Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What thrust level in a electric tolling motor do I need for a 14' aluminum boat?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you fishing rivers or into high wind?

12v or 24v system?

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No rivers and maybe light wind.

Everyday Hunter
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I just went through this. I have a 14' aluminum lund with a plywood floor.

I went with a transom mount minn kota 55 lb thrust. (endura 55)

Sadly I cannot tell you how well it works yet as I haven't had time to try it on a nearby "electric or paddle only" lake I have in mind for it.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You should be fine with anything 40lbs and up I believe. We have a 55lb on the pontoon and it is plenty and I have an 80lb on the Walleye boat but it is very heavy and something bigger would be nice in the river.

Check out Dick's and Walmart, they were both closing them out and had some pretty good deals.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 30, but very rarely use it, but it has been sufficient for my use so far, on a Lowe 1448M. I usually just use the gas engine.

Sometimes, when I want to get across a shallow flat to one of the creeks that feed the James, I'll raise my gas engine and use the trolling motor, but the gas engine has a shallow-water setting that generally does what I want.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
45lbs or more.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My minkota 40# moves my Xpress 1440 very well! In fact, it moves the aluminum better and faster than my 30# moves my canoe.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was using a 36# on a fiberglass Gheenoe, but a bigger motor would have been alright with me. The advice on 55lb seems pretty good to me. I don't think it matters that much. The higher the thrust, the faster the battery wears down. If you wanted speed, you'd probably use a gas motor, unless their use was restricted.

Whichever electric you choose, I would go with an AGM battery. They cost more, but they seem to last A LOT longer. I was able to get multiple trips out of one charge and I was using the smallest Cabelas brand AGM they sold. I was amazed at the battery life I was getting.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That is some good info, TomSmith. Thanks.

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So Ringman

What is the plan for the boat/motor, what will work on a small lake of downstream on a slow moving river will only get you into trouble on some waters.
14 foot boat on open water in a wind can provide some entertainment with a smaller electric.

I use a 30 lb thrust Minn Kota mounted almost amidshp on my 15" canoe The handle/control head is reversed and it makes it much easier to bring out of the water in the shallows. I am sure mounting it this ay on the canoe makes it less efficient ( bet there are some experts on thrust and vectors that could calculate and explain it).

I motor and fish upstream in a small river ( pool and shoals) for half a day then use it only for positioning on the float back in the afternoon.

I think the difference in power with a 40 lb motor would be useful, but I'm too CHEAP to buy one to find out.

Works pretty well as it is, but will not overcome current in some areas with just me in the canoe. Some spots I can overcome the current with the addition of paddle power and others I have to get out and drag the rig against the current ( hence my edict always go upstream against the current and float back to the vehicle).

See if you can borrow one first and go from there after testing.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Motor Guide 55# bow mount on my 19' Deep V. 55# should be ok for you. FWIW, if I were to buy a new trolling motor, it would be a Minn Kota. Good luck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a 19' fiberglass fishnski. It's got a 50 lb. Minn Kota Maxxum. We fish some pretty big lakes-Truman, Stockton, Table Rock. Seems big enough.

The electric motors used today are huge compared to those of my youth. Lots of the old ones had to have been about 12 lbs. or so. A 20 lber was big back when Shakespeares and Silvertrols ruled.

I'd think that a 30 lber would be plenty.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ive got a 40 Lb. Minnkota on a bass tracker v17 and it will drag the ol boat anywhere I want her to go here in NE Kansas other than maybe the Missouri river might be a lil too tuff.

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd consider any of those transom mounted minn kotas with at least 45 ft/lb of thrust. The prices are so low why not get more power than you usually need. A sudden burst with max thrust can be very useful at times. I really like a variable speed as opposed to a 5 speed. Get a model that has the optimizer, it will extend battery life significantly.

Here is a reasonably priced unit with maximizer, the Traxxis

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/trolling_motors/freshwater_transom_mount/traxxis.aspx

Last edited by Azshooter; 09/09/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a endura 38# on a 16 ft Lowe Sea Nymph and it moved it just fine 4-5 miles a hour tops.
BBJ

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,861
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.