Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
We have all these theoretical conversations about "energy levels" for various game animals.....the "conventional wisdom" used to be that an elk cartridge needed to drum up 2000 ft lbs of energy on the elk,and that was the max distance he should be shot....and that many bullets needed to be doing 2000 fps to expand properly...

Then, we see a guy like John Burns use a 140 gr VLD in a 264 Win Mag to kill a bull in its' tracks with a shoulder shot at 700-800 yards.....I don't know what the energy level nor velocity is of that load at that distance,but I will bet it is rather puny,even for a 264......likely under the minimum thresholds mentioned above,which sorta flies in the face of the minimum energy level argument....

This should teach us something,(but generally doesn't),as the evidence is there before our eyes, (but we deny it because it does not fit the preconceived notions we have developed or learned)....namely...that elk (or other animals)are not hard to kill if the bullet has enough velocity and integrity to penetrate to the vitals, and expands properly to destroy enough vital tissue to disrupt life giving functions(as the poster above indicated).

The reason, I think, that there is so much controversy about what works for elk,is that so many combinations kill them....and people will shoot well with a a 338,proclaim it the "best",and maybe shoot sloppily with a 280(not big enough),or vice versa,and conclude a 280 is plenty.

Also, as the poster above states,if we are not experienced, we look for fast, easy answers to complex questions,expressed numerically,to give us cold comfort that we have "enough gun"...

There isn't any doubt that some cartridges are more powerful than others,can at times give more dramatic results,but I have seen guys pick rifles based on numbers or "power",and shoot badly, leading to waves of dissapointment.

I think that so long as we are using something reasonable, the emphasis should be on marksmanship in the field,using good bullets,and less time pondering numbers.JMHO. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by logcutter

Speaking of broadheads..My choice I hunt with..Slick Trick.
Mine too.

Put your bullet where it needs to go with enough momentum to penetrate the vitals and you will have a dead Elk regardless of what the energy numbers are.

Jayco
Dang this is scary.....me agreeing with you twice in one thread. eek

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If an arrow doesn't pass through, stopping with the head inside, as the animal runs the arrow will keep moving around inside, cutting the innards to pieces.
Thats all nice and dandy but I prefer to have a complete pass through for 2 holes to bleed out of.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Look at the 30-30 Winchester and all the Elk it has put down..With a 170 grain Core-Lokt, the muzzle energy is only like 1800 fpe and that is at the muzzle.Below, at the muzzle, what some guru's think you have to have to kill Elk.

It's all wrong.Numbers don't kill Elk,bullets in the right place do.

Tom264..I promise I will try harder in the future not to say stuff you will agree with. laugh

Jayco

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Tom264

Put your bullet where it needs to go with enough momentum to penetrate the vitals and you will have a dead Elk regardless of what the energy numbers are.

Jayco
Dang this is scary.....me agreeing with you twice in one thread. eek

There is a tear in the Time/Warp Continuum....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fremont
I was listening to a few guys discuss and range seemed to be from 1600-2000 ft lbs energy at impact. Sound right to folks?

Well I suppose the "sound right" part would depend on whether the part about abunch of firearms experts at the range ( yeh that sounds about right) or the part about the real world what it takes to kill an elk. ( No that's a mucked up, or else nobody could ever take one with a revolver at any distance, a 45-70 or 30-30 much past about 50 yds, or any of the so called "hipower" rifles much past 300 yds....)

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Then, we see a guy like John Burns use a 140 gr VLD in a 264 Win Mag to kill a bull in its' tracks with a shoulder shot at 700-800 yards.....I don't know what the energy level nor velocity is of that load at that distance,but I will bet it is rather puny,even for a 264......likely under the minimum thresholds mentioned above,which sorta flies in the face of the minimum energy level argument....

This should teach us something,(but generally doesn't),as the evidence is there before our eyes, (but we deny it because it does not fit the preconceived notions we have developed or learned)....namely...that elk (or other animals)are not hard to kill if the bullet has enough velocity and integrity to penetrate to the vitals, and expands properly to destroy enough vital tissue to disrupt life giving functions(as the poster above indicated).

Seems that the minimum energy required is the level of energy required for the bullet to expand and still penetrate to the vitals. That minimum energy number varies by bullet design and is usually indicated as a minimum velocity rather than minimum energy because the bullets in a particular line of bullets are often designed to expand at a given velocity (e.g., 1800 fps), with the minimum impact energy being different for each bullet weight/mass in a given manufacturer's particular product line (e.g., Nosler Partition, Barnes TTSX, or Berger Hunting VLD).

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My only 6x6 dropped where he stood. 30-30 and a 160 grain LeverEvolution round at a ranged 110 yards from my 336 carbine. One shot...he quivered for a second, tried to take a step and went straight down. Oh, then the work began!

