Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogger
I got to thinking that I spend way too much time on the nuance of ballistic gack and reloading and really just need to add something to the stable that makes so much sense it is sinful to not use it as my go-to rifle ALL the time. Since I hunt in the east, I figure this set up gets it done with a minimum of fuss from coyotes to white tails to black bear:

Out of the box Ruger M77 chambered in .308 Winchester
Leupold 4X scope
Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling
Factory Federal 165 grain Barnes Triple-Shock X

Can anyone think of anything more effective and reliable, for less money out the door?

Here is a photo of my first two boat paddles - .300WM on top and .30-06 on bottom. The .30-06 came with a laminate stock that I replaced.

[Linked Image]

My latest boat paddle, which I had assembled from parts this last spring.
Stainless action purchased 2 years ago
Stainless factory barrel someone had fluted, purchased from Alaska
Boat paddle stock purchased new from Numrich
Burris FFI /Ballistic Pex 3-9x and rings that I had in the safe
Chambered for .338 Win Mag

[Linked Image]

The Ruger #1 is a .280 Rem.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Life is too short to hunt with fugly rifles. Like the No 1 a lot, though.

RE Barnes bullets.... why NOT? Not ballistic Gack, gen U wine vast superiority and allows for one moderate weight bullet to do the work of many other loads thus making the equation MORE simple and much LESS 'GACKY'

Sight it in with the 165 or 150 TTSX's and go fill a semi truck or three with dead stuff of many different shapes and sizes. From 2 lbs to 2000, you will be all set with good bullet placement.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by safariman
Life is too short to hunt with fugly rifles. Like the No 1 a lot, though. ...

And to think I paid EXTRA to have those "fugly" stocks! blush

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got to thinking that I spend way too much time on the nuance of ballistic gack and reloading and really just need to add something to the stable that makes so much sense it is sinful to not use it as my go-to rifle ALL the time. Since I hunt in the east, I figure this set up gets it done with a minimum of fuss from coyotes to white tails to black bear:

Leupold 4X scope

Can anyone think of anything more effective and reliable, for less money out the door?

Rem. 700 ADL 308 (or 243)
Leupold 4X
Corelokt 150g (or 100g if 243) in the Green and Yellow box

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sounds like a great setup.

I'd run 150 Federal Fusions if it were me.

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'll admit the blown primers were unsafe loading practices, but lack of "basic maintence," problems I don't buy. That's because other actions don't have these problems under the same conditions. E

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
One gripe with the Ruger for me was the use of blind pins preventing a complete takedown.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
WWII BCD Mauser in 8mm with a Redfield peep site and old Bishop stock. Like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going and going.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, that would would be a run forever and kill most anything gun.

So would a SMLE (aka - SMELLY) with a decent stock, or a sporterized Moisin Nagant.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep, but the Mauser doesn't strech the brass and has a much better trigger than the Nagant. However either of those has and will get the job done. RemChestSavRug etc are good rifles, but if I really had to pick one to go to......

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A C-ring Mauser is without peer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
A C-ring Mauser is without peer.

[Linked Image]

Savage, A-Bolt, or Tikka. In that order. whistle

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The C is the epitome of the ilk and beyond repute and contrived facsimilies will never bear like fruit.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A bolt feeding issues, Tikka I could agree, but not CRF Savage as well. Dead reliable a Mauser will work for me.

Last edited by smithrjd; 09/02/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you not notice the "whistling face" on his comment about the Abolt and Tikka? Tongue was planted Firmly into cheek for that one. I would not be even able to type that comment.

Agree about the poor triggers on the Moisin's. SMLE's can stretch cases as well, but we were talking dead nuts relaibe and practical. I don't one of either rifle anymorfe for the reasons mentioned.

Last edited by safariman; 09/02/11.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Did not notice that, my bad.. FIL has an A bolt, asked about his feeding issues with a 243, one look at the barrel ramp and Hmmm, yes you do have an issue. Not something that could be fixed in the field, or with the ramp geometry at a gunsmith.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by safariman
Did you not notice the "whistling face" on his comment about the Abolt and Tikka? Tongue was planted Firmly into cheek for that one. I would not be even able to type that comment.

Agree about the poor triggers on the Moisin's. SMLE's can stretch cases as well, but we were talking dead nuts relaibe and practical. I don't one of either rifle anymorfe for the reasons mentioned.

It was a long ways to go to concur with the vaunted C-ring and it's splendors.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have the wrong scope on it, however the Kimber Montana in 308 goes a long way towards being pretty rugged. I think I would opt for the FXII 6X instead of the 4X.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I got to thinking that I spend way too much time...reloading

Is that possible?

...really just need to add something to the stable that makes so much sense it is sinful to not use it as my go-to rifle ALL the time.

I had the same thought which resulted in the purchase of a Ruger All Weather in 280 Remington. Such a delightful package with its Timney trigger. It makes all my other shooting irons jealous.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Leupold 4X scope

Can't argue with that.

I went with a stainless M77Hawkeye .308 All Weather. Had the barrel fluted and bolt Handel skeletonized just because. Trigger set at 2-3/4lbs. Started out with a Leupold FXII 6X but have since changed to a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8X32. Mostly shoot Nosler 150AB, but will try the 130TTSX someday.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ed
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,297
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.