Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
Hunter 1960 said:
Good old, Hungry Lizard, aka. Hunter-Ligget. Spent about 4mo's there in 1985. Doing a test in air to air helicopter combat. My company of the 9th Avn. Bn. at Ft. Lewis, was tasked as the Blackhawk element.

They'ld mount a MILES system on the aircraft giving the P/CP the ability to aim the MILES. We were fighting against S-model AH-1 Cobras. The AH-1's were rigged with MILES also. This was before the AH-64 came out, hot and heavy.

This project was in response to how US forces could deploy against the Soviet Hokom helicopter, which was designed as a helicopter attack helicopter. Sometimes we were the OPFOR, sometimes we weren't. It was an enjoyable test.

I remember all the hoopla about air to air helicopter combat. Since we were all flying Huey's at the time we were sure we would be the first USSR "kill".

It all ended in 1989 thank goodness. kwg

Alot of interesting facts came out of the testing. One that the UH-60 could be a darn good air to air helo. fighter. Much of this info. that came out of this test went into the making of the DAP (Direct Action Penetrator) aircraft at the Task Force. That involving weapon sys. etc.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mossy
I just finished the movie and had a question about the landscape.

Is there anywhere in Vietnam that looks remotely like the dry grassy areas where most of the battle scenes were filmed?

I'd ask my dad (he did two tours),but he really doesn't like to talk about his time over there.

Viet Nam has very diverse terrain. I've been to the Ho CHi Min City area and south to the Mekong Delta - brushy and flat; reminded me of central Louisiana. My father roperated in this area with the 11th ACR. Also went to DaNang and the surrounding area; surprise - desert. Defnitely not what I expected.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
My reading of the Vietnam War changed my view of the "MOVIE" steriotyping of the land scape.
There were high lofty mountains, desert like dunes and scrub on some coast lines, to the swampy delta areas - and about anything you could imagine in between.

My son that served in IRAQ, a place we all think of as a desert environment, told me of a helo assault to an island in (I believe) the Tigres river that was thick jungle and palm trees. He said they couldn't see ten feet in some places!

"We were solider's once" is a great movie about a horrible battle. One of the most sobering accounts of which is that told by Mr. Jack P. Smith.
http://www.mishalov.com/death_ia_drang_valley.html

Hey - you stole my Sig!

Not that you aren't welcome to use it..... smile Those men deserve all the poor recognition e can give them.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.