Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I got to thinking that I spend way too much time on the nuance of ballistic gack and reloading and really just need to add something to the stable that makes so much sense it is sinful to not use it as my go-to rifle ALL the time. Since I hunt in the east, I figure this set up gets it done with a minimum of fuss from coyotes to white tails to black bear:

Out of the box Ruger M77 chambered in .308 Winchester
Leupold 4X scope
Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling
Factory Federal 165 grain Barnes Triple-Shock X

Can anyone think of anything more effective and reliable, for less money out the door?

Last edited by Dogger; 08/29/11. Reason: Doh! grammar and spelling
BP-B6

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The rifle will likely need at least a trigger adjustment, and that's too much bullet.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I went with the 165 instead of the 150 to save meat -- keep impact velocities down, and to increase the likelihood of getting two holes at odd angles and thru bone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the monometal TTSX you'll have no issues with the 150gr.

Cup in core maybe but not mono.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Speed kills with the Barnes. The higher the impact speed the better. Save meat by not shooting them in it. grin

As to two holes and bone, have you seen Steelhead's pics of the things he's whacked with 130 grain TTSX bullets from the 308 and 300 Savage?

IC B2

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Good stuff, OK, here we go then, adjusted set-up:

Ruger M77 / .308 Winchester
trigger work
Leupold 4X scope
Factory Federal 150 grain Barnes Triple-Shock X

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Dogger

trigger work
Leupold 4X scope

Weren't you paying attention to what mathman was saying???

Barnes 130s out of a .308 are about as good as life gets. Prefer the TTSX, but if your rifle shoots the TSX that's cool too. There's nothing I would worry about shooting with them in North America. 46 grains of Varget and TTSXs is so good it's almost criminal.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

trigger work
Leupold 4X scope

Sounds good I have had a similar thought pattern running through my head as of late.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
With the possible exception of the 98 Mauser action, the Ruger and Winchester CRF actions are probably the most reliable out there.
The 4X Leupold is another that is legendary in it's reliability.
Nobody I've met, who ever hunted a .308 much, had any misgivings about it.
I would, however, do a trigger job, or replace the factory unit if it doesn't come out as it should, and go with a free floated barrel. I've found such setups hold zero over the long haul very reliably and make the use of a shooting sling practical.
Last of all, I'd get either a Cling Sling setup or use a military shooting sling. E

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Orginal Ballard Pacific with lead/tin bullets and bp. Iron sights (tang and barrel). Individually proven for over 130 yrs. Kills pretty much anything and everything, every time.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
The rifle will likely need at least a trigger adjustment, and that's too much bullet.

Yes, my EW in a Mickey stock with any boolet desired. Sweeeeetnesssss.......... whistle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only changes I would make if it were me are:

Winchester Sporter in 30-06 ($649 @ CDNN)
2x7 power scope with German #4 reticle
1" Montana Sling
Run 165 grn to the occasional 180 grn on bear

Edit: BTW, I have an FNH made Winchester. The new trigger on the Winchesters are fantastic. Also, the one piece metal base plate is far superior to the two piece on the older Winchester and current Ruger rifles.

Last edited by Fifth; 08/29/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me it would be a Remington 700 KS stainless in 30/06. We've had dozens of guys here over the years from Alaska using 700's and I don't recall any of them saying the 700 wasn't dead nuts reliable.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I got to thinking that I spend way too much time on the nuance of ballistic gack and reloading and really just need to add something to the stable that makes so much sense it is sinful to not use it as my go-to rifle ALL the time. Since I hunt in the east, I figure this set up gets it done with a minimum of fuss from coyotes to white tails to black bear:

Leupold 4X scope

Can anyone think of anything more effective and reliable, for less money out the door?

I have that rifle. An all weather Hawkeye I found it used for a good price. Different scope and ammo, but for the money I completely agree with you. I have other rifles I like better, but doubt if any are more reliable out of the box. The others aren't much more accurate either, even though they cost much more.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Put a decent 3-9 on there and you'll have a much nicer rig. It's the 21st century, no reason at all to handicap yourself with a fixed 4X.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
While they do have a pretty good rep, I've had and seen enough problems with Remington 600/700 rifles not to call them "stone nuts reliable."
I've had bolt releases jam open, seen trigger get enough goo in them, usually from the opening for the safety, and even a busted extractor or two. To say nothing of having them lock up if the ammo was too hot.
I've had one Ruger, with a super hot load and one 98 Mauser with same extract and eject the fired case with the primer completely gone. Never seen a Remington that could do that. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Put a decent 3-9 on there and you'll have a much nicer rig. It's the 21st century, no reason at all to handicap yourself with a fixed 4X.

Those old myths die hard around here. Nice to reminisce though...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Leupold 4X scope

And the first thing you got hit with was a quibble about ballistic gack.

I love the campfire... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Leupold 4X scope

And the first thing you got hit with was a quibble about ballistic gack.

I love the campfire... wink

And the naysayers(whose worthy opinions I otherwise have very high regard for... grin ) regarding the 4X scope.

I will take it and run....don't bet agin' me.... whistle wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
While they do have a pretty good rep, I've had and seen enough problems with Remington 600/700 rifles not to call them "stone nuts reliable."
I've had bolt releases jam open, seen trigger get enough goo in them, usually from the opening for the safety, and even a busted extractor or two. To say nothing of having them lock up if the ammo was too hot.
I've had one Ruger, with a super hot load and one 98 Mauser with same extract and eject the fired case with the primer completely gone. Never seen a Remington that could do that. E

No offense Eremicus, but everything you just stated was shooter/owner neglect. Poor/unsafe loading techniques and lack of basic maintenance aren't rifle problems.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
264 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.