Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
30 gallon drum of used motor oil parked right next to the hole.

Dip post and "plant".

Move on to next hole.

Good to go.

we had posts soaking in used oil from the tractors 24/7,, on our/the farm .... NEVER rotted.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am a Fence Contractor and also own a Post & Rail Mill. Charring does work and been used for decades here in Montana. Larch works the best up here. Green of course. Old timers say they will last 40 years or more. Much better than using harmful chemicals too. I am thinking of selling a line and targeting the posts for gardeners.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We are careful to use the yellow cedar, and not the red cedar down here - red won't last. The yellow comes up like a bush, instead of a tree, so ID is easy before you cut.
Old timers said to cut in Dec, Jan, and early Feb for the best posts - and to de-bark them as soon as practicable.
Yellow is more crooked - but lasts smile

Hmmm - sounds like the Clintons, huh?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I was a kid, my dad would get a $50 timber permit every year and we would take off in two farm trucks to the Snowy Range (Wyoming). This was always one of my favorite chores since we spent about half of our time there fishing for brookies, and the rest cutting trees for posts. It took a lot of posts to keep up the fences on a 24,000+ acre ranch. On the way home, a week or more later, we would drop all the tree sections at a friend of Dad's in Wheatland who had a post maker, sort of a giant pencil sharpener type of contraption, for a small fee. When we went to pick them up, eventually, he would have them all spaced with dunage, and when we got them to the ranch we also stacked them spaced with dunage as well, they need to be completely dry for the next step--months later--often we would be cutting the next years before the previous years were all processed. At the ranch we had a trough made of two barrels welded end to end -- not half circle barrel halves, more like 2/3rd barrels so the opening on the side was somewhat smaller than the widest part in the middle. We had some home-made tongs that grabbed a post well too. There was a chemical, IIRC it was called "Tanna" that had copper napthanate and CCA in it. You mixed this stuff one gallon to 20 gallons of diesel. Wear good gloves, glasses, and keep some water around, because while the mixture doesn't seem too bad, if you get some of the tanna on you straight it burns like hell. We also added some used motor oil to the mix when we had some to get rid of. One of my other chores when I went out to feed the horses, rabbits, chickens, bottle calves, gather the eggs, etc. etc. was to every other day take the posts (about ten or so)that had been in the trough for two days out, stack them on dunage, put some more in the trough, make sure there was enough treatment to cover them, and weight them down with some big rocks or block so they didn't float. I think CCA was some of the stuff that the EPA cracked down on, but the copper napthanate is still easy to come by. I don't know if there is such a thing as the concentrated stuff to mix with diesel anymore, but I'm sure that even if you did use tar, copper napthate, and or motor oil, diesel would be good to thin the mix and help it penetrate better as well as be an inexpensive way to get more preservative. Also setting those posts in dry Quickcrete and wetting them in or just waiting for the weather to do it for you would also be a deterrent to bugs and help keep the preservative where you put them and sets them really tight to boot. Even if too costly for a big ranch, it wouldn't take that much for a few dozen posts.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
here on this place i have larch posts that were soaked in pickling salt that have been in the ground over 100 years. like they are petrified.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Greyghost
California over the last 10 years or so, has been going through an expedited replacement program for their power poles... I've done a bunch my self over the last decade.

Most of these replaced power poles that by the way are still in use date back to between the 1930's to the 50's.

Check with your local power company, they'll usually let you come in and cut the old poles into sections and haul them off for nothing.

Phil

With all due respect, nobody in America gives-a-chit enna more what Californians do in regards to policy.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by Greyghost
California over the last 10 years or so, has been going through an expedited replacement program for their power poles... I've done a bunch my self over the last decade.

Most of these replaced power poles that by the way are still in use date back to between the 1930's to the 50's.

Check with your local power company, they'll usually let you come in and cut the old poles into sections and haul them off for nothing.

