Hop To
J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Guys,

This is some professional grade Ebony substitute material I developed as an answer to problems I have had with Ebony and African Blackwood over the years. I needed a material that had all the beauty of Natural Ebony or Blackwood but without it's problems- this is it.

I commissioned one of the best gunstock laminate companies in the US to come up with a solution. It is jet black ,tripled dyed laminated Northern birch. It is not commercially available at this time. It is NOT a fully resin impregnated material- it glues sands and takes finish JUST like the rest of stock.

Unlike tropical woods such as Ebony and Blackwood- it is dimensionally stable. It will not warp, crack or swell over time. Has no oils that will prevent the curing of glues or stock finishes. Overall, It is the BEST black natural wood tip material I have ever used.

This material is a dark charcoal grey in it's natural state When finished is applied it turns a dark jet black. Unlike most Ebony which is so black it looks like plastic when finished, this material actually shows the layers of grain. So ,far most of my customers think it looks even better than Ebony on completed stocks.

I am extremely pleased with the material and use it on my own work- stocks that can cost several thousands when completed.

I have a dozen forend tip/grip cap sets cut for sale. The forend tip blocks are 2 square by 3" long. The grip caps blanks are 1/2" thick by 2" wide by 3" long.

The grip cap tip sets are $19.50 shipped. I would like to spread these around to those who want one, so a limit of 2 sets per order.

Material in raw form-

[Linked Image]

Material color installed on a stock with finish applied-
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jim62; 08/28/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
BTT.. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
BTT.. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
show em some more pics of what it looks like as a grip cap too !!

great looking stuff all....

J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
As per Splatter's suggestion here are two pics that show the material with finish.

The first shows it on a an English walnut stock. Note the color compared to the black Pachmayr pad. The second shows a closeup of the grip cap. Note how cleanly the material cuts for a near perfect fit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jim62; 08/29/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh yeah !

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'll take a set. Please PM where you want the money sent.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I will take a set. How do you want the money? Personal check or what. I need to know where to send it.

J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
PM sent to both elkermarty and muledeer ..

To all gunmaker critics-
J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Only two sets left..

To all gunmaker critics-
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll take a set. Tell me where to send funds.

Thanks,

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
C
C
Hopefully you have one set left. Please PM me and I'll send a MO. Thanks.

J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Reply PMs sent..

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
see what posting pics will do for you !

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
J
jim62 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Gents,

If you have responded to this listing and have not replied with payment details to a PM from me please double check and respond.

I just want to make sure everyone gets what they wanted.

Thanks.

To all gunmaker critics-
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would like a set if any are still available. Pm incoming...

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I will take a set. Just what I need. Paypal or check? regards david

"all of us are ignorant, just about different things" Will Rogers
M
M
If any left I'll take one, if not any chance of getting some more?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.