Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My wife has repeatedly declined to own a gun of her own and the notion of carrying one (and possibly using it) just wasn't even on her radar. But...

After hearing about another kid getting grabbed in broad daylight about 70 miles from here, she decided she was not going to stand by, helpless, if it happened to her and our girls. So, on our anniversary, she suggested we go to Cabela's. She stepped up to the gun counter, fondled a few Kimbers and said, "I want one of these." Quietly thrilled that she wanted a gun, I politely pointed out that she might be better served with a smaller cartridge, like a 9mm. She said, "No. I like this one." And the discussion was over...

I got online and ordered it for her, along with a couple extra magazines. It arrived yesterday:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We went to the range last night, and all I had were 230 gr bullets loaded up. (I plan to load some 185's for her). She barely had the strength to put 7 rounds into a magazine. Pulling the slide back was just as difficult. She looked up at me while I watched with an eyebrow lifted, and said, "Don't worry. I'll get it." I didn't doubt her for a minute.

She struggled to get comfortable with her grip, but then proceeded to shoot 7 rounds at 21 feet into a group that you could cover with a playing card. It wasn't spectacular shooting, but for her first handgun ever, I was pleased as punch. Plus, if she can do it under pressure, she'll never come home from the mall one kid short.

So anyway, I am proud of her. She shot about 5 more mags worth and then we went home. It was a good day. smile

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The lady has taste and I have no doubt that any idiot stupid enough to mess with one of her kids would live past the second round. Good for both of you. Now I just hope she does not clean my clock shooting pins. eek

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
grin cool

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what did she have to say about recoil and weight, etc?

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
She was OK with the weight--after about 20 minutes of shooting, though, she was done.

The jury is still out on the recoil factor. She's determined, but I could tell she was anticipating the recoil. But, with lighter loads, and a lot of practice with both her gun and my Ruger MKII .22lr, she might do fine. Otherwise, a CDP or Aegis in 9mm might be in her future.

She was all smiles on the ride home and was talking about going shooting Sunday after church. So, it's looking good so far.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At least she didn't pick a pink one.

Thanx for the feedback

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Phew. From the title, I was expecting tragic news. Glad it was something good instead.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Went through a similar routine Thursday. Took Mama to the range along with the 45acp, 38 Super and my Featherweight Roberts. She wasn't too taken with the 45 but now has designs on both the Super and the Featherweight after knocking small plastic bottles all over the field with the Super at about 25 yards and shooting consistent 1" groups with the 257. She quietly mentioned to friends this morning that she's going deer hunting. And she keeps bringing up the Super. The writing is on the wall.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You get some of those 180 gr loads loaded up and she just mike get to liking the little 45. Wish I had a 180 gr mold. I would cast up a bunch for you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Way to GO Wade, we need more lady's like that, I am thankful mine has carried for a number of years already.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotta love a wife that shoots, especially one that likes it!

Mine likes my 1911, and she likes the .44 Redhawk , too, but a nagging softball injury(she broke 2 bones in her wrist) cuts her stamina with the harder kickers.

I got her a Bersa Thunder .380, and she loves it, and is SCARY good with it within 10-15 yards.

Last edited by 68injunhed; 08/13/11.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
From my standpoint i would give her time to work it out herself, she may be able to work out the muscle factor of racking the slide.
As to the bullet weight and recoil, my wife is a greatgrandmother and has trouble racking the slide on an automatic. Having said that, when i first bought a super redhawk, it was loaded with 180grainers, she fired it without issue.
And she prefers a model 66 smith to a 36.
I wouldn't prejudge it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Teach her to do the push/pull method when racking the slide, this requires a little coordination but if she does it right it will work fine for even the smallest of stature. Hold the gun and form a C clamp with the opposite hand using all four fingers and the thumb. C clam the rear of the slide near the rear sight where the grooves are, push forward the grip in the right hand while simultaneously pulling rearward with the left, this should generate enough momentum to rack the slide with minimal effort. It will require her to practice it though! Tell her to not ride the slide once it is pulled rearward let the slide "slam" forward to rack. Also teach her failure to fire drills and how to get a semi auto back into the fight! My last suggestion is to get her decent training and make sure to routinely practice shooting with her. Congratulations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
also when doing the push/pull method keep the gun close to the body, like opening the lid on a jar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm, I'd be careful racking one in next to my body, just in case.

She does have good taste, hope that works out well for her.

For ladies, I often recommend a revolver as they are easy to load, no safety, etc. Fill the cylinder, close, fire.

A J or K framed Smith in 357 can be loaded w/light recoiling specials and later anything from 110-125s in HP from either +p 38s or 357s will do great w/less recoil...for 2 legged vermin.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Waders;

Don't fret the recoil. My wife carried a 3" Kimber for years, and the recoil wasn't an issue with practice.

PM me with how she plans to carry it, and perhaps, I have a few things here she can use, now that my wife carries something else.

As for carry loads: Speer GoldDot ShortBarrels, or CorBon DPX. Trust me on that one.

And, PLEASE teach her to use the sights FIRST, not the laser. Don't want to bet her life and safety, or that of one of your girls, on a battery or light conditions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keeping the firearm close to the body gives her the leverage to rack it instead of brute strength. I didn't say point the gun at herself in the process but she needs to use caution when handling any firearm most definitely. Also she needs to watch when she brings her hand over the firearm not to laser her hand when doing the C clamp, all valid points.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
65BR;

Tried that. Thought the same thing.

My wife HATED the J-frame snubbie in .38 or .357 due to the recoil hitting the web of her hand.

The sub-compact 1911? Deadly, and confident.

It has to, always, be her/their choice.

If Mrs. Waders has chosen, let her run with it. She'll be fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right on VA..... My experience with a non shooting wife mirror VA's in many ways. Sherri went through several guns before settling on HER Colt Cobra 38 special. She even found it and made the deal at a gunshow that we were at together. I was running our table when she came back from a gun show stroll with this sweet little 60's vintage Colt Cobra and I gave it my enthusiastic Blessing after which she went back and haggled out a deal on the spot without my being anywhere near. I was so proud of her! It is critical to allow the lady to pick out her gun and shoot it until she decides that she likes it or not. Losing money on a coule of gun trades was and is a small price to pay for getting my lovely wife into shooting a bit and carrying a good gun when in the rougher parts of town like in the niehborhood of the mission where she works full time.

Practice days are spent shooting light loads, but in the gun are six +P Gold Dot 125's. They might wreck her gun if she shoots all six at once, but we can replace the gun.....

Waders, CONGRATULATIONS! I am thrilled for you, amigo. Very glad to hear that your wife and girls are now protedcted by the KIMBER security system and agency!

We sure saw at the 24hrcf bowling pin shoot that a new shooter of female persuasion, even one of smaller stature, can indeed shot pretty darned well with a 45ACP right from the get go with a little instruction and patinece. Hippiechick was even shooting my quite light aluminum framed 4 inch Pro Carry Kimber which bucks a bit. Yeah, a revolver might have been a more ideal choice, but that SHE picked out what SHE wanted you did the right thing by letting her get and start with that. She might keep it forever, might change her mind after a range session or two (girls do that, ya know,,,) but in any case you, and your family, have WON. Good on ya!

Last edited by safariman; 08/13/11. Reason: SP

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had to chuckle when thinking about this today. I have met the lovely Mrs Waders. I got to thinking about the surprised look on the face of any bad guy that decided to mess wit her or any of her family. The best undertaker in the world would never get the look of shuck of the decease's face. grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
623 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.