-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was talking to my dad years ago, he was on a navy ship at the end of WW-II and went from island to island in the Pacific that we bypassed. His job was to go with a shore party and tell the japanese there that the war was over. He said that the carried lever action rifles. He discribed it and it sure sounded like a 95.

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Winchester 94 .30-30 was the issue rifle for the Los Angeles Sheriff's Dept., for many, many years, up until fairly recently (25 years ago or so) when they switched to the Colt AR 15. I have seen racks of those 94s still in the LASD Armory ... just a'waitin', just in case. That said, however, they might have been phased out by now, as the last time I was in the LASD Armory was in 1997. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Fairly recently I read that there are still a lot of '95's in Russian warehouses and they are for sale. However they are demanding a high price and nobody has stepped forward to invest in them. It might have been in American Rifleman.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Geronimo used a winchester in combat but not sure of caliber. Here is a staged photo with an empty rifle probably given to him by a US soldier just for the photo after his capture. wonder where that rifle went?
[Linked Image]

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen more than a couple of those Russian '95's and every one has been in rather good to great condition. They didn't prove to be a really good military weapon, but they were very popular with the troops. Perhaps that's why they were taken such good care of.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Geronimo used a winchester in combat but not sure of caliber. Here is a staged photo with an empty rifle probably given to him by a US soldier just for the photo after his capture. wonder where that rifle went?
[Linked Image]

Trapdoor Springfield carbine?

That fellow looks like someone you really don't want to mess with...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Chrome
Other than the use by western cowboys or Pancho Villa's troops has the Winchester 94 or Marlin leveractions ever been used in combat ?

I figured some third world country had to use them around the turn of the century ?
It was used in open plane warfare before machine guns were attached to aircraft. They simply took pot shots at any nearby plane.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes it was .Every year thousands of them hit the woods for deer hunting

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
[Linked Image]

Geronimo was a Capitalist.He made lots of money selling photos of himself.He would do Tours off of Trains and at each stop cut buttons off his clothes and sell them.He would then sew new ones on between stops.He died a rich man!!!Gotta love an opportunist. grin

Last edited by Huntz; 08/30/11.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Marc
Fairly recently I read that there are still a lot of '95's in Russian warehouses and they are for sale. However they are demanding a high price and nobody has stepped forward to invest in them. It might have been in American Rifleman.

I've always been under the impression tht the majority of the order never made it to Russia. That particular shipment made it as far a Great Britain before the Czar abdicated...... I can't remember if I read that in the Madis book or where????
K

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
W. H. B. Smith's book "Small Arms of the World" (fifth edition, 1957, page 61) says of the Model 95 in combat "These Russian 1895's were used in both wars (WWI and WWII). Captured German intelligence bulletins reported them as used on all fronts to some degree; probably indicating pressing shortages of small arms at the time of their use, of course."

Last edited by djs; 08/31/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My father-in-law served in the Navy during WWII/Korea on various tenders as a machinist mate and said that they had Winchester 94s (30-30) on board. Before the war, they had bolt actions (couldn't remember what make/model) but they were swapped out and given to front line troops shortly after the WWII started. Most of his time was spent around South America and the Solomon Islands, so it wasn't exactly front line stuff. He remembered being asked to make replacement parts on more than one occasion.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There were some US marked Model 94s used by guards in WWII here in the US.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by natman
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Too late, guys. They came home forty years ago. If you snooze, you lose!

Not to quibble, but January 1962 is only four months shy of being fifty years ago. ... How time flies!

Harold Camping was my math instructor.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would not surprise me at all, if the Russians don't have a bunch of those 1895 Winchesters in storage some place.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
1894s were issued stateside to guards during WW 2, especially early in the war, when arms were scarce...

as far as the 1895 Win, more production was made for the Russians then there were ever civilian models made...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.