24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KAG Offline OP
OP Offline
I already have a 25-223 but did not like having to trim back case all time for this caliber and since I primarily hunt predators shooting lighter bullets and wanted something simple to reload for and use use I opted for a 25x45. Detractors say you can not shoot heavier bullets with the 25x45 and so thats why the 25-223 came about. As I own both and have shot both I just have not seen this as a rigid rule. There are certain bullets in certain weights that pose a problem but there are many bullet choices up to 100gr quite a few will work just fine. I have shot up to 119gr Noslers but would not recommend it...bullets start getting long.

SHARPS Rifle Company just standardized the round and plans to market it with Federal's help.

Ok, months ago I ordered a 25x45 20" barrel from BlackHole. I thought it was beautiful to look at and it felt fairly light.

The barrel is a light Varmint contour, pretty much what the other 6x45 barrel contours are from BH are. Blackhole Weaponry uses Polygonal Rifling. I opted to NOT thread the end of this one as my last barrel, a 18" Shilen barrel in 25/223 was threaded and I just did not like it. It became a harmonics issue I believe for me as I never could get it to shoot light bullets.

With the 25x45 its a straight forward up sizing of the 223 case where as the 25/223 cartridge must be trimmed back some....PITA. As I like simplicity I went with this and it makes the most sense for me.

I had several months ago bought one of those AR15 upper kits from Scott at Specialized Dynamics that he ran a special on.....Thank you Scott.

Crappy photo from my camera.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The upper build was very straight forward and took maybe 20 minutes tops. The longest part as always for me is seating the pin. From then on I just put it together. The barrel nut I just hand tightened and then gave it a little more twist to line the gas tube hole up....I did not torgue it as I think once the hole is lined up after timing it correctly it takes some force to do this. Or so I believe....people can do as they see fit on theirs but the AR is simplistic in form and I like to try to keep it that way. No thread lock on any of it.

[Linked Image]

Once it was all together I ran a very wet bore snake down it and sprayed lots of Rem oil in the upper. I put a lower on it and loaded a 20rd mag of 25x45 cartridges into it and let the bolt go home. It chambered very smoothly and felt locked up solid.....I squeezed the trigger and fired and functioned as it should. I then proceeded to burn the entire clip through it. Perfect feed, fire, and function....yes I know others do it differently but this one is mine.

[Linked Image]

As I have been shooting the 25/223 for a while now I have lots of load data compiled to start with and plan to begin working up loads for this very soon. More than likely I will be shooting 70gr Sierra Blitz Kings, 85gr Noslers BT, and 90gr Sierra Blitz Kings also. I have quite a bit of data on these already.

[Linked Image]

Its been a long road on this and plan to make it my main predator round this winter and also plan to take a deer with it also to just see how it performs, which I have little doubt it will excel in.

In the 25cal 20" Varmint contour barrel, twist 1:10.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bullet Load Work up

Well finally had a little time to start doing more than just shoot all different types and weights of bullets. Everything I have loaded has fired....doesn't mean that's what I am going to use as I am a Predator Hunter much more than a paper shooter. I will be running 100gr Sierra SP though on a Hog hunt down in Texas if I can pull that together in a month or so, my main gun will be my 25x45 this winter for predator hunting.

I have been working a lot with the Vmax 75gr, Nosler 85gr BT, and 70gr Sierra BK. Spent quite a bit of time using AA2015, 10X, Varget, 8208, 3031, and H335. I finally think I found my load using H335. I tried it last because its so dirty but given the number of rounds I shoot in a hunting season I doubt its going to really effect me. All I do is bore snake my rifle anyway besides wipe out and off. I guess I will end up taking the bolt apart every couple of months to really clean it as the cold can reek havick on a dirty bolt.

The load ended up being H335 26.5gr w/ Sierra 70gr BK cci 400primer, of course just seated to mag length. The 70gr BK are proven coyote thumpers so hopefully they will do their job if I do mine.

You need to be easy running the expander ball through neck or you will split it, just ease it through and its all good. I used the OCW method in my work up.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx331/davemhughes/25x45f.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx331/davemhughes/25x45g.jpg[/img]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

loaded 5 rds w/ H335 26.5gr & Sierra 70gr BK. 2 errors and 3 reports one 2989 and one 2893....I took a photo of the middle one. Still little doubt in my mind a 70gr .257 bullet moving at this speed will put the absolute smack down on a coyote.

[img]http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx331/davemhughes/25x45chrony.jpg[/img]

Load Data Disclaimer - Use caution if you use it. Blah Blah Blah...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SAAMI SPECIFICATIONS 25-45 SHARPS

Federal will be producing commercial ammo for it.

ARIC

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
"The barrel nut I just hand tightened and then gave it a little more twist to line the gas tube hole up....I did not torgue it as I think once the hole is lined up after timing it correctly it takes some force to do this."

