Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's what is funny about you and most liberals. You all think you are the FIRST ones to be aware and to 'think' about these things.

You believe YOU (royal you) are the first ones to experience what we are experiencing.

There is much humor in your post, but thankfully for the ENLIGHTENED, such as you, we don't have to worry.

Thanks for standing that post...........laffin

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
It makes a mess we can't dispose of.

-------

Here's an example of how this'll work. My dumbass kid missed her bus, so I had to drive into Eugene to pick her up. At $3.65/gal, this cost me ten bucks. Annoying. At $10/gal, this is a $30 trip. At $15/gal it's a forty-five dollar car trip.

Many things we take for granted, become not feasable, with skyrocketing fuel.

Now add in that in a recession money gets tighter for most people and make it a BAD recession that never ends and the problem is clear. Economic paralysis. Now make a pair of jeans cost $70, instead of $30. Transpirtation costs... Ear of corn is $3.50 instead of 3-for-a-buck. Who buys it? What happens to the farmer, then?

This may very well be the tipping point that has me never vote Dem again- not advocating for the "D" view here- or it may convince me that national debt isn't even relevant anymore and therefore, not a deciding factor... but it sure does bear some thought beyond just the usual political crapola. IMHO.
The shortages are engineered on multiple levels in order to hike the prices. Three forces want prices high: the environmentalists (who want to impose on humanity a more low tech existence, population control, less pollution, less destruction of wildlife ecosystems, etc.), the globalists (who use environmentalism as a cover for their efforts to eliminate the middle class so as to restore worldwide feudalism), and those who profit from oil. The shortages are engineered in a number of ways, firstly by non-development of oil finds, secondly by slowing the rate at which it's pumped from the ground, thirdly by making fuel refinery regulations so burdensome as to be unprofitable, and fourthly by refusing to issue new licenses to build fuel refineries to replace those being shut down.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
I reckon some folks will have to move back to town! grin

Go to work, come home! X 5

Take a bath on Saturday and go to church on Sunday!

REPEAT!

Problems solved!
Local food production, too, would be a huge step in solving the problem. We don't need to import our food from Argentina or Australia, for gosh sake. We've become accustomed to that, but in my parents' youth folks ate the foods that were available locally and seasonally (as few could afford the prices that would need to have been charged to bring in imported food stuffs), and that was it. Huge savings in fuel costs right there.

PS The inability to afford imported foods was not due to the Depression. That was a steady state of affairs before easy credit. Same with cars, i.e., the vast majority only bought the lowest frills car available, because folks paid cash before anyone ever heard of a car loan, so the car manufacturers mostly made no frills cars. Few remember the days before the credit card, but that's a very recent phenomenon. Hell, check writing is a relatively recent phenomenon, which in the past was only something done by the extremely wealthy. All others paid cash for everything. Having to pay cash tends to make one frugal, i.e., motivates one to seek out the lowest possible price for every need. Medical insurence used to be like ten dollars a month, and had a $500.00 deductible, so everyone could afford it. Third party payer is the reason medical costs are so high now. And few were in debt. But banks only prosper when lots of folks are in debt, so frugality needed to be eliminated from the American culture, thus came easy credit.

So many problems could be solved by just putting the banks back in their boxes and getting government out of our lives, allowing the free market to operate to produce the most efficient economic system possible.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Things will become MUCH more local, and that ain't a bad thing.

It'll also smooth out the cheap labor in foreign markets problem. That labor will be much more expensive with transport for the goods factored in. Make it easier for the US worker to compete.

Looks like you beat me to it. So why were you pretending to be ignorant of possible solutions previously?

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Those aren't solutions. They are adjustments. They are what will come about AFTER the decades of pain.

Hey... I live in the woods, man. I just had a lunch in which only the tortillas and sour cream were from the store. The eggs, pepper sauce, onions, garlic, zucchini, chard, and corn all came from my land.

I'm not saying the sky is falling and we are all gonna die. I'm saying the sky is falling and we are all gonna suffer, that the very physical structure of our country will change, and that practically speaking we will be in a grinding recession for as long as it matters to any of us here.

I'm not saying more government is a solution. It's not clear to me that less is, either. Not that it matters. You and I both know government won't be shrinking. So what political philosophy deals best with compounding crises like the ones that are here, or coming?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That's what is funny about you and most liberals. You all think you are the FIRST ones to be aware and to 'think' about these things.

You believe YOU (royal you) are the first ones to experience what we are experiencing.

There is much humor in your post, but thankfully for the ENLIGHTENED, such as you, we don't have to worry.

That's borderline gibberish, smart guy. wink

If this is something you already knew- great! Obviously it's not something most here have yet assimilated.

You'll be fine anyway with your .gov pension. Working for the government since you were 18 has it's advantages.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 08/27/11.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Those aren't solutions. They are adjustments. They are what will come about AFTER the decades of pain.

Hey... I live in the woods, man. I just had a lunch in which only the tortillas and sour cream were from the store. The eggs, pepper sauce, onions, garlic, zucchini, chard, and corn all came from my land.

I'm not saying the sky is falling and we are all gonna die. I'm saying the sky is falling and we are all gonna suffer, that the very physical structure of our country will change, and that practically speaking we will be in a grinding recession for as long as it matters to any of us here.

I'm not saying more government is a solution. It's not clear to me that less is, either. Not that it matters. You and I both know government won't be shrinking. So what political philosophy deals best with compounding crises like the ones that are here, or coming?
The only thing that will prevent folks from adjusting to anything is government regulations and burdensome taxation. Government is almost never the solution. In the vast, vast, vast majority of cases, it's the problem.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That's not true, at ALL, in the environmental realm.

