M
No report?

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I always weigh my cases and shoot batches that weigh within 2 grains of each other, trim all the same length, use perfect bullets (visual inspection). I always start seating depth at 0.020" off the L&G, and that fit into the magazine. I usually shoot a bunch of powders and charge weights, striving to optimize velocity and accuracy and hoping to find a non-temp sensitive powder combo that meets the accuracy/velocity goals I'm looking for. Once I find a load combo that appears to have potential, I usually load 3 cases with 0.5 grain increments on either side of the load to see what it does. I usually repeat the 0.5 grain increments 3 times to check for repeatability.

What's the typical runout for your cartridges?

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I found that in my 257 Weatherby, the 100gr TTSXs shot better with a deeper seating depth. jorge

Most Wby cartridges do.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I have hit upon the right load with as little as the first 10 rounds and as many as 450 rounds downrange before finding the right combination.

The best accuracy tweaks for me was to refine my bench technique during load testing. That included breaking some old habits, purchasing some quality bench components & listening to others vs. closing my ears because I thought I knew what I was doing.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You mention most reloading trys...what have you done to the rifle before firing the first shot?
IMHO, the best accuracy tweaks are ensured by a properly set up gun.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bwinters

What do you guys do when you get a load that is close to what you're looking for? What is the order of accuracy tweaks for hunting rifles, from most beneficial to least?

I sort by neck variance , and toss out the culls. Then find the bullet seating depth when working up. Sinclair makes a good tool:

[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Getting that last little gain or consistency can be a number of things, brass make, powder, bullet, primers, RO, SD, fine powder adjustments etc to name a few(all considering a good bbl abd solid platform) I find usually seating depth and RO to have the largest impact, but optimum powder, optimum charge weight, and even the primers can eek out that last little gain. It can be a pain for sure. I usually try wide varieties of off the wall load combos with 4 shot groups to start, then gear twds combos that work, focus on the best combos for the most consistency. Sometimes you find a consistent combo right out of the gate, sometimes it takes a while. I've had some hardheaded rigs that were very finicky, but at the same time seen some of those finicky rigs turn out to be surprisingly consistent after the effort. It's nice to have one once in a while that does outstanding with nearly everything you throw at it.

loder

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In my experience I found that on one rifle I owned seating depth made a 3" difference at 100 yrds.

I start at .010 off the lands and deal with powder charge first going 1 grain at a time 'til I find the best accuracy (keeping an eye on pressure signs). If I want to better it still I move the bullet back .010" at a time and after that .005" each way if needed.

This has worked good for me !

Last edited by rahtreelimbs; 08/14/11. Reason: added sentence
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
...The shape of the group tells all. If the groups is a large equilateral triangle, seat the bullets out a 1/4 turn on the die and repeat until the group shrinks. If the group is 2 together with the 3rd out there, seat the bullet deeper in the same manner, a 1/4 turn at a time and the group will shrink.

John

I have been taking this advice to extremely good effect in the last few months.

I'd always just seated bullets .020" off the lands and called it good. If the groups were large or that "1 and 2" or "2 and 3" effect I went off looking at bedding, primers, adjusted the powder charge, etc. etc.

Now I start at .020", work up powder charges to my desired velocity and then move the bullet nearer or farther according to the above.

I move in .010" increments and when I read your "1/4 turn of the die" method my first thought was that's a bit much, but then realized that's .0125" or 12 1/2 thousandths, which is too near the same to fret over.

Here's a good example of how seating depth will affect an otherwise identical load. I posted this originally here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...other_lesson_in_seating_dept#Post5240064

The top two groups are .010" from the lands and the bottom two are .030". BTW, this does show that powder charge still plays a role, the left and right pairs are only one grain apart in charge weight.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 52 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.