Print Thread
Hop To
N
nuguy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
anyone out there got one of these? What are your opinions on this gun guys?

BP-B2

N
nuguy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Nobody have a PROHUNTER FX ? How about the Pro Hunter which is basically the same gun.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you are referring to the weathershield coating on the FX model....it's worth its weight in Gold. All other componets are the same as on the pro hunter model.

All T/C barrels are made the same regardless which receiver they are placed on and that includes the Omega, Triumpth, Encore, pro hunter etc.

Doc

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have a pro hunter. Scoped with a regular Nikon 3/x9/x50. I sighted in and shot it last year, 3 shots touching with TC bullets & 2 pellets of 50 grain. Other bullets grouped well, but the TC was best. Did not have luck hunting with it last year, headed for elk in 4 weeks with it.

It’s all about Leadership.
N
nuguy Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Do you get much blowback residue in the breech area and trigger group or is it pretty clean. I'm wondering if the barrel on the FX removes the same as the encore and prohunter with a hinge pin since it Js a muzzleloader only design.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nuguy,

You get some blowback primarily in the primer extractor area. I have found the blowback is less with BH-209 powder than with 777 powder.

I wrap the breech plug with plumbers tape from the front to the back of the plug and coat with "Slick 50 grease" ( no longer made) which results in a pretty clean breech plug after shooting. Doing this makes for a tight breech plug fit so I have to use the slotted breech plug tool to un-lock the breech plug and then just pull it out of the breech.

Doc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the older pro-hunter in .50 cal and have only used it as a muzzleloader. I wont sell it...owned it now for 4 yrs and its killed its share of antelered game out to 239 yds.

Now...Doctor Encore....i have a question for you. Are you sure about teh barrles being teh same for all the diff models. The pro hunter is not the same bbl as teh one on the triumphs. From shooting quite a few different TC... the PH has always been much easeier to load and also shoots outstanding. The triiumph is a biatch to load and shoots just ok. The omega.... hard to load, almost impossible at times, but shot very well.

I have a hard time believing the bbls are the same, especially with such price differences. But you have you an inside track knowledge that they are....i will defer to you.

Would love to know.
Thx.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

The barrels on all T/C ML "inline" rifles all made on the same tooling. All T/C barrels are button rifled with the exception of the PA. ML round ball rifle which was cut rifled for each land.

What you are experiencing between your Triumpth and Pro Hunter in the varience in bore diameter between .499 to .502.

All of the manufacturing has been moved to Springfield, Mass and S&W plant in Maine in the last year So I doubt the manufacturing processes have changed.

Doc

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am not a huge fan of weathershield. I care more about the inside of the barrel than the outside. I have a triumph with weatershield that was damaged internally by 777 and a wilderness hunt. Likely my fault. I have been on other hunts with 777 and blued knight rifles and stainless versions and never had internal damage. My cleaning in the backcountry is pretty lacking, I try but dont get it perfect on any of those hunts. The conditions may have been more humid or something different but I have made up my mind to try to buy stainless for my backcountry guns. I know they will rust also but they seem to take just enough more abuse to get me back to the trailhead before damage is done.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
84 members (308ld, 338reddog, 35, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,564 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,761
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.