Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Just think of it as super-dee-duper milk jug material!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
uhmw is some tough stuff with less wear then steel for most uses.

i make intake fins for jet outboard engines out of uhmw.we invented these fins to help protect the aluminum water intakes on lower units. i put 1/2 uhmw on my jetboat hull after getting stuck a few times on the rocks while fishing. the stuff is slick as snot. its expensive,but worth every penny.i will never own a shallow water boat without it.

here is the hull of my boat

[Linked Image]

this is a set of my fins on a outboard intake,the will force more water in the intake giving you better performance and give a wear surface on rocks and sandbars.

[Linked Image]

one me on the fly
[Linked Image]

Last edited by srwshooter; 07/29/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
UHMW = Good Stuff

[Linked Image]

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rubs my azz raw that my ole boat is solid aluminum on the bottom

often rubs the boats azz raw too

need to take pics of my pards SJ, he put the stuff on himself, including up the sides part way to mo betta bounce off big rocks

srw am thinkin your intake fins might have some merit, but it's also lowering or increasing the profile on the jet, what keeps the danged fins on when running skinny water and the occasional, oops?

seems like if a guy knocked one off, he'd need to raise motor and get rid of the other one, yes? no? maybe

anyway hope you'll expound more upon your invention, it shows merit to my weak lil mind

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by ironbender
Pavement is hell on that stuff!

Back in 2003 or 2004 a local was arrested in Fairbanks for running his airboat with a new UHMV bottom up and down Airport Road to prove that it could be done.

He had been out on the Chena River and stopped in at a bar on the way home. Supposedly he told the other patrons at the bar; "Hey, hold my beer and watch THIS!" laugh

We got an airboat stuck on a mudbar on the lower part of Alaganek Slough just outside of Cordova one moose season. Stopped the airboat on what we thought was a sandbar and got out to check out the area. When we got back in, the tide had dropped a bit and the boat was now GLUED to the bottom.

We had to go upstream, break a beaver dam, and add some water to help break us free.

I do love airboats, but they have their drawbacks too.

Ed

Having had the pleasure of sticking both of mine so far.... once each.... yes I know what you mean..... Currently I'm working towards enough motor/propeller that it shoudl be almost impossible... Water and or PVC or soap added to water.. or tire shine, or diesel... are all your friend... I have a full bottle of Armor All in the boat at all times.... Last September we were high centered trying to run through 10 foot tall green reeds about a mile to get to a pond.. and there was about 3 feet wide water about 6 inches deep.... Made it 7 times.... but last time I just wasn't heavy enough on the throttle.... 2 hours later we got the hull to touch water again.... was kinda funny getting off the boat to get out and see the hull a foot above the water....

Only other issue, generally when you get an airboat stuck, it may take another airboat to get it loose.... Mud I can deal with better than sand though. Long as I can get some water in the hull to pump out through the bilge...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
This defines contrast! smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
rubs my azz raw that my ole boat is solid aluminum on the bottom

often rubs the boats azz raw too

need to take pics of my pards SJ, he put the stuff on himself, including up the sides part way to mo betta bounce off big rocks

srw am thinkin your intake fins might have some merit, but it's also lowering or increasing the profile on the jet, what keeps the danged fins on when running skinny water and the occasional, oops?

seems like if a guy knocked one off, he'd need to raise motor and get rid of the other one, yes? no? maybe

anyway hope you'll expound more upon your invention, it shows merit to my weak lil mind

our jets have tunnel hulls and the intake is already up in the tunnel. i have seen guys that raised there engine height one hole after installing the fins. the fins have a notch cut in them where they mount on the side of the intake, this really helps . on impact the rods don't take all of the hit. i have seen them get broken off but thats very rare. i have never lost one on my boat,but i know they have saved my intake lots of times. there are a few total uhmw intakes on the market,but they are fairly pricey.

here a rear view of my intake after a year of beating rocks . you can see how much the fins have been torn up and worn away. most of the damage to my intake that you see was done before installing the fins. a new pair of fins every year is way cheaper then a new intake.you can also see the rear of the tunnel on my hull.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by srwshooter; 08/01/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tks srw, just saw this, after being at our cabin, ran fairly skinny water down, bathtub on the way out what with all the rain.

went over gravel bars on the way out that are normally exposed, but now had 3-4 inches of water over them. Why? because I could!

jet boaters get it.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

jet boaters get it.

_______________jet boaters rock?
Wait, is rock, so used, a noun or a verb?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.