Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Short Action 7mm Winchester Magnum

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Kimber Montana 8400 WSM weighs less than a M70 Featherweight.

Approximate weight: 6 pounds 3 ounces

For 'just' hunting and not a pre 64 showpiece I prefer the Kimbers over the old M70's.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably go .280AI. I've heard a few tales of woe about 7WSM brass quality, and unless you want to get into slightly laborious case forming, and an incorrect headstamp, you are stuck with Winchester or Federal. But since I already have two 7WSMs, I'd probably go with .280 AI still. In fact, one of my .270s is likely to end up a .280AI (one of the others will most likely be a 6.5-06 or a .338-06).

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Gee! Where's all the 7mm WSM guys? shocked smile

Out shooting while the window lickers are talking... grin

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
280 AI definitely, easy to load for and factory loads available from Nosler.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by super T
What's a 7WSM? OK I know what it is, but it's very likely going to the history books. For me it's the .280AI or if you don't reload the great 7RM.

superT shows high intellect..... cool smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd rather run a standard .280 (I have 2 now smile ) and spin together a Super 7...

I've been diagnosed as having stage 4 Mashburn Disease.....it's pretty contagious around here!

Last edited by CLB; 09/15/11.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CLB
I'd rather run a standard .280 (I have 2 now :)) and spin together a Super 7...

I've been diagnosed as having stage 4 Mashburn Disease.....it's pretty contagious around here!

I wasn't going to mention it.... whistle

But of several so far, there are no unhappy campers...leaves 280AI and WSM's inhaling exhaust fumes.Makes ya smile... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.280AI unless I was trying to satisfy the speed fetish then I would go 7mm Mashburn.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by CLB
I'd rather run a standard .280 (I have 2 now :)) and spin together a Super 7...

I wasn't going to mention it.... whistle

But of several so far, there are no unhappy campers...leaves 280AI and WSM's inhaling exhaust fumes.Makes ya smile... smile

I'll have the donor by the end of October. I'll just need to talk to Dober about the reamer.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would rather have a 7mm WSM in a Kimber than any 7mm in a M70.

The Kimber weighs less than a M70 Featherweight and handles the moderate 7mm WSM recoil just fine.

We carry them far more than we shoot them at game and the WSM has more range than a Featherweight in any 280. No thanks to the odd 7mm Mashburn. Just not worth the bother.

When I see and handle a 280 AI in a Montana then I may be tempted. In the meantime I like my WSM Montana's!

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I've had a Kimber in a WSM and would go with the Model 70. I have two other Kimbers that I like a lot, but they're not WSMs. It's not just about weight for me. Going towards the 280AI anyway so it's a moot point.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You're in deer camp and someone asks, "What ya shootin'?"

Wouldn't you rather say, "Ackley Improved" instead of "Wizzzzm"?

No contest.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
It's no longer cool now that I have one. Calvin said so.

They are still cool,and I want one,but I haven't been able to find a Kimber Montana in 7mmWSM,there are no more new ones and the old ones are mighty scarce.

I may just do what you did and buy a Montana in another WSM and have Pacnor make me a 7mm WSM that I know will group.

My other option is to get a new Extreme Weather M70 in 7mmWSM but I already have one in 270WSM which is mighty close.

I think my best option is to buy your rifle,which as I already mentioned is really cool.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 09/15/11.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Gee! Where's all the 7mm WSM guys? shocked smile

Out shooting while the window lickers are talking... grin

I have an ABolt in 7WSM. Seems to be pleasingly accurate, groups very well with handloads and the 150gr Partition. Nice ladder stand rifle, dumps deer very well to about as far as I am able to hitem.

Last edited by AlabamaEd; 09/15/11.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I would rather have a 7mm WSM in a Kimber than any 7mm in a M70.

Downgrade....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[quote=Savage_99]I would rather have a 7mm WSM in a Kimber than any 7mm in a M70.

Downgrade....

I know you may consider the 7mm Mashburn Super "odd",but it is no more "odd" than a 280AI is in wildcat guise(being as both cartridges were conceived in the 50's sometime);because all the Mashburn is,is a 300Win Mag necked down and blown out slightly.

And after 40+ years of loading for, and hunting with most all of the 7mm's from the 7x57 and 7/08 to the 7mm Dakota and STW,what I have discovered is that in choosing among the standard or magnum case 7mm's,they "do" what their case capacities indicate they will do and little more.

It seems if you stick a 24" tube on a 280AI you can push a 140 to 3200 fps;a standard 280 will give 3050-3080 with a 22" barrel.Good cartridges all,but I fail to see the magic because there will be virtually no differences in trajectory nor effect on game between them, and you can toss a 270 Winchester in there as well.It is a bit delusional to think there is a universe of difference between these various cartridges using similarly constructed bullets at similar velocities.That said we all have our favorites.

But when it comes to the heavy bullets from 160 gr and 175-180(where the real 7mm "magic" resides for long range BG killing) my observations are that the larger cases,starting with the Dakota and Mashburn(twins really) very easily trump anything smaller(including the WSM and the Remington version),and the velocity comes "easily",without running pressures up or causing you to operate on the ragged edge,or do any trick moves.

Each will easily start a 160 gr bullet at 3200+,a 175 or 180 close enough to 3100 not to matter,and from a 24" tube (even faster in the 26" tubes frequently seen on tricked out 280AI's and WSM's) in a rifle weighing 8 pounds or less,with rather modest powder charges compared to the FL H&H rounds(efficient,and recoil is still manageable)I know this not from reading about it but from doing the work and shooting over the years from various rifles.

As to platforms, you may think a Kimber Montana in 7mm WSM "unique"...I don't, because I have been building and hunting with such 7mm Mag rifles,weighing within a few ounces of a full up Montana,since the early 80's, mostly built on M70 or Remington 700 actions.It just took the manufacturers about 25-30 years to catch up to what I and many others have been building and hunting with for decades.

So, you may think it "odd" but considering the niche it fills(that lesser 7mm's cannot),I think it makes more sense than a trendy cartridge that does nothing more than a garden variety 270 or 280,130-140 gr bullets at 3000-3200 fps being in the same general category,to me anyway.

I could give you the names of some folks on here who have built or are building Mashburns (and are known on here) since Dober popularized it.

The names might surprise you....these boys can have anything they want,and have hunted with just about everything under the sun,continent wide and abroad;and some are using them on hunts as we speak....what I know for certain,is that many of them have done a LOT of BG hunting with a wide variety of cartridges,and are in a far better position to evaluate cartridge performance than you.....after having used about everything else out there,they all consider the cartridge to be very much "worth it". wink

Apologies to the OP for the highjack. blush smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/16/11.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob,

You missed my point that those cannons, that I have also, are too heavy for me!

They are too heavy for me to carry all day. The Kimber Montana WSM weighs less than a M70 Featherweight and is therefore easier to carry for me.

I go hunting about twice a week, went last Monday and I am going today. I will bring a 7mm WSM for a possible long shot.

If I was going to hunt closer to the car I would carry one of the cannons with a bipod on it. I like them too.

I have had AI's made up along with wildcats and I have the funds to have what I want. They are no longer worth the bother to me. I do have a Mashburn trigger however on one custom. grin

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.