Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, this gives an advantage on the XS sights ruger backup.

Va t'in tch�re !
GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have an NECG sight on an NEF handi-rifle, 45-70. Works just fine at the range. Haven't hunted with it yet. At one point, I had the sight on a Win. Model 70 in .375 H&H. I could get it to shoot to POA only with the 300 grain bullets. Lighter bullets shot unacceptably high, IIRC.
Pete

Last edited by PeteD; 09/07/11.

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
Karl Wallenda
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rj308,

Have you ever fired that Ruger 77 with that sight on it? It looks like the bolt handle will hit the rear sight. Call me skeptical.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If the bolt handle's move is the same as the one of a win 70 bolt, after the handle reaches the horizontal position the bolt moves backward while the handle continues to rise, so this gives some more space for a sight, very small space but space though.

Va t'in tch�re !
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RJ308, I like that front sight, what is it? I "need" one. grin

Thanks

My bad, it looks like the one in the xs set. blush

Last edited by AJD; 09/07/11.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
RJ308

I just looked at the Burris site and didn't see an adapter for a #1. Is it the same one for a 77 and a #1?

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gentlemen, I will answer a few of your questions. Yes I have fired the gun with this sight installed. Before I installed the front sight, I sighted it in using one of X/S's plastic "try" front sight posts, that you start very high and clip off segments until you arrive at the correct height. Then you measure the height of it and order your new front sight accordingly. Yes, there is plenty of bolt clearance. I made sure of that when I put it together. The Burris adapter that I used was the lower one of the two in the M77 set. There was a lot of filing involved, but it was worth it to me. With some 140 grain Hornady loads (7x57 Mauser) I fired a couple of 3 shot groups with this sight set-up that measured 1.25" and 1.4" It surprised me with my 63 year old eyes, but I have X/S ghost ring sights on many rifles and I am quite used to using them. I have shot some game with them also and I especially like the ability to see the game well as I align my sights to make the shot, as opposed to the the target and/or surrounding area being blotted out by the sight base and aperature as with the NECG sight. I also own a couple NECG's and now use them only occasionally for target shooting on my #1's

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I dunno... that's a REALLY TALL front sight.

What is your height over bore? I'm guessing you are over an inch.

Last edited by alukban; 09/08/11.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
To an extent it doesn't matter how tall the sights are unless you are trying to shoot a snake in the eye at 2 feet. Shooting something even a few feet away, the most your bullet will be low is less than an inch if you are sighted in for a hundred yards.My sights are MUCH lower than a one inch scope in the lowest possible rings you can buy for, not just a Ruger rifle, but any rifle. If you want low sights then get a NECG receiver sight and not be able to see your game when the shot is available. As I said in a previous post, with the high comb on Ruger rifles, which is designed that way for good sight alignment when using a scope, it is difficult, unless you have a very skinny face, to get your head low enough on the stock to use the factory iron sights. Therefore the extra height of a set of sights like I have on my RSI, allows for perfect position and sight alignment for me, being of average build.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by AkMike1
RJ308

I just looked at the Burris site and didn't see an adapter for a #1. Is it the same one for a 77 and a #1?

Here are the two at Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=178948

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=855239

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The set that fits the M77 rifle,(not M77/22) is the set that I bought and I used the shorter of the two bases to make my sight.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Another Alternative for a Ghost ring receiver sight on the Ruger rifles, which is also an X/S product is their Ruger Back-up receiver sight. However you will need two holes drilled in the scope rib and one of them tapped for 8-40 threads. I have them installed on my 77/22, 77/357 and 77/44 rifles. They are the same height as the sight I made up for my RSI and they require only one screw to install or detach. When removed and scope rings installed, the rear scope ring covers the two inconspicuous holes (one in the scope ring lug cut-out and the threaded one behind it), so you cannot even see the holes. These sights are very small and look good on the rifle. Another great feature of the X/S ghost ring sights is that you can get several different size apertures for them, even one that is threaded to install a small peep disk for target work. Next week I will post a pic of one of these rifles with this sight installed.

Last edited by rj308; 09/08/11.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is not a very close pic, but this is an X/S Ruger Back-up sight installed on my M77/22. I have removed the aperture and I can mount a scope in low Ruger rings and the tube will still clear the sight base using the forward of the two rear scope mount locations for the rear scope ring.
[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
just some follow up pics
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This week, I am going to start working on another detachable receiver sight for my #1's. Since I don't have to worry about bolt lift on the #1, I can make this one about .100 lower.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
OK, here's another rear sight peep option.

I am actually ashamed that I did not think of it sooner frown

You can just use the rear sight from a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle - grind off the ears if you find them objectionable!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 09/12/11.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is that part availabe apart from the rifle ?

Va t'in tch�re !
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That's fine if you don't mind drilling and tapping your receiver. Those sights mount by a screw into the scope rib. Also it looks taller than my sight!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.