Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I recently read one of John's articles from a few years ago. I think it was titled, "Handloads That Work". This article inspired me to try Ramshot Magnum for my 300 Win with the 200gr Accubond.

I had previously tried Retumbo with good accuracy, but the velocities were very low. 3-shot groups were well under an inch at 100 yards, but 2650 fps seemed rather slow for a 300. Ok for a 30-06, but slow for the win mag. I had reached max published loads and didn't want to push it into no-man's-land without pressure data. At SAAMI COAL the powder was getting compressed as well with max charges.

I also worked up to the max published load with H1000 and accuracy was poor at 2700+ fps. I think it would have shot well at 2600 fps but this didn't do any better than Retumbo. I did shoot a mulie last year with the Retumbo load, but wanted something 'more' for this year's hunt.

John had written that Ramshot Magnum was very good in the 300, so I sent Ramshot an e-mail for a suggested load range. I'm glad I did. I'm getting excellent accuracy, velocity, and its extremely clean burning. Velocity is 2900 fps, and my last 4-shot group was under 7/8" at 100 yards. 3-shot group was under 1/2". I'm shooting a Super Light from Tikka with a 2-7x Vortex. Total rifle weight is only 7 lbs, and the recoil is up there. Even so, I'm thrilled with this load and rifle.

The most surprising thing is that Ramshot Magnum seems to burn much cooler than Retumbo or H1000. I swear that the barrel cools much faster with Ramshot although the Super Light does have a fluted barrel and my load development with Retumbo and H1000 were done with a standard non-fluted Tikka.

With all three powders I notice that the hottest part of the barrel is about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from the chamber. Factory 180gr ammo, which I assume uses faster powder, always heats the chamber and very first part of the barrel. I can actually shoot 2 to 3 rounds with the Ramshot load without the barrel getting very warm. This really surprised me. And since this heat is away from the receiver it doesn't seem to affect bullet impact. The Tikka synthetic stock grips the receiver and first part of the barrel very tightly so heat in this area seems to cause vertical stringing. Not a problem with the Ramshot, although I never let the barrel get beyond warm to the touch.

Ramshot Magnum meters very well too, much better than the other two powders. And according to John, it is very temperature stable. I can't say enough good things about this powder for the 200gr Accubond in this rifle. And the Ramshot ballistician was very helpful. Much more helpful than some other powder companies.

I never thought about Ramshot, and never hear much about it for the 300 Win. Thanks for the article John. If it wasn't for that I never would have found this great powder and load. I'm thrilled to say the least. I thought I would have to try RL22 but was hesitant due to temp instability.

Last edited by 4th_point; 08/12/11.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
RS Magnum is good stuff. I've always had good luck with it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have had great loads with Ramshot Hunter in in my T3 30-06, great accuracy and very good velocities. All the other advantages stated above.
Thanks Mr. Mule Deer a wonderful load for hunting Canadian deer with a bonded 180 grn bullet. As stated above I too would never had knowen about it on my own. Buckfever1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use it in my 300WSM and my 270WSM.I get my best accuracy and highest velocity with it.Whats not to like????

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My #1 powder for my 264WM.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Glad to see others having success with it too!

With Retumbo I was getting smoked/sooty necks like many others I read about. With the Ramshot the brass is clean and it looks like complete combustion if the dust in my barrel is an accurate indication. The residue from the Retumbo looked chunkier if that's worth anything. To me it seemed like it wasn't burning as well but I'm not experienced in reading this sort of stuff.

Last edited by 4th_point; 08/13/11.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Been doing a lot of shooting lately, mostly with my 6.5s. My buddy came over and we went shopping at Sportsman's Whorehouse. He bought some Big Game and Tac- I bought some Accurate Mag Pro. All are ball powders.

We tried some different loads in his vintage Ruger 77 30-06 using 150 grain Ballistic tips and Sierra GKs ( this is what he had) With IMR 4895 and 4064 we could only get about 2850-2890 out of the 22" barrel. With Big Game we easily got 3030 FPS and TAC gave us 2995. Barrel was fairly easy to clean with the Ramshot compared to the 4895.

He was tickled.

As an aside, the Mag Pro really shined in my 6.5-284 with 140 AMAX but I hear it is not as Temp stable as some.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
4th_point
I've been using Magnum for a good while. Works well in most applications, escpically magnum calibers with medium to heavy bullets. Pressure testing shows very small deviations.
I just made a 300 RUM, loaded the customer 400 rounds using Magnum.
These Ramshot powders probably meter better than anything I've ever used.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Hey, Charlie, great to see you posting agsin. Please do more. E

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
They do meter very well! They don't work in a trickler very good though. Maybe mine is just sloppy, but the grains bind up the aluminum tube.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've found the opposite with my Redding trickler. It almost flows too well! I find that the powder is so easy to handle that I can use a dipper almost as fast as the trickler.

Maybe opening the hole in the tube would help?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eremicus
Howdy ! I've had my nose to the grindstone as of late, seems I get a little farther behind everyday.
A little thread creep here, please dont shoot me.....
I'm working on a test with Denton, will be testing pressure and velocity before and after using Dyna Bore Coat. I'm planning to use a 300 Win mag I've bulit, and use a factory rifle as well. Likely use Ramshot Magnum powder and Berger bullets.
I dont expect to see much on the Lilja barrel either way, but I'm expecting to see plenty on the factory barrel.
If you are interested I'll email you the results. Reckon the Campfire would be interested ?
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Charlie, yes the Camp Fire is interested. Also did you ever figure out the secondary pressure spike that you experienced with the 338 win with light bullets?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jwp475
Not really. Its there, but I'm not really smart enough or have enough equipment (or time :() to know very much. What I do now is when I use a light for caliber bullet, I always use a fast to mid-range powder for that cartridge. Seems to work well enough.
Denton could explain this a lot better than me, he has 1000 times the knowledge on these things as me.
Charlie

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I agree that Denton is sharp, but so are you and I enjoy your posts and knowledge and hope that you continue to post it here

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good to hear that so many people are having good luck with Ramshot powders. They're always among the first powders I try when starting to experment with an unfamiliar rifle anymore.

Big Game may be the best powder for 150-grain bullets in the .30-06 right now, and is certainly among the best.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A ballistician by the Johan Loubser for Ramshot helped me out a couple years ago. Ramshot didn't have any published data for the 358 Win, or 300 Savage - so I e-mailed, and recieved load data from 'em. The 358 loads were so-so ('bout equal to several others I use), but for the 300 Savage, let me tell ya, I've a Big Game load (they recommended), that tickles 2800 fps. That's steppin' right out there for that cartridge.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Johan has been the head of the Ramshot/Accurate pressure lab for several years now, and is one of the primary reasons it's such a good lab!

I'm assuming the 2800 fps is with 150's? I've had good luck with TAC and 125's in the .300 Savage as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm assuming the 2800 fps is with 150's?

Oh, I guess I kinda neglected a fairly important detail, and yeah, it's the 150's.>grin<

Sounds like a nice Italian kid.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Kinda interested in the before and after pressure test using Dyna Bore Coat. Hope its of no consequence.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
300 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.