A word of caution, I once had an upper that would shoot good one day and then be all over the place the next. I finally stripped it down and someone had just hand tightened the barrel nut. I torqued it and all was well after that. There is a reason 30ft. lbs is the minumum as well as seating the threads before torquing... but it is your rifle.

I've never heard of the 25x45 it would seem there are better choices for heavier bullets. But why not the 223 with 75-80 gr bullets? To me, they have better BC, SD and equal or better velocity. I understand there doesn't always have to be a reason but I'm curious as to why.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
nice report, nice rifle, nice accuracy. Does it use standard AR15 magazines? A 25 makes more sense than many of the new ar cartridges. How much speed can you get with a 100 grain bullet?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
but maybe a 100 is too long?

KAG Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by TWR

A word of caution, I once had an upper that would shoot good one day and then be all over the place the next. I finally stripped it down and someone had just hand tightened the barrel nut. I torqued it and all was well after that. There is a reason 30ft. lbs is the minumum as well as seating the threads before torquing... but it is your rifle.

I've never heard of the 25x45 it would seem there are better choices for heavier bullets. But why not the 223 with 75-80 gr bullets? To me, they have better BC, SD and equal or better velocity. I understand there doesn't always have to be a reason but I'm curious as to why.

Almost always when you tighten the barrel nut it lines up in between the gas tube notches. Tighten it more till it lines up (timed)and see what your torgue wrench says.....it takes more than just a light snug to get it there....this is how I do it and its working....so far. Some guys use loc-tite on theirs and I never do....

I like the all purpose fit of it with a simple barrel change. Shoots light bullets fast and whenever I want I can stuff a 100gr Soft point in the case @ mag lengths and push it near 2500-2600fps...kind of tough in the 223. Most importantly I am a 25cal fan plus its fun. Sharps Rifle Company is making it their signature AR platform and Federal is backing it.

Originally Posted by jimmyp
nice report, nice rifle, nice accuracy. Does it use standard AR15 magazines? A 25 makes more sense than many of the new ar cartridges. How much speed can you get with a 100 grain bullet?

Yes everything is standard, only a barrel change. 2500-2600fps area....with my accurate loads with heavier bullets the speeds have been around 2450ish. I built this for Coyote hunting and that what I load it for. I have a sweet 70gr Sierra Blitz King load worked up that I intend to shoot mostly. I also have a 85gr Nosler BT load that is also a killer...I think that chronied at 2700ish.

Originally Posted by jimmyp
but maybe a 100 is too long?

The main limitation is the mag length that you have to work with. Some heavier bullets are longer because of better BC design and are not well suited to this cartridge because of the mag length constraints.

These are just some of the different weights I have shot...could I get more speed, probably I was working these up for accuracy.

100gr Bullet @2600fps 1500ft-lbs energy
85gr Bullet @2750 1427ft-lbs
75gr Bullet @2950 1448ft-lbs
70gr Bullet @3000 1398ft-lbs

This is just a good light weight carry / calling rifle that is just as easy to reload for as a 223 and has better punch.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very cool...

Likely not necessary but cool anyway...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beats the old .25 Remington. Ought to be good on deer too.

Not everything has to be a magnum. 2700fps has always been a sweet spot for bullet performance.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the 250 savage was 87 grains at 3000 correct?

KAG Offline OP
OP Offline
I do plan to maybe deer hunt with it this year just to post up a deer pic with it. It will do the job but like I said its primarily a predator rifle.....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
that is a sweet rig you have there, and the 25x45 sounds like a good cartridge for ARs.

IC B3

D
D
I was looking for information on .25 caliber for the AR and found your write up on the web. I just accepted and signed onto the 24 hour Campfire forum.
So here go my first post:
I just order the same 25X45mm barreled upper from Tactical Ammunition, which uses barrels form Black hole Weaponry. But I'll a little confused on this caliber; for instance can it also shoot the 25X223? Which is just a shorten 5.56 case, correct? The 25X45 has a case length of 1.76" versus the 25X223 case length of 1.70" is my understanding of these cartridges correct?
Where can I get dies for reloading as the 25X45mm is not factory load ammo, as of yet. I was planning on loading the heavier grain bullets as I'm a big fan of heavy bullets in the 5.56 configuration. I currently load the Barnes TTSX and TSX in 62, 70gr. and the Hornady 80gr A-MAX. The biggest problem with the Barnes TTSX and the Hornady A-Max is the polymer tip it definitely increases the projectile length which becomes a problem when loading heavy bullets. I suspect this will be my reloading problem with the 25X45, because my thought was to load the 25X45mm with the 90 and 100 grain projectiles.
I won't be getting my upper for ~3 months so in this time I want to star my reloading plan. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
Lastly, is this cartridge/caliber considered the 25X45 Sharps?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
785 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 77 invisible), 3,206 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,709
Posts18,400,156
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.