Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I hear all kinds of AI talk on here in about every caliber....except the real kahuna of the AI tribe.... cool

I know all these blown out 375's are similar but I want to hear from guys who have used this one......loads, velocites, etc.?

Any 375 AI users? Where are you? confused

Let's hear about it!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I run a 375 Wby which is pretty much the same thing, it's a heck of a Yote rifle..grin

Friend of mine from Boise ran one for a long time as his Yote rig. (He's an absolute killing machine, I doubt he's ever been on a puter and yet he kills more big critters of all kinds pretty much like Scenar and Greenie)

Dober

Side note, I've had my 3-10 Leo w/M1 on board and it's a elk killing machine as well.. cool

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 09/08/11.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one made up back in the early 70's by Floyd Butler. Its on a Sako L61R as I did not know about CRF back then. I had the headspace set on the tight side so it can headspace on the shoulder when FL sized.

I don't think I reached any special velocities with jacketed bullets. The data may be somewhere. Back then I was into cast bullets for both targets and hunting. I shot some poor deer with it up close with a hollow point gas check bullet cast from linotype. Its MV may have been about 2000 fps. The bullet made an exit and the deer fell there.

Overall the rifle kicked too hard and is too heavy for Eastern hunting. It sits in the safe along with a pre 64 M70 standard H&H.

I am not into the so called improved cartridges these days but to each his own. If some guy wants to make one work then fine.

I did shake Lysle Kilbourn's hand if that counts!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Savage: Floyd Butler was the smith Ken Waters had do some work....from NY state,correct?

From what I have seen the cartridge builds some impressive vels over the 375H&H....

Dober: I know a couple of Boise folks who have run the AI and the velocities are right up there.....so is the recoil.I can imagine it's an elk killing machine... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah some where along the way of H&H to the Wby it do become a bit cheekier.

One of these days I might put the old 3-10 M/1 back on it and sanction an elk on the moon...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
How much faster will an AI version of a 375 H&H shoot?

How much more will it recoil?

I'll guess - it will be about 5% faster, and it'll hit back with about 25% more recoil.

Anyone? Anyone?

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine gets an easy 100 Brian, what I like most about the improved cases are they don't need much trimming and I don't have to lean on a standard round to get to so and so speed. If that makes sense..?

Recoil, not sure how to put it but a top end H&H load is comfy and then some a top end Bee/AI load gets a bit caustic at times.

Dober

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine do shoot the 235 TSX very well, but it do have the BC of a jelly bean..grin

Would like to shoot some of the new 250 TTSX's thru mine, that would be a super bullet I feel.

Dober

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That's why I wonder about whether to do it - or not.

It seems to me that getting 100 extra feet per second if it means getting belted with say, 20 to 25 % more recoil isn't going to be worth it - maybe even more with a 375 AI - than with lessor calibers.

Still, I understand the appeal - and one can always load an "improved" version down, so flexibility could, arguably, be enhanced.

There's no doubt the round would look "cooler" - but I wonder if it would feed just as slickly as it does now? Right now, I shoot my 375 H&H well, but, if it recoiled more, I don't know at what point I might stop enjoying shooting it. For now, I think I'll leave well enough, alone.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I did it again, I'd go with a bit less tube, cut it to 23" and go with a 6x36 w/dotz or a 6x36 with M1 on top.

Bottom line, I'd forgo the speed and set up my scope to deal with it.

I'd prefer it to be 8lbs give or take a skosh and AI'd or Bee'd and it'll be a pain 4 me!

Dober

IC B3

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dober/ Brian: We had one back here that was built by one of the Idaho boys;but ownership traded back and forth between friends here and in Idaho, so I got to monkey with it.

It was built on a pre 64 H&H action,IIRC 23" SS Krieger twisted 10",and Brown stock...can't recall exact weight but with 4X Leupold I doubt it was much over 8-8 1/4 pounds.

It was dubbed "THOR" ...

I recall being at the range with a couple of friends and we chronographed the 275 Bitterroot at 2940 or thereabouts; or about what I have been getting for years with the 250 gr BBC from the standard H&H.

I never have seen it measured, but the cartridge would do 3100 or better with the 250 BBC according to friends....

The AI version could also take heavy charges of slow burning powder that just would not fit into the standard case.

So what it seemed we had was a cartridge that beat the standard H&H by about 150 fps with 250's and 275's....but this is why guys built it if they were using BBC's which could withstand as much vel as you could give them,and even behaved somewhat better, expanded more fully, with more velocity and more twist. They wanted max vels with the 275 gr bullets.

After dorking around with it I stuck to the standard case and used the 250's at 2900,which are good for anything here....it was more manageable than the AI version.

And yes it kicked alright;manageable,but it certainly recoiled.

If a guy has a favorite 375 I would not rechamber myself......I'd get a second rifle and punch it out.....don't mess with what works. smile

I am not sure it makes much sense today with the 375 RUM around,but that doesn't mean it isn't still good.

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/08/11.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Bob, I have a rechambered M-70 classic stainless w/ the 24" barrel and I have developed a few loads in mine, all are .5 to 1.25" loads in calm conditions.

300 gn SAF 2900 fps w/ N-205....discontinued powder
300 gn SAF and Np's 2800 fps w/ N-204...available
270 gn TSX 2980 fps W/ N-204

Been wanting to try RL-17 with the 270 TSX'x and the new 250 TTSX bullets, it may be a real dark horse and give very high vels.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Thor" sounds about model perfecto to me! I had "Thunder", my 8.25 pound 700/340 with a 3-10 Leo on top. With the 250's and 275's it could be a bit feisty..grin

Thor is to me the ultimate big bore for me which of course is actually a mid bore and one heck of a yote rig! If'n I can't do it with a 375 then it aint been hatched yet.

Dober

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
gunner I do recall that N205 was very good in the Improved 375....old article in Rifle, as I recall....and your vels are about spot on...

I never saw what the 300 gr could do,but recall that the 270 gr got to 3000 (Whew!).That is smokin!I do think RL17 would be good with either.....from the sounds of things R17 might not be a whole lot different from the old H205....which means it'll work well in the standard H&H as well...

DOBER: You would have LOVED Thor! Killed on one end, and maimed on the other! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I opted for the Bee reamer over the AI when re-chambering time came. Just did it because factory Wby (Norma) brass is available. Call me lazy.

I named it Whomper.

From a 26" barrel, 250 SGK's over H414 go 3060 fps with a little room to spare. 300 Hornadys over 4350 hit 2800+ fps.

At 8.5 lbs. scoped & loaded it's a brisk ride. You'll definitely notice it's not an H&H. With a Limbsaver pad out back, it's not painful. But it is approaching the limit of what I'd call "fun" to shoot for prolonged sessions on the bench.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bench doesn't bother me much, it's some of the weird field positions that one finds themselves in from time to time that gets a bit sporting for me.

Dober

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My father has one. Tom Burgess built it for him on a Pre-War M70, and George Hoenig stocked it for him. It is an incredible rifle. I wish I had pictures to share... The next time I visit him I will take some pictures.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dober,

cool

I used to shoot 'yotes with my 416 Rigby loaded with 350gr varmint bullets...just for practice. wink

I think anyone who wants a 375 AI should just opt for the Weatherby version.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Whitebird, love the see that rifle by Burgess/Hoenig.

Savage thanks for that link.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (1eyedmule, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 11 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,264
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.