24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having actually handled & shot a Model 11, I would suggest reserving judgment until you've held one in your hands.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Having actually handled & shot a Model 11, I would suggest reserving judgment until you've held one in your hands.

Well, if you have actually handled and shot one of them, how in the hell does it operate?

It is obviously a break open single shot, but..

What opens it?

Does it have a hammer?

Safety?

How does the forend release?

Not a thing in any of Luxus' sales pitches mentions that.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It opens via the trigger guard lever (like a contenter) the hammer is on the right side. No manual safety. Forend is removed via a single floating screw.

The trigger is excellent and accuracy was quite good for a 6 pound rifle. I checked my zero in the headlights at 2 am & put two 130gr SPs in the same hole.

The rifle is TINY which you really have to see to appreciate.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
It opens via the trigger guard lever (like a contenter) the hammer is on the right side. No manual safety. Forend is removed via a single floating screw.

The trigger is excellent and accuracy was quite good for a 6 pound rifle. I checked my zero in the headlights at 2 am & put two 130gr SPs in the same hole.

Now it is a 6 lb. rifle?
How does it lock up?

Least you may think that I am down on this rifle, I am not..
But at the same time I not interested in buying a rifle where at least 2/3's of the price is in the wood..
The appearance of the action doesn't warrant $2300.00 wood to my eye..
I hope Luxus does well with this rifle but like I said in the other thread here on the model 11 they are going to have to come up with a version priced no more than the Ruger #1 if they want to succeed in today's tough market over the long term IMO..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The one that I tested was just over 6 pounds.

My entire review will be published in the near future, I'll reserve further comments until then and reference the article. My obligation is to my publisher/editor so the integrity of the article comes first.

I will say this, I rarely purchase test rifles and I'm buying a Model 11.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Nrut

Now it is a 6 lb. rifle?
How does it lock up?

Least you may think that I am down on this rifle, I am not..
But at the same time I not interested in buying a rifle where at least 2/3's of the price is in the wood..
The appearance of the action doesn't warrant $2300.00 wood to my eye..
I hope Luxus does well with this rifle but like I said in the other thread here on the model 11 they are going to have to come up with a version priced no more than the Ruger #1 if they want to succeed in today's tough market over the long term IMO..

I doubt they will EVER make a rifle priced lower than 2k.

Here is why-

Looking at their price list, an EXTRA BARREL ALONE costs $1,250 !

The barrels are the same no matter WHAT kind of wood is put on the gun.

I doubt they will ever make a lower grade rifle at twice that price even with a plain stock.

Last edited by jim62; 09/20/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Jim,
I just went to their website and see that they have upped the price of their additional barrels to $595.00 from what is stated in the post below..
The additional barrel price of $1200.00 you refer to includes a forearm hanger and forearm made from their top grade wood no doubt to match their butt stock..

From here:
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9421043/m/3091038351/p/2

AFreeman
one of us
Posted 04 June 2011 17:21 Hide Post
Fetishfrog, thanks for the compliment.

For the time being additional barrels are $425.

We brought the barrels assembly/production in-house. We are outsourcing match grade barrel blanks and building the lump and hinge system to our desired accuracy/tolerances, which are exceptionally tight, at our facility.

Adam

http://www.luxusarms.com

http://www.luxuswalnut.com

---------------------------------------------

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jim,
I just went to their website and see that they have upped the price of their additional barrels to $595.00 from what is stated in the post below..
The additional barrel price of $1200.00 you refer to includes a forearm hanger and forearm made from their top grade wood no doubt to match their butt stock..

From here:

AFreeman
one of us
Posted 04 June 2011 17:21 Hide Post
Fetishfrog, thanks for the compliment.

For the time being additional barrels are $425.

We brought the barrels assembly/production in-house. We are outsourcing match grade barrel blanks and building the lump and hinge system to our desired accuracy/tolerances, which are exceptionally tight, at our facility.

Adam

http://www.luxusarms.com

http://www.luxuswalnut.com

---------------------------------------------

OK.. my bad..

But still- at $1,250 with the forend included, the complete rifle would need the action and buttstock.

I still don't see them ever making one of those rifles for less than $2,500

To all gunmaker critics-
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

My entire review will be published in the near future, I'll reserve further comments until then and reference the article. My obligation is to my publisher/editor so the integrity of the article comes first.

Thanks for your reply..
Can you tell us which periodical your article is going to be in and what issue it will be in?
I am looking forward to reading you review..
Thanks!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Jim,
I was basing my post on the information the Gun toter posted in his thread here..
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9421043/m/5441036051/p/1

Gun toter was the first to spill the beans on this rifle..
He seems to have missed the mark by a mile on pricing and the actual type of rifle the Luxus model 11 is, comparing a break-open rifle to two very nice looking falling blocks..
But then maybe he was just repeating the information he was given..
Who knows as there was lots of confusion at first!.. crazy
Now that every thing is coming out in the wash I can't get to excited about this rifle until they come out with the lower grade model priced accordingly....

This is a quote from AFreeman on