"Living is hazardous to your health..."
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by levergunfan
My only 6x6 dropped where he stood. 30-30 and a 160 grain LeverEvolution round at a ranged 110 yards from my 336 carbine. One shot...he quivered for a second, tried to take a step and went straight down. Oh, then the work began!

At 100 yards you had about 1600 fpe..Not enough energy.. grin

Congrats on the nice bull and speaking of bull,don't ever believe these numbers paper shooters use..You proved as zillions out there have,the 30-30 is deadly on Elk regardless of these silly numbers in the number game of hunting on the net.

Jayco

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What's the energy of a muzzleloader at say 100-150 yds? It's a proven killer of elk.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That depends entirely on the projectile, for a .50 caliber round ball (177 grains) it's much different than a 350-400 grain conical bullet.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
That depends entirely on the projectile, for a .50 caliber round ball (177 grains) it's much different than a 350-400 grain conical bullet.

I'm thinking good old fashioned round balls that have killed lots of elk.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Something I saved from Rifle magazine some years ago looking for a Muzzle loader change...

Furthermore, the �average� .58-caliber roundball shooting rifle is not allowed super-size powder charges by the manufacturer, so here is what happens: 100 yards from the muzzle, the .50-caliber ball delivers 485 foot-pounds (ft-lbs) of energy, the .54 almost 700 ft-lbs, while the .58 packs 589 ft-lbs, considering the velocities given each above. I rest my case for the .54-caliber roundball compared with the .50 and the .58, echoing once again, however, that if the latter can be driven at 1,700 fps at the muzzle, or faster, it will stomp on anything smaller, because the larger the ball gets, the better it retains velocity/energy.

So the .54-caliber roundball is deadly at close range. If that�s true, then the .54 conical has to be a powerhouse in a rifle allowed a healthy powder charge, and it is. Comparing two Knight rifles in calibers .50 and .54, a 385-grain conical in front of 120 Pyrodex RS by volume takes off at close to 1,500 fps from the .50-caliber rifle with a muzzle energy of 1,900 ft-lbs, while a 425-grain conical from the .54 with the same powder charge delivers 1,550 fps for a muzzle energy close to 2,300 ft-lbs. At 100 yards, the .50 delivers a 1,150 ft-lb blow, while the .54 cracks the ballistic nut at over 1,450 ft-lbs. That�s a significant difference, but because of heavy bullets available in .50 caliber, along with rifles that are allowed big powder charges, the .54 does not outshine its smaller cousin in the practical sense. Of course, it could with truly heavy missiles, just as a .58-caliber muzzleloader shooting heavy conicals whips either the .50 or .54, if the rifle is allowed a heavy powder charge.

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prm
What's the energy of a muzzleloader at say 100-150 yds? It's a proven killer of elk.

I'd keep round ball shots at under 100 yards. Fifty is better. Round balls slow down quickly, become unstable, and are inaccurate at long range.

As for the original question; yes 1600-2000 ft-pounds is generally considered appropriate energy for elk hunting with a modern, high-velocity cartrige. Its just one way of looking at how to kill an elk. Its only a number that gives a general idea of what to use, and as you can see, there are many exceptions.

Bill

There are many copies.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RR: Yup I think so......or something like that....

....anyway I notice the LR guys killing some stuff pretty damn "dead" at distances we thought "unthinkable" 25 years ago....and with pretty puny ballistics by the time the bullet gets there.... shocked

Which makes me think, maybe the elk were not all that tough after all..... whistle

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 100_dollar_Bill
[I'd keep round ball shots at under 100 yards. Fifty is better. Round balls slow down quickly, become unstable, and are inaccurate at long range.

I'm guessing you've got little to no real experience shooting roundballs?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What, you've never seen a roundball de-stabilize, start tumbling, and key-hole the target?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uhhh nope guess I never saw that. The targets I always retrieved had nice round holes in them and groups that were pretty good given the fixed iron sights.
Never saw one bounce off of a critter neither..
Guess the British army troops bitchin about colonial snipers and their pennsylvania long rifles knockin off officers at 300 yds was just so much bitchinbout nuthin also...

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Minimum energy requirements are stupid figures to base killing power off of. As other have mentioned, even round balls, arrows and just about anything reasonable will kill elk dead. Shot placement is key.

A 9mm or .357 at point blank range will blow the lungs right out of the biggest bull on the mountain. Nobody could deny that. Both have pretty pathetic energy, but will get it done. laugh I am not saying use them for elk hunting, just making a comparison. There are several guys on here that have killed several arks full of elk with .22-250's and .220 Swifts. Again, shot placement trumps energy EVERY time. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Watch this video of Lynn Thompson shooting Hogs and Buffalo in Austraila with a 44 mag shoot ing 300 grain XTP's. This load has about 959 FPE and every time Lynnshoots something hits the ground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKTeEmNUkjw

According to the minimum required FPE Elk, Lyn doesn't have enough

Minimum FE is BS

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.