Phil

With all due respect, nobody in America gives-a-chit enna more what Californians do in regards to policy.

We also made a deal on about ten miles of abandoned power line poles that crossed the ranch once. The good treated end that we wanted most was on the bottom still in the ground though. But these were nice and big and more suited to some heavy duty corral posts than fence posts -- my dad thought he hit a gold mine at first since he got them for nothing and they were already cured and at home. They are set deep too. He started inventing contraptions to pull them out with -- we had a John Deer crawler and a Farm All loader. the Farm All wasn't big enough to pull 'em and the crawler had the power but pulled sideways not up. I remember him spending most of a week building this big "A" frame out of I beams, but it collapsed on the first pole. After a couple more attempts at beefing it up with the same result (well I think we did manage to get three or four poles out along the way, he said, "Hell with it" and we got the rest with a chainsaw treating what we cut off and leaving the best part in the ground.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Creosoted or diesel fuel with motor oil soaked post or a treated post. Treated post are costly. Old tel phone poles work great and are treated.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use cedar for posts, Eastern Red Cedar. I can show you posts that have been in the ground for 70 years, and are still sound. Although I have used them as soon as cut them, I prefer to cut them in the winter when the sap is down, and let them dry for a few months. The redder the post is, the longer it will last.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by poboy
I wish I had some Bois'd arc (?sp)- Bodark - Osage Orange. Cedar lasts good down here.

Close. Bois D'arc.

At least that's the spelling in SW MO

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hedge won't rot it will shrink away over time , like 100 years

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 1minute

Back east, one could wear out three post holes with black locust.

The past two years I've been tearing down and replacing an old fence on some land we purchased. The majority of the posts on the old fence were black locust. Most of them were still solid. The few T-posts scattered here/there on the fence had rusted so badly that they were breaking off.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I use cedar for posts, Eastern Red Cedar. I can show you posts that have been in the ground for 70 years, and are still sound. Although I have used them as soon as cut them, I prefer to cut them in the winter when the sap is down, and let them dry for a few months. The redder the post is, the longer it will last.

Yep. The less sapwood (white wood) the better. You want the post to have as much heartwood (red wood) as you can get,

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Shou Sugi ban, Japanese Cedar charring to help preserve wood from fire, rot, and insects. Looks very cool too, on siding

1/504 PIR
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i would think spaying the bottom of the post with bed liner would work too. (the stuff for pick up truck beds like rino liner)

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was a kid, someone gave my dad a bunch of well dried 16' 4x4's. He decided to make fence posts out of them. They were heavy suckers and very hard to cut in half. We planted them and then tried to hang wire. It was impossible to get the staples in. We'd bend 3 for every one we got in. We finally gave up and pulled all the posts out. Dad found out later that they were black locust. The guy gave them to Dad because he couldn't get nails in them either.

Black locust is supposed to be the longest lasting post wood available in the US but you'd better get the wires up before they dry. Once they do, you'll never get the staples in.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just started some black locust from seed. I think I'll plant them in the appropriate spots, and then wire on the rails. As a kid, the saying was locust could wear out 3 post holes.

1Minute
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Black locust is readily available here and used as much or more than anything. It is also the very best firewood here, which is where all of mine gets used.

FJB & FJT
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Yep. The less sapwood (white wood) the better. You want the post to have as much heartwood (red wood) as you can get,

yes, and the same goes for black locust as well.

for poor folks w/a local supply, slow growth post oak & other members of the white oak family will last a surprising long time. the heartwood is what holds up and lasts. in the white oaks, the wood cell pores are occluded, meaning they are full of minerals. in the red oak side of the family, the pores are open, vastly reducing service life.

black locust is far better, but given the difference in prices, well, an astute small farmer always went with the post oaks collected from rocky hillsides with thin soil.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
when i am sinking posts that i want to stay, i coat the bottom in roofing tar. i do this for pressure treated wood as well. i doubt a termite would drill through that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
231 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.