Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by docost99
Sorry for the simple question, guys, but I'm just getting started. After running the brass through the tumbler, how do you get all the polishing compound dust out of the cases?

I don't think most people worry about the inside, as far as dust goes. Wipe down the outside before sizing. For bottleneck cases I also lube the inside of the case neck before resizing (lube the case body too of course). After resizing and depriming I run my cases through the tumbler again to remove the case lube. I check the flash holes to make sure that none of the media is lodged in them.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I don't have a problem with dust from walnut media from Pet Smart as long as I run the cleaner long enough to get the cases slick and clean. I only have a problem when I don't run it long enough. I use a small Allen wrench to pick out the media stuck in the flash holes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Toothpicks are cheap and plentiful.

Another toothpick man here laugh

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 to the dryer sheets.

Make sure to use the used ones, they have much more porosity to collect dust. I cut mine up into 1-2" squares for better distribution.

I also "recharge" my media with a capful of Nu-Finish, the car stuff, every other load or so.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This makes tumbling sound like a whole lot of work just to have pretty cases. I couldn't care less how pretty they are as long as the bullet comes out of the barrel straight.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I tumble mine to get the case lube off of the cases. I put a little media polish in the corn cob media and don't have a dust problem. A straightened out paper clip works great for a flash hole pick to get the stuck media out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by savage62
Right on .Just use a rag to wipe it off

yep.

and het a neck brush for the inside

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Ok, guys, thanks for the info. I happen to like pretty brass, and I don't like having that little case lube film, so I tumble them for those two reasons. I use a short length of copper wire to clean the flash hole. I figured the copper was soft enough to not ding the pocket, but sturdier than a toothpick! I am using a nylon brush on the neck, but one day I used some q-tips to clean out the inside and there was a lot of red dust in there! Nobody does anything crazy like running them through the dishwasher, right?

Brian

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have any of you guys used a shaker in lieu of a tumbler?

Opinions?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
This makes tumbling sound like a whole lot of work just to have pretty cases. I couldn't care less how pretty they are as long as the bullet comes out of the barrel straight.

Not really. I use a Thumler's Model "B", loaded with lizard litter and white rice, and can put a BUNCH of brass in at one time. Load it up and walk away. I tumble it to get it clean, not to make it look new, as my dies like it better clean. If I want to let it run for a while, I can make it look almost new, but I don't mess with that usually. I put the polish in to make it clean faster, as it has a mild solvent in it, as well as to control dusting.

Last edited by 68injunhed; 09/20/11.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Makes a lot of sense.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Have any of you guys used a shaker in lieu of a tumbler?

Opinions?

That would be the vibratory instead of the tumblatory method. smile (I love awkward words.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I am using a nylon brush on the neck, but one day I used some q-tips to clean out the inside and there was a lot of red dust in there!

A shot of compressed air removes most of that.

Nobody does anything crazy like running them through the dishwasher, right?

I don't use a dishwasher, but I do wash out my brass. I don't want lube residue, media dust or polish additive hanging around inside my cases.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I use a shaker instead of a tumbler. It works fine for me. I care less about a shiny case than I do about a clean case. I use a vibrating cleaner with walnut media as the last step in my case prep. It seems to do a good job getting any remaining unwanted residue off the cases.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I haven't tumbled brass ever. It's a waste of time.

Travis

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I use both a tumbler and shaker. Tumbler to get them clean, then put them in a shaker (OLD Midway one) to polish them so they look factory new. Might not need them that way, but like them that way, and the tumbler gets the dirt off so they don't scratch my dies. A friend of mine puts theirs in a thumblers tumbler, with hot water, and uses soap as a case lube, so the cases actually "washed". After washing, changes the water twice to get the soap out/off, then dries them in the sun (he lives in Arizona). This guy a top competitive shooter, and loads 12-15,000 rounds at a time. Washing them, doesn't leave any media in any place, and cleans the primer pocket too.

Ghost
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 219DW, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,112
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.