Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was looking over their website for stocks, the site seems to have been revised since my last visit. I can't find the Ruger #1 offerings. Are they a thing of the past?

What is your take on this SS, model 11?

Has anyone handled/tried one?

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by AJD
I was looking over their website for stocks, the site seems to have been revised since my last visit. I can't find the Ruger #1 offerings. Are they a thing of the past?

The above statement is your first clue as to the long term viability of the no 11 Luxus arms rifle, IMHO.

The other problem with Luxus is they are known for "bait and switch" marketing.They have done the same thing with that rifle. They claimed at first to be making a plain grade at less than 1k with the fancy grade wood versions costing about 2K. Less than a year later, when actually produced, they cost double that- and they are still an ugly rifle.

They have started up at least 4 gun stock/gun companies companies in the last 5 years and only two of them really make/sell anything.. You cannot get a live person to answer the phone when you call. They are not even known for backing a 1K stock blanks for defects, why would you give them 3K for a rifle that may not work, which they may not back?

The "No. 11" is a rather ugly rifle action for 3k IMHO , no matter what grade or species of wood it has on it..

Unproven design and based on no existing action. They do not even show the operating features on the site. The shape and mill work on the action makes an H&R Handi rifle look sleek by comparison.

If I had 2K or more to spend on a custom grade single shot rifle, it would be going to Shiloh, C Sharps ,CPA or a few other action/rifle makers- not the clowns at "Luxus Arms".

They are the "used car salesmen" of the gun world, IMHO.

Last edited by jim62; 06/25/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jim I don't disagree, I had not seen anything on here about them. If I had that money to spend it would go to something else.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
AJD..

I guess my point is- a beautiful(and overpriced) piece of Turkish walnut does not a fine single shot rifle make.. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I agree, and those were also my thoughts, I was curious as to others opinions. I had not seen the rifle discussed here.

Thanks for responding.

Who would you recommend for a #1-#3 Stock?

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I have to chime in here...have you contacted Luxus and asked if they'd stock a #1?

Luxus did a #1S .300 H&H Mag for me, and I couldn't be happier with the result.

Although I must agree, that #11 is fugly.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by AJD
I agree, and those were also my thoughts, I was curious as to others opinions. I had not seen the rifle discussed here.

Thanks for responding.

Who would you recommend for a #1-#3 Stock?

At this time considering the $1,500+ Luxus charges for their finished Ruger no 1 stocks- I would go with Wenig.

$1,500 will buy a very nice No 1 set from them.

Last edited by jim62; 06/25/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
NY-No I have not spoken to them. I would periodically go to their site to look and get ideas of what I like.

Thanks Jim! I talked to them a while back (mostly about a fitting a shotgun stock) and had forgotten they told me they would do a #1.

Last edited by AJD; 06/25/11.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Hello ADJ,
Here is a thread talking about the Luxus M 11..
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9421043/m/3091038351/p/2

Note Mr. Freeman hasn't answered questions about his less expensive version and why the finish product isn't even close to to what was described as a "Sort of a cross between a model 10 and a farqaursen"..
I usually give a person the benefit of the doubt when it comes to things like this but so far I have to say Jim62 has hit the nail on the head as far as Luxus is concerned..

catnthehat who posts here has used a "Treebone Carving" stock for his Ruger #1 .303 project..

http://www.treebonecarving.com/id18.html

Last edited by Nrut; 06/27/11.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Nrut!

I'm familiar with George over at Treebone, for me and those I have spoken to that have used his services, he has been great to work with. IMO very knowledgeable, friendly, and willing to share his knowledge with us novices.. I've never heard anything but good things about him.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I just took a peek at the Model 11 on the Luxus site...I have to say that the lines on that thing are atrocious. If I was spending some serious cheddar, it would definitely go to a Model 10 before I ever put money on the Luxus.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
It makes the lines of the old Edsel car from the 50's look breathtaking. I think it might be the ugliest single shot I've seen in a long time. Even fancy wood can't dress up that dog. Like putting Roseanne Barr in a fancy prom dress and telling folks she's the next Miss America.

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep, I think you could take a #1, restock it, rebarrel it, and be miles ahead.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by AJD
Yep, I think you could take a #1, restock it, rebarrel it, and be miles ahead.

EXACTLY!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AJD
Thanks Nrut!

I'm familiar with George over at Treebone, for me and those I have spoken to that have used his services, he has been great to work with. IMO very knowledgeable, friendly, and willing to share his knowledge with us novices.. I've never heard anything but good things about him.

I had a custom #1 made up using a treebone stock set as well. Good stuff, until it it went in for service and Ruger refused to give it back without it leaving as a factory gun.

something tells me theres a 17 PPC running around new hampshire

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jim62

The other problem with Luxus is they are known for "bait and switch" marketing.They have done the same thing with that rifle. They claimed at first to be making a plain grade at less than 1k with the fancy grade wood versions costing about 2K. Less than a year later, when actually produced, they cost double that- and they are still an ugly rifle.

sounds like the same thing Dakota did with their Predator!

ML

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ML - as good looking as that 17 was - YOU THINK??? LOL.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My Contender carbine with a 16.25 inch barrel is also ugly, but it has a purpose........ jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
VAturkey, thats a cold statement that you made about Rosanne Barr, but....it's right on the money!LOL!

Last edited by rj308; 09/15/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the guys I know at the local gun shop had a #1 .300HH stocked by them,it's done by CNC with no hand fitting.He has since sent to a real wood guy to get the extra wood off it and get the lines to flow a little better,Killer piece of wood to work with and it will look a lot better when it gets back,but he'll have a lot of $$ in it.....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.