what a bear !

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have watched clients completely miss bears, gut shoot them and even had a couple of them who even hit them in the hind foot and yet they all claimed to have hit them perfectly.
These guys are also usually the ones who brag about their shooting and insist that I never shoot.

Phil,

If only you had stayed anonymous on this board I never would have known you were not one and the same as a good friend (and guide) who passed away awhile back. The experiences you related here seem remarkably similar. One can always wish that the experience of some of the dearly departed might still speak to us via this medium, but alas, in this case anyway, the bubble is burst....

....kind of funny how a bear can make grown men, even competent, experienced hunters, get quaky, caliber carried notwithstanding wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This one was killed by a 200 gr Nosler out of a 300 Weatherby.

[Linked Image]

This one was killed by a 210 Nosler out of a 338 WM

[Linked Image]

This one was killed by a 180 gr Nosler out of 300 Weatherby

[Linked Image]

All 3 of those are Genuine 8' + Tundra Grizzlies. The bottom 2 are All-time B&C Book bears, and the top one just misses. Noslers of the various flavors work fine, assuming proper bullet placement.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Few more killed by Noslers of various flavors...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And this one was killed with a Savage 99 in 308Win. I gave the gun to my Nephew and he kills Grizzlies with it. Good thing he doesn't visit this site! This sow did require a few shots though. Bro told me she's the meanest Bear he's encountered.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,083 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.