Besides, you are attempting to deflect this through minimalizing the stakes here. I'm saying, our houses will soon burn down, and we won't be able to rebuild them anytime soon. You are saying, living under a tarp in the yard is a solution.

It's an accommodation to the reality of one's house burning down, but it's a little disingenuous to call it a solution.

But if you are conceding the imminent fire, that's progress. smile

Last edited by Jeff_O; 08/27/11.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Not all of longed for soccer mom jobs. I'm happy to have served so you can continue to be a [bleep]'ish wimp.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Liberty works best. To maintain liberty, you need strictly limited government. To maintain strictly limited government, you need the rule of law rather than the rule of men, i.e., all are equally under the law, and no one possesses any arbitrary power, i.e., all actions of government officials need to be based solidly in legislated law. Note I specified legislated law, since any other (such as regulatory law created by agencies of government by unelected agents) is arbitrary and therefore despotic. All this along with a strict adherence to the subsidiarity principle. Look it up.

I'm inclined to agree with TRH's reply. I would add that in order for the above to succeed over the long, long, long run, it needs to be rooted in some fundamental moral absolutes, including: Human life is sacred, and all people are created equal and endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

If this is something you already knew- great! Obviously it's not something most here have yet assimilated.

You'll be fine anyway with your .gov pension. Working for the government since you were 18 has it's advantages.

No, it is not "Gibberish", Mister,.....and I followed what Scott said clearly,......

and would submit a big +1

Your entire OP screams "Nervous".....and agitated, and generally chitting bricks........

that's funnier than chit, too.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Besides, you are attempting to deflect this through minimalizing the stakes here. I'm saying, our houses will soon burn down, and we won't be able to rebuild them anytime soon. You are saying, living under a tarp in the yard is a solution.

It's an accommodation to the reality of one's house burning down, but it's a little disingenuous to call it a solution.

But if you are conceding the imminent fire, that's progress. smile
Liberty (which only exists in the context of the rule of law) is what unleashes man's super creative, problem solving, abilities. Where the state thrives, liberty fades, and so, therefore, does the creativity and problem solving capacity of humanity. No getting around any of those principles. They're as sure as gravity.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

One must first concede the constancy of change and the inability to predict the outcome.

You miss on both parts.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Change is conceded. Yet, in the realm of energy policy it's not actually happening, is it? Furthermore I don't think you are grasping the magnitude of this. There IS NO substitute for highly concentrated energy that is basically stored from past eras. We can concentrate energy in liquid hydrogen, but that's just a glorified storage medium- it takes more to do that, than you get back out. The biofuels are just a way for people to feel good; they are not a viable solution.

There simply isn't one.

Oh, we'll retool and rework our infrastructure; we aren't going back to the Stone Age. But COST is the key. Cost. Just as everything is becoming incredibly expensive due to skyrocketing energy costs, and the nations of the world are buried in debt... we are going to retool our transportation infrastructure? Globally? And that's somehow a good thing? Nah.

As to predicting, thinking the outcome of this is pretty simple to predict, though. Entire world economy entirely predicated on the availabilty of a finite, irreplaceable resource that's about to become less and less available.

Call me Nostradamus but that ain't a tough one.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

No, it is not "Gibberish", Mister,.....and I followed what Scott said clearly,......

Your entire OP screams "Nervous".....and agitated, and generally chitting bricks........

GTC

I'm actually sitting pretty on paid-for land with a year-round trout creek, deer, huge garden, and NO debt. I'm not chitting bricks. Im positioned, lol. I've been seeing this coming, generally speaking, since before there was an Internet for you to babble on.

However, it's time for us to start chitting bricks nationally on this subject. Time to pull back the Empire and TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS HERE AT HOME. This is real. It's gonna happen. TRH's "liberty" won't stop it. Neither will a dreadlocked hippie's biodiesel Jetta.

Mister. wink

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You remind me of the guy just south of you that's "Waiting" to get his "New" knees.....the azzwhole that has magazines he wants in the landfill,.....and thinks burying large Wildlife with a Backhoe is cool,.....on a board like this, Jeff.

You're both loud mouthed, arrogant (and by actual self proclamation), " I'm actually sitting pretty" types.

Sound pretty goddam nervous actually,....the BOTH of ya'

WTF would I know about "Sitting Pretty" ?

You think you're some sorta' Icon,....and the only swinging Richard around that ever had his act together ?

You're using words like "Gibberish" and "Babble" more and more in responding to those you just MIGHT (fat [bleep]' chance) actually be asking these deep troubling (to YOU , anyhoo) questions of.

By all means though,....KEEP WRITING.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

GTC

I'm actually sitting pretty on paid-for land with a year-round trout creek, deer, huge garden, and NO debt. I'm not chitting bricks. Im positioned, lol. I've been seeing this coming, generally speaking, since before there was an Internet for you to babble on.

However, it's time for us to start chitting bricks nationally on this subject. Time to pull back the Empire and TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS HERE AT HOME. This is real. It's gonna happen. TRH's "liberty" won't stop it. Neither will a dreadlocked hippie's biodiesel Jetta.

Mister. wink

face it bub...you are a target for the mass exodus from the city..................you are too close and screwed.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Scared little property pimp shopping for a Lathe ?

You better pay some attention,....this fellow's about to start "Making Things",.....for the new, and inexorably LOOMING "Era"

Really,.....go to "Burning Man" and find out....

you'll be "Sitting Pretty"

I fail to understand what chitting in one's own nest has to do with 'Pretty",.... myself.

GTC

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
All I know is it will be a FUN road trip the day after a doctor tells me I have 3 months to live.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OK,....so there's no "Gunsmithing" involved,....WTF is this lame azzwhole and his tribe of tree spiking friends gonna' do with an engine lathe....?

Build Bongs ?

That'll work

GTC

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,866
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.