Hop To
Page 44 of 71 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 70 71
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I guess I was pretty close on my guess huh?? grin. Who said it was a '52 or later?

Somebody who spotted the drilled bolt handle, but missed the plastic butt plate.

So educate me, I have a '53 270 with a solid bolt handle.

According to Rule (paperback edition, page 140) Winchester began drilling a hole in the bolt handle for the Featherweights in 1952, and "It was soon adapted to all Model 70 styles, but was one of the slower modifications to be implemented, and actually did not occur on many early Featherweights."

So, if you have a drilled bolt handle, it pretty much means a '52 or later. But, a post '52 will not necessarily have a drilled handle. Thus, it is no surprise that your '53 .270 does not, but if it did, that wouldn't be a surprise either. I have an early '54 .270 that does happen to have a drilled handle.

What really surprises me, considering how little weight it removes, is that they went to the trouble!

Composition butt plate (which I mentioned) and rounded bolt sleeve (as BSA noted, but I missed) came along in '59.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 02/24/15.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Top one is a '61 Westerner, .264 WM, Middle is a '53 Standard in .270 and the bottom is a '37 Standard in 30 govt 06.
Sorry for the crappy pics.
All 3 are in remarkably good condition, considering I hunt with all of them.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Top one is a '61 Westerner, .264 WM, Middle is a '53 Standard in .270 and the bottom is a '37 Standard in 30 govt 06.
Sorry for the crappy pics.
All 3 are in remarkably good condition, considering I hunt with all of them.

I love the bottom rifle, but all of them are very nice! I've heard that type of safety is harder to manipulate with a scope mounted. How do you feel about it? I've often considered getting a pre war because I shoot left handed and thought that safety would be the catz azz for a lefty. Any of you guys have thoughts on this? Thanks..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
That was me who said 52 or later, as in 52 or later production. Or made after 52. However one interprets it.

Based on the drilled bolt handle, correct?

Yep took a quick glance at the pic that day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I love the bottom rifle, but all of them are very nice! I've heard that type of safety is harder to manipulate with a scope mounted. How do you feel about it? I've often considered getting a pre war because I shoot left handed and thought that safety would be the catz azz for a lefty. Any of you guys have thoughts on this? Thanks..

I don't typically use a safety, but I seem to be able to manipulate it just fine. Doesn't seem to be an inconvenience to me.
Glad you enjoyed them.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Very nice trio, the wood on the older gun is killer!very best winpoor

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That is a great looking group there, mcmurphjrk!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
mcmurphjrk,
Upon further inspection of your pics when I had time, I believe your '61 Westerner may be the sister ship to mine, rubber butt pad and all. Enjoy!

Just curious, what are the first 3 digits of your serial#, if you don't mind me asking. If I remember correctly, mine are 539xxx.

Best Wishes,
LD

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by local_dirt
mcmurphjrk,
Upon further inspection of your pics when I had time, I believe your '61 Westerner may be the sister ship to mine, rubber butt pad and all. Enjoy!

Just curious, what are the first 3 digits of your serial#, if you don't mind me asking. If I remember correctly, mine are 539xxx.

Best Wishes,
LD

541***

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup. That's what I thought. Thanks for the reply.

Best Wishes,
LD

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Got this one today.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome!!! Let us know how she shoots. Thanks. What are your plans for the rifle? Any African or Alaskan hunts on the horizon??

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Will do BSA. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice score, I really like it!

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ken, what kind of loads are you going to run in the ol girl??? If it's not glass bedded really well, that would be the first thing I'd do to it, plus freefloat the barrel. Extremely nice rifle. Got me drooling. I think Dirtfarmer has one like it and maybe tdn as well??? If it were me, I'd leave it in that Tupperware and hunt it like that.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Looking to use a 270 gr bullet either a Swift A-Frame,North Fork or a 260 gr Nosler Partition. Going to shoot it first,then see if it needs bedding or free-floating. In all honesty,how much accuracy does one need for the game a .375 H&H is used on. ;

Had one of these about 18-20 years ago and traded it off,regretted doing that ever since.

I WILL leave it as is. smile

As far as plans for it,depending on what happens,MAYBE Africa.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 02/28/15.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Looking to use a 270 gr bullet either a Swift A-Frame,North Fork or a 260 gr Nosler Partition. Going to shoot it first,then see if it needs bedding or free-floating. In all honesty,how much accuracy does one need for the game a .375 H&H is used on. ;

Had one of these about 18-20 years ago and traded it off,regretted doing that ever since.

I WILL leave it as is. smile

As far as plans for it,depending on what happens,MAYBE Africa.

To answer your question: I want all the damn accuracy I can get out of a 375 H&H, especially if I'm hunting "dangerous" game. That's probably just me though.. eek Also as far as bedding your rifle. It's kind of a must with those classics, especially heavy kickers. You got to remember the hot glue bedding of the day wasn't always the best:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's your rifle though my friend and I'm not trying to criticize, just hoping to help a little..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I missed one like this a few years ago, still kicking myself. Someone mentioned Cabelas has Remington 300 gr swift a-frame ammo on sale for $49. right now.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Southwind, that's actually a steal at that price when you consider the cost of components. I might just have to use my cabela's gift card I got for Christmas!!! grin. Although, I probably have enough components to choke a horse right now laugh. I might just say fu ck it and drive to Cabela's today.... whistle

Remington 375 H&H 300gr. swift A-frames

BSA MAGA
Page 44 of 71 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 70 71

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

596 members (06hunter59, 22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,281
Posts18,448,539
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.