Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I already have 2...but they are not what I am really wanting.

I really, really like the .338 Win Mag. I have not killed a ton of stuff with it, but it's my favorite cartridge for some reason.

I would like a .338 up and ready as my Go To rifle any day of the year for any quarry. I have almost a half ton of other rifles and some specialty rifles. A few short barreled "brush guns", a Classic 30-06 and some other semi custom rifles.

I want a 26" tubed lefty .338 Win Mag. I won't waver, I just do.

My question is: rebarrel a factory LH Winchester 70 Classic that is already a .338

OR:
Wait for MRC to release their factory rifle in LH 338?

The current Winchester 70 LH 338 was hard to find. It's flawless and feels sooo good. And it has a 26" tube. It's blued/wood, which isn't a deal breaker.

I had a Limbsaver installed and fitted very nicely. I started with factory bedding and barrel pressure. Then bedded the action with pressure. Recently removed all barrel contact with forearm. Only shot one group with it, but it's just not quite as I'd like. Close to MOA. But I want to launch some high BC Accubonds at more than 200 yards with the intened rifle. Not sure if re-crowning would do anything or what other tricks I could do to tune it in further. Can rebarrel for $500 or more I guess.

The MRC-I have 2 rifles/actions from them. I know they've been suspect on many issues prior. They even kinda got schitty with me when the charter actions FINALLY showed up 2 years after intended delivery.

My second, a CZ 3 made by MRC, went back for a new barrel, squaring and eventually got a some lug contact when the bolt was engaged.

But in speaking with Jeff recently, he assured me his was a whole new outfit/operation and their rifles are nothing like what rolled off the floor in '04.

Theirs is only a 24" tube, which is close to a deal breaker. But it's to be offered in stainless and with a B&C Medalist stock I believe.

Money IS an object. Is there a true, clear-cut direction I should focus my efforts?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd tweak the load you have for the current winny a bit. Shooting one group and rebarreling seems foolish. Most 338 worthy targets are not varmint sized so a 1.25 or so group probably wouldn't concern me much anyway.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Jesse James,

I ordered MR actions back in the day, and sold them all after they arrived. Remember they were designed and manufactured as a component to be sold to custom gunsmiths.

My wife is a lefty, so I understand full well what you are facing.

I would go get a Ruger No. 1 in .338 WM, which comes with a 26" barrel and use that until your perfect rifle finally arrives. You might find that you don't need it after all. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm lost, you have a lh classic in.338,yes?

You shot one group with it,Close to MOA,

Where's the issue?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree on load develoment and tuning of the existing rifle. Have you glass beddded the action and recoil lug yet? MAde sure the barrel free floats as it should? If it were mine I would (after bedding) 1) Firelap the hail out of it 2) have the barrel set back and re-crowned then 3) have it re-chambered to 340 WBY or 338/8mm RemMag aka 340 Tyrannosaur (have one, its my favorite all around go to kill soomething NOW rifle). 225gr TTSX bullets at 3100fps will kill, right now, near or far. You could also do just 1) and 2) with just a 338WM chamber going in at the end and be quite well off if 338 WinMag is still the eventual goal. If you REALLY want a new barrel, send the whole rifle to PacNor and have them true up and blueprint the action, then correctly install one of thier barrels. For about $600 +/- you would be all set. Still would go a slightly longer version of fast 33, though. Speed kills..... speed is GOOD....... smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't imagine that you are too upset or excited about a rifle you have only shot one group with at this point. If you are sincerely looking for a primary hunting rifle then buy some ammo and shoot your present 26" barreled 338 WM a little more before you buy another one. If you don't plan on shooting more than one group with the rifle to see if it's accurate enough for your likings then you could be in for more than "one" more rifle in this process...

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Guess I lost most of you along the way:

I have shot A LOT of groups with it. I was never impressed with any of them. I have run 210 TSX, 210 TTSX, 225 Accubond, 225 Hornadys and 250 Hornadys. The Accubonds REALLY sucked, which was the bullet I most wanted to shoot well.

And I stated above that I have already tweaked the Winchester 70 338 (Yes, I already own one). I started with factory specs and shot for accuracy...multiple groups. All sucked. Then I bedded the action. Still sucked. Then I made sure the barrel was totally free floated. Still not impressed.

The MRC production rifle is "supposed" to be a fully up and running rifle with a full finished action. Not the rough cast actions we recieved in '04.

And the issue is that this is not intended to be a Weekend Warrior rifle for some Dude from PA to pull out of the closet for a 98 yard shot and be satified with the accuracy.

Here in eastern WA, and with additional hunts to neighboring Idaho and Montana, shots can be at the Boot Laces all the way out to as far as one can see. I do not care to be limited by sub-par rifle accuracy.

A 4" group off a sand bag at 200 yards translated to about 6" with a decent field rest short of a bipod and rear bag. At 300 yards things are getting pretty dicey without wind and other BS. Not what I am hoping for.

