Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Besides the cheap Stoeger 'coach guns,' what external-hammer side X side shotguns are available?

Even on the used market?

THANKS!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the used market everything is available (eventually), price being the major discriminator of choice.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Odessa
On the used market everything is available (eventually), price being the major discriminator of choice.

Ditto. (Or you can spring for a new Beretta double hammer gun. Get your order in early because supposedly there's a long lead time. Oh yeah, have a sackful of $20 gold pieces handy too!)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I picked up an Italian Bernardelli 12ga Brescia hammer gun awhile back, and its a real nice piece of work. Light as a 20ga and pleasant to shoot if you stay away from the heavy loads. I see them for sale quite often in the $900 to $1100 range.

NRA Benefactor
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SOFMatchstaff
I picked up an Italian Bernardelli 12ga Brescia hammer gun awhile back, and its a real nice piece of work. Light as a 20ga and pleasant to shoot if you stay away from the heavy loads. I see them for sale quite often in the $900 to $1100 range.

Thanks! And for actually posting something specific [and even helpful! wink ] a fellow can research. I was looking for 'models' of external hammer guns and will look up the Brescia!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
here's a link to a few at Gunsinternational

Siace
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Siace-Shotguns.cfm?cat_id=783

Husquvarna
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Husqvarna-Shotguns.cfm?cat_id=777

Bernedelli also makes a higher grade hammer shotgun called the Italia

erich

Last edited by erich; 09/04/11.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you too, Erich. cool

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I picked up a W. C. Scott Bogardus Club Gun in a 12 gauge.

Highly decorated but a cracked stock.

It really shoots great though!

http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb385/hemisboats/1884%20Scott/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might want to look at the Famar's "Castore" model also.

http://www.famars.com/

erich

Make mine a Minaska

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I could be wrong but I don't think he is looking for a shotgun that requires a second mortgage.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I could be wrong but I don't think he is looking for a shotgun that requires a second mortgage.

well he asked about the most open ended questions... so besides the M700 what bolt guns are out there?? Even used bolts guns would be okay....

There are literally thousands of options....

Purdey made lots of hammer guns... so did Stevens...

Andrew
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah, I had the same thought, Beautiful works of art, but not what I need for an occasional trip to the pigeon parlor for a dose of humble. The Bernardelli works on the 16 yard trap, and the little 16ga Simpson Suhl Spezial with mod&mod makes me work on the skeet range. Add to that a Antonio Zoli 20ga Empire 3" mag(eewwh), and I still didnt spend what one of those wonderful works of art would have set me back.

someone with a mossberg and two remmys could say the same about my SXS stable, out shoot me at the range, and still have $$$ left over for a Benelli and we both go home happy. Me not so much if I got whupped with a mossy....

NRA Benefactor
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm a big lover of cheap shotguns. I have a 5100 made for Sears, a JC Higgins, that's fine and in great shape for $225. It's 16 ga.

For hammer shotguns, try Simpson, Ltd. They have lots of hammer Husqvarna shotguns in various conditions for various prices, most of which have pitted but servicable barrels.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
That is a cool site! Amazing what's out there isn't it?
Originally Posted by erich
You might want to look at the Famar's "Castore" model also.

http://www.famars.com/

erich

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I figured when he referred to the Stoeger as "Cheap" he was looking something more high end, I did include the Huskys. I have L.C. Smith and Stevens Hammer 12ga.

erich

Last edited by erich; 09/05/11.

Make mine a Minaska

G
G
I got my start in the hammergun world with the Husqvarna Model 20's & 17's built on the Lefaucheux (underlever) action. Stout, good handling guns with 2 1/2 inch chambers & usually choked full & fuller. They have plenty of metal for a good gunsmith to lengthen the chambers. Simpson's stock of Huskys has been well picked over , but there are usually some on Gunbroker. Once you get use to the underlever action their nice inexpensive guns.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by erich
I figured when he referred to the Stoeger as "Cheap" he was looking something more high end, I did include the Huskys. I have L.C. Smith and Stevens Hammer 12ga. erich

How many shotgunners are aware of ANY external hammer guns besides the HEAVY [and CHEAP] Stoener's!!?? shocked grin

Thanks EVERYONE for your input and even your sarcasm.

I'm most interested (depending how far I pursue this) in SXS's in the $800 - $2,000 range. wink

By the way,
besides them dirty-ott-six M700's, what OTHER bolt-rifles are out there!? And with what sizes of booletts? Whats good for dears? wink
grin

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by greyphase
I got my start in the hammergun world with the Husqvarna Model 20's & 17's built on the Lefaucheux (underlever) action. Stout, good handling guns with 2 1/2 inch chambers & usually choked full & fuller. They have plenty of metal for a good gunsmith to lengthen the chambers. Simpson's stock of Huskys has been well picked over , but there are usually some on Gunbroker. Once you get use to the underlever action their nice inexpensive guns.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Indeed, EVERYONE, thanks for your posts.

And Greyphase, thanks for the pics as well as your post. Cheers. cool

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Stubble-D
hit wrong button.

Nice SxS!

Last edited by m219bird; 09/06/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is everything available from junk to Purdey, it just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. I have concluded life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun and have chosen middle of the road guns.

I have a Colt 1878 and a Birmingham made Hume side lever. both are engraved, both are tight and both work very well. I use them more for Cowboy action than hunting, but they can serve well under either condition.

After you start looking at good hammer guns, you appreciate the craftsmanship of the gun-making art as they have side locks and graceful lines on the hammers. Cheaper shotguns work, but just don't have the look...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/109_0911.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a 16 guage Bernardelli Italia made in the 1930s that I was able to import back in the late 1960s after having used it in Europe (the "former Yugoslavia"). One of my favorite guns to use when hunting over a pointer. But if you have never hunted with a hammer gun, you need to ask yourself "Why do I want a hammer gun?" It is very different from a hammerless gun with a safety catch, and can be very slow when you are getting used to it. Fine over a pointer, not so fine when hunting with a flushing dog or alone.

Look for a used Husky and be prepared to have at least one barrel rechoked or tubes fitted. Most are choked really tight. Simson Ltd. had a raft of them the last time I looked. Most also need short European shells, so find one with American length chambers if you are planning on shooting it a lot.

Partly because of the Euro versus dollar issue, Italian hammer doubles, never cheap, are sky high right now. I'm going to the Fausti factory in a couple of weeks, and will probably just be able to drool....not order.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 46 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,505
Posts18,452,557
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.