[Linked Image]

BP-B6

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I passed on the 130 TTSX because I want the base load to be factory ammo, hence the Federale 150 Triple-Shock X...

if it doesn't shoot well... then either the 150 Partition or the 165 Trophy Bonded Tip.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
God bless that boat paddle Ruger!!!!!!!!!!! AMEN!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Darn, that's what it was! Lack of proper bolt handle maintenance... wink

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure what that has to do with what Eremicus cited but I'm sure that sucked when it happened.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That wasn't gack, it was guidance. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fifth
The only changes I would make if it were me are:

Winchester Sporter in 30-06 ($649 @ CDNN)
2x7 power scope with German #4 reticle
1" Montana Sling
Run 165 grn to the occasional 180 grn on bear

Edit: BTW, I have an FNH made Winchester. The new trigger on the Winchesters are fantastic. Also, the one piece metal base plate is far superior to the two piece on the older Winchester and current Ruger rifles.

No need for 180 gr in the 308 for bear unless unusually large. I have cleanly taken 600 lb with 165gr tsx and Hornady Cup and core. I will not argue with 150 gr as have not recovered any 165 gr bullet.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just being a smart ass. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogger
I got to thinking that I spend way too much time on the nuance of ballistic gack and reloading and really just need to add something to the stable that makes so much sense it is sinful to not use it as my go-to rifle ALL the time. Since I hunt in the east, I figure this set up gets it done with a minimum of fuss from coyotes to white tails to black bear:

Out of the box Ruger M77 chambered in .308 Winchester
Leupold 4X scope
Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling
Factory Federal 165 grain Barnes Triple-Shock X

Can anyone think of anything more effective and reliable, for less money out the door?

Sounds like a great set-up, but I'm an unabashed fan of Ruger bolts and levers.

I'd run a 3-9x and a TTSX. I like stretchy slings, much easier on the shoulder at the end of a long day of carry. Get one with a good non-slip surface.

And I wouldn't be afraid of saving some coin by buying used. BTDT several times and very happy with all.

As to getting something more reliable/rugged, I like the boat paddle stocks. $85 at Numrich last time I got one. Also picked up a used one for $50 delivered. Other than that, no other rifle I know of will beat the Ruger for rugged and reliable.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.308 and 4x is perfect for eastern hunting. As for ammo, shoot the most accurate load.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Beginning to think this might be my version........

Remington 600 Mohawk......308 Win.....1.5-6x42 Sightron SSII

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the possible exception of the 98 Mauser action, the Ruger and Winchester CRF actions are probably the most reliable out there.

Why do you think "CRF actions are probably the most relialbe out there"? When's the last time you saw a dangerous game rifle Mark V in a CRF?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
True enough, MK V's are not CRF, but they are not preffered by PH's either. The one PH whom I have met (in Zim, 2006 I believe)and hunted with who had one was planning to trade it in on a Mauser or Winchester or CZ actioned rifle of some sort as soon as he could afford to do so. The wby was a gift and was all he had so he used it.

BTW, for Eatern US hunting, I like the OP's set up as described with 130-150s in TSX form for any and all up to Elk, and there is nothing wrong with the 165's in the event that Elk or Bear are oft on the menu. Well thought out and executed overall plan or blueprint.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by medicman

No need for 180 gr in the 308 for bear unless unusually large. I have cleanly taken 600 lb with 165gr tsx and Hornady Cup and core. I will not argue with 150 gr as have not recovered any 165 gr bullet.

Randy

That may be true most of the time but I tend to like heavy for caliber bullets for non-ideal shots. Furthermore, I wouldn't run 180's in a 308. That is why I prefer the 30-06 for a non-magnum "go to" rifle. Just my 2 pennies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonder how we ever got by with the old cheap store bought ammos?
Actually, I don't recall ammo related failures. Human error, different story wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogger
I got to thinking that I spend way too much time on the nuance of ballistic gack and reloading and really just need to add something to the stable that makes so much sense it is sinful to not use it as my go-to rifle ALL the time. Since I hunt in the east, I figure this set up gets it done with a minimum of fuss from coyotes to white tails to black bear:

Out of the box Ruger M77 chambered in .308 Winchester
Leupold 4X scope
Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling
Factory Blue Box Federals

Can anyone think of anything more effective and reliable, for less money out the door?

About the only thing I'd change...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've recently gone down the path of wanting a simple and sturdy, general purpose utility rifle. I originally thought it would be a .308 with a 4x33 Leupold. As it turns out I was at a gunshow a couple weeks ago and I spotted a Ruger 77 tang safety Ultralight with open sights. This one is a .30-06 and I'm glad I jumped on it.

At 7.4 lbs including a Leupold 2.5-8x36 and an 18.5" barrel it is quite light and compact. Also, being a Ruger, the sights are sturdy, scope mounting is very stout and the bolt handle is an integral part of the bolt body, not soldered on (I have had a Remington bolt handle come off).

To increase the reliability, it is bedded and I took the stock off to seal all of the wood inside the stock with spar varnish. I've waxed the metal and keep it well oiled. The only change I would make in favour of reliability might be to use a fixed 4x scope but I already owned the Leupold 2.5-8x that I have mounted on it

I've had this rifle to the range four times so far and one matter of reliability that has impressed me is that the first three shots fired from a cold bore, fouled or freshly cleaned, always go where they should and group well under one inch.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Gun and scope plan sounds ok to me Dogger, but don't see the need for Barnes of any persuasion. 2 years back I set up a Marlin XS-7 in 308 with a tactical scope with Weavers and a Burris 6x in Weavers for the same purpose,swap scopes check zero as needed. TAC and 150 gr Horn, WWPP,Corelokts and a few others all give usuable accuracy for anything I could use it on. The idea was as inexpensive but as good as possible for me anyway and I got it done. I bet my last dime that it would shoot the cheapest priced ammo Wallyworld will sell and still give great results getting the job done.How is that for gacklessness? Magnum Man

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dogger,

I have similiar set-up Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 308win, I put fixed Leupie FXII 6x42 on mine. Not sure how I'll like the fixed 6x yet. I'll probably shoot 150gr hornady interlocks in mine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fifth
Originally Posted by medicman

Randy

That may be true most of the time but I tend to like heavy for caliber bullets for non-ideal shots. Furthermore, I wouldn't run 180's in a 308. That is why I prefer the 30-06 for a non-magnum "go to" rifle. Just my 2 pennies.

Ofcourse, you could just use a 7x57/8x57 mauser in a M98 action, a 6.5x55 in a M96 action, reconfigure the bolt, drill and tap, add a trigger,change the safety, even improve the sights, and still be less than the Ruger and be "dead nuts reliable". You do not get much more reliable than this action type, being that rough use and bad weather were taken into account when it was designed. I have yet to see one that would not shoot well enough to take your deer/bear/hog/moose, etc. inside 300 yards. Mostly a handloading undertaking, but who amoung us would not do that anyway. And you could just use cup and core bullets in medium to heavy for caliber weights and cleanly take game just like these combinations have for longer than most of us have been alive.

and for BobinNH,
You could just get a pre64 M70 in .270 or 30-06 and "rock on". Ofcourse it would cost more than the Ruger, but quality does cost less in the long run!!

and for Blackheart,
Just buy a win mod 94 or a marlin 336 in 30/30 and go kill [bleep].

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
790 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 78 invisible), 3,093 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.