Last edited by Jesse Jaymes; 09/20/11.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotcha. My advice still stands but for a fast and SURE way to get there, send the whole thing to PacNor and it will come back to you sopt on or they will RE-do it, again, no questions asked and for free. It is a good thing that the Accubombs did not shoot well, someone was looking out for ya! What you want to have shoot well are the 225gr TTSX's. Best accuracy with TTSX's is oft achieved seating them rather deeply in the case with a fair amount of freebore or jump to the lands and grooves. Don''t know why that is, it just is. Good luck, in a big way and do consider going on up a notch to the 340ROY or Tyrannosaur. I can help you with load data for the Tyrannosaur (my) version. It be FAST and FURIOUS!

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PS would love to share a hunt with you someday. I am in Walla Walla. Been going west to hunt Elk but now am conidering hunting this side of the state. Have no place to put another Elk mount anyway so why go hunt a big bulls only unit, methinks.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=Jesse Jaymes]Guess I lost most of you along the way:

I have shot A LOT of groups with it. I was never impressed with any of them. I have run 210 TSX, 210 TTSX, 225 Accubond, 225 Hornadys and 250 Hornadys. The Accubonds REALLY sucked, which was the bullet I most wanted to shoot well.

And I stated above that I have already tweaked the Winchester 70 338 (Yes, I already own one). I started with factory specs and shot for accuracy...multiple groups. All sucked. Then I bedded the action. Still sucked. Then I made sure the barrel was totally free floated. Still not impressed.

I hate to say it, but maybe the rifle is not at fault...........

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Re-barrel what you've got. The MRC rifle will be a crap shoot also and you'll likely be starting from the same spot with it. Pac-Nor is decent but in my opinion there are better ways to go about it.

PM sent

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Go with the Winny. Been there done that with MRC. Forget the rough finish stuff as I believe they have corrected that, but expect problems with the safety, and the action timming. heavy too.

just don,t like them.

lefty C

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Have not missed or lost an animal in the last 9 years. Have several over 450 yards....maybe it is. C'mon guy. Really?

Safari-

Already have 300 Ultra and 375 Ultra. Sometimes there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Still think the 338 Win Mag the perfect choice FOR ME and my wants and desires. Not too much recoil for me. The others are not braked and do recoil very fast. I need major focus to shoot them.

Last edited by Jesse Jaymes; 09/21/11.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most left handed people are falling over themselves to get a LH classic, I have a couple myself so I know what you have there.

Give the rifle to REDNECK, here on the fire, or do Pac-nor or Hill country rifles and turn that bad boy into a MOA stud.

It can be done, just takes money....

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This is what you want, Model 70 Classic in 338, came with a nice walnut stock that got switched out to a McMillen. Bedded it along with alum pillars, with my hand loads it's moa at 250 yds.(longest range around here). I'm taking to Montana this fall over someother rifles I have. Good luck on your search.
PS: I also have a LH MRC in 358, excellent rifle, very accurate. YOu can't go wrong there either as far as I'm concerned.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After how desirable the original LH .338 Win Mags are I'm ducking for cover after I post this.

LH M70 .338 Win Mag (original barrel). McMillan Supergrade stock. Williams Extractor and Floorplate. Cerakoted by Eddie. I cut the barrel to 24", velocity loss was minimal.

It's NOT the most accurate rifle out there, but it is consistent.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Guess I lost most of you along the way:

I didn't get lost; rather you misled us. You said you made some modifications, shot one group that sucked and now want to move on. Move on if you want, buy the MRC if you want, continue to sing your praises (several kills over 450 yards) if you want, but I get the feeling you have not the first clue what you really want nor could you find the road to get you there. A shooter that wants/needs an accurate rifle knows how to get one. Your posts are suspect of being pure BS.

The answer to your question is very, very simple. If you really want to know what to do, take your model 70 and have it rebarreled (select a barrel to your specs 26" 338 WM) by a reputable smith/barrel maker which will set you back $400-600 total. If accuracy and performance are really your desire, order a McMillan from Rick. Then have the new barreled action bedded in the Mickey and the rifle's accuracy will not be a question. You can do all of this for around $1000. That's the most certain way to get what you want--have it built your way.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes

A 4" group off a sand bag at 200 yards translated to about 6" with a decent field rest short of a bipod and rear bag. Not what I am hoping for.
A true understatement.. WOW. 4" @ 200? Phew..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
You got me. Since I don't live in Alaska I probably cannot shoot and I never hunt.

Nice rifles boys

The re-barrel probably the quickest, cheapest, and surest. Thanks for pointing the way to the road.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Give the rifle to REDNECK, here on the fire, or do Pac-nor or Hill country rifles and turn that bad boy into a MOA stud.

This right here. I'd send it to a good M70 smith, not just any gunsmith, one who knows M70s well. Do it up right, IMO.

Infact, I have a LH M70 338WM on the way right now. It will go to one of our M70 guys up here and get turned into something else...:)

Good luck, JJ.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

709 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 78 invisible), 3,090 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.