Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
My neighbor is looking to buy one of these rifles for hunting. He is close to retirement and hasn't hunted since he was in his 20's. He said his first hunting rifle that his dad let him hunt with was a pump rifle in 6mm and that is why he wants a pump rifle in .30-06. I can't convince him to change his mind on the rifle and not sure I want to as it is the rifle he wants.

He asked for my help and I've found him some rifles online and have tried to encourage him to buy a new rifle. He saw a used rifle with basket weave checkering, I know nothing about these rifles that is why I've encouraged the new rifle purchase. I've heard that these rifles can be accurate but they wear out as well and used rifles can be hit or miss? Is there any thing I should tell him about these rifles?

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have had several and all were accurate; <1" with handloads from a bench. Make sure the one he buys has a free floating barrel. The trigger pulls can be hard but Timmney makes a kit for the Rem. 870 shotgun that will swap with no mods. and allow for trigger lb. adjustment. The 760/7600 and the 870 all use the same trigger group. Also DO NOT put see thru scope mounts on one.

I have never heard of anyone wearing one of these out although you might erode the barrel after 5,000 or so 30-06/.270 rounds.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
The 760/7600 rifles are just fine and usually last for decades. docbill's right about the trigger.. The only other caveat is the owner should run a few drops of oil down the action assembly guide tube (muzzleward) to lubricate the O-ring there.. Otherwise - buy and enjoy..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Plenty accurate for big game hunting and then some. Yea they take a little extra care on the cleaning end, but its a moot point, take just a few extra min. I am looking for a Carbine Version in either 30-06 308 or 270.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are a good reliable hunting rifle. My personal preference is the 760's made between 1976-81 and the 7600's from 1981-1986. After that they went to cheaper finishes and monte carlo stocks.

Some will argue their accuracy, but I've never had an issue getting them to shoot. From my 1982 version...

[Linked Image]

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Don't convince him to change his mind. It's a hell of a rifle. If he gets a 7600 it will probably more accurate than the new Remingotn and Win. bolt rifles.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
HERETIC!!! shocked

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have four of them in the safe now, and they all shoot right with my bolt rifles. Find him an early seventies 760 or an early 7600. Get the 760 in preference if you can.

More than a few million deer killed with them can't be wrong. If you find one with see throughs on it you can remove them and mash those suckers with a three pound hammer. That will guarantee you good Karma for five years minimum. I promise. Ever since I mashed my first set deer just come out to me and beg to be shot and I don't even have to use a Remington pump.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
2 of my uncles, one cousin and my granddad all hunt with 760's and swear by them. Though they aren�t biased about bolts, semi-autos are another story. The older uncle has used the same gun (.30_06 carbine) for 20+ years and has taken many elk, loads of deer and 2 bears with it. It stopped working smoothly 2 years ago and when he took it apart he had to pull about a pound of red wool fibers out of the action from all the years of carrying it in the crook of his arm.
I have thought about joining the club but when I aim I like to have my support hand farther back than is required on a pump to give me more stability. Even so, I'm working on acquiring one of my granddad's 35 Whelan�s (he has two).

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I picked up my first, a 760 in '06, a couple of years ago. I was very pleasantly surprised how well it shot with iron sights even at 200 yds., say under 3.5 inches. The trigger job came out a surprise as well. Not up to the 2.5 lb., "glass rod" breaks of my best bolt guns, but not very far off.
Because of that experience, I picked up an even older 760, w/o the free floating barrel, in .257 Bob this year. It's trigger came out even better. With iron sights, she has shot under one MOA at 50 yds. I really don't know what more anyone could want in a hunting rifle.
I understand the famous Benoit family favors them because they handle quickly and always work even when neglected some. Again, what more can a non gun looney sort want in a hunting rifle ?
Help him find one that he wants and one that fits him well. You can help him get a trigger job done. If I a guy like me can be pleasantly surprised and happy with them, they must have alot going for them. E

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
All 760 barrels are floating . That thing on the front of the action tube is a brush guard , and is not attached to the barrel or the action tube , it's floating too !

Last edited by oneoldsap; 09/02/11.

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just rambling here, but I believe there's 15 or more calibers available in the Remington 760/7600 pumps.
6mm
257 Roberts
25-06
7mm-08
300 Savage
30-06
35 Rem
35 Whelen

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent shooters, very accurate. My 760 '06 was produced about the time Eisenhower got elected to a second term for president and that gun is home either on the range or in the woods to this very day. I've shot a friends 7600 in 243 and it to was great in the accurate dept.

A one peice weaver scope base and skip those see through rings and life will be good. I thought someone had posted a long time ago the pictures of how to totally break down the 760/7600, but it is really simple.

Good luck and I hope your neighbor gets the gun he remembers.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I had heard that the o-rings can give you fits and the action can get sloppy if not properly maintained. That is what I meant by wearing out. Anyway I'm out of my comfort zone with the pump rifles and just want to make sure he is happy with the rifle he chooses.

I did pick up a NOS Remington .270 pump for my BIL several years ago, set up for a LH shooter. He couldn't find anything in a bolt action he wanted to pay for and I found this one for just over $300 delivered. It needed to be cleaned as all the old oil had the rifle gummed up. I took it to a local shop and had them disassemble it and clean it as I didn't want to mess with it. My BIL seems very happy with it, but that is as far as my experience goes with these rifles.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They're super fun guns!

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I inherited a 760 when my Dad died. It sure is easy to shoot running game with it compared to a bolt - your eye can stay on target easier. The trigger isn't great, but, as many have said - that can easily be remedied. They can rattle a bit.

I have found that some of them can be sensitive to load changes - but after you find the load the rifle likes they can be quite accurate.

For my Dad his 30-06 Remington 760 when loaded with 220 grain roundnose bullets was his DGR rifle - before the term became popular. Quite a few coastal grizzlies met their demise at the hand of that very rifle in my father's hands. Being a leftie - he found it easy to shoot well.

I still use it a bit for sentimental reasons - the first time I used it on game it was on a running Whitetail - it worked as well as my Dad always said it would.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by DMc
They're super fun guns!

[Linked Image]

DMc,

Can you advise again as to what 870 stock that is and where you got it (Ebay?).
Also, any additional hardware required or direct swap?

Thanks.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by greenmtndave
DMc, Can you advise again as to what 870 stock that is and where you got it (Ebay?). Also, any additional hardware required or direct swap?
Thanks.

I'm not a fan of Monte Carlo stocks either as someone else previously posted but am a huge fan of the 870 20 ga. Special Field. I took off one of my Special Field stocks and tried it on a 7600. It's a direct bolt on if you have a long stock bolt. I liked it so much that I started scouring the internet for 20ga Special Field stocks. I did find a guy on Ebay that had 12 sets of butt stocks and fore arms he listed for 20ga 1100's. I contacted him and he agreed to sell 2 buttstocks without the forends. I'm not sure if he has any left, but you may can find him by doing a search on ebay.
Cheers!
DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, I handled a few 7600s at the gun show today, and though I didn't find any in the calibers I want, I definitely love how the rifles handle and feel. I will own one come November, I figure.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
how much do the guns weigh?

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1minute, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,750
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.