Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
anyone use one? is it worth having along with my CrewCab?
the wife drew a moose tag and there will be packing by megrin

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Kifaru has one now also.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I don't hunt elk, but do hunt moose. Use a Mystery Ranch Load Sling installed under the pack-bag on a Dana Designs Load Master frame from about 10 years ago. When it's time to haul meat, I strip off the pack-bag, and cinch the load to the frame with the Load Sling. Pretty efficient. The rear quarters this year were about 125# each. Good system.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's nice to have for training purposes. Plates, bags of rice, sand, etc. can be tossed in easily.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Wondering the same thing nimrod - how useful is it? Hoping to hear more response.

IC B2

S
S
Works good and inexpensive if you already have a NICE frame. Got it for when I don't need the Wolf Alpha pack. I use the load sling with a SATL lid (Daypack Lib will work also)for inexpensive, lighter weight version of a Crewcab. For a such simple design, it works and very light weight.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Welcome to the fire. What is the SATL lid? I found that the daypack lid would not work with my load sling. Nof if everything was going to be properly cinched down anyway. The load sling works okay as a white trash crew cab if you carry your stuff in a dry bag. Ultimately though, I found that I needed a little more room (pockets) and got a crew cab. Between that an my 6500, all bases are covered.

S
S
"What is the SATL lid?"

The lid for the Mystery Ranch SATL pack: http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/c.999464/it.A/id.13015/.f?sc=7&category=45

I exchanged the Daypack lib off my Wolf Alpha pack for the SATL lid, liked it a lot better.

"a white trash crew cab" ?????

To each his own......

Had the Crew Cab -- sent it back, exchanged for a Longbow -- sent it back, exchanged for the Wolf Alpha -- exactly what I was looking for. The load sling fills in when I just need a frame to haul meat. So for me, this set up plus the MR DragonSlayer for a daypack and my longbow has all my needs covered

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I use the load sling in conjunction with a 6500 Nice for backpack hunts, it's nice to be able to drop the bag and gear and just haul meat if needed. For shorter hunts/day trips, the Crew Cab is perfect and is already an all-inclusive meat hauler, I really do not see much need for a load sling to supplement the C.C. IMO. The Mystery Ranch site has plenty of great "in-action" photos of the C.C. hauling hide, horns and quarters!

"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends upon the character of the user" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nimrod1949, you pay for postage and you can use mine for your moose hunt. Send me a pm if interested.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
seemed to work pretty good on this boned out muley, head, cape and horns...all in one trip down the mtn. I kinda rushed loading it up and didn't do the best job...couple pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Psalm 18:34 ->>---->
He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
have only used mine once and was not impressed using it to haul moose quarters with bone in.

front quarter was way too high and nada to lash leg to.

I much prefer my Barney's pack for hauling heavy loads, though on a boned out sheep I could see the load hauler doing okay, trouble is, I'm not going to carry it along with the 6500 bag i have for a sheep hunt. the meat will go in the bag.

so I'd probably sell mine fairly cheap if you're interested in it.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Will a Mystery Ranch Load Sling fit on a Kifaru pack as a beaver tail?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kifaru has their own, similar attachment, FWIW.

http://www.kifaru.net/grabit_hunt.html

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Barkeater, if you search around here, definately on the Kifaru chat forum you will find threads where people have put the MY load sling on the Kifaru frames. I think kifaru finally got sick of it and that's why they finally put out their own load sling a few months ago.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a ZXR, which I am assuming will have similarly spaced attachment points to the hauler frame. The Kifaru sling is a little more than I need and like all things Kifaru, "an investment".

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Thanks for all the help and offers guys! I ended up buying Strawman's load sling to give it a try. Hopefully it is in the mail and come October I can give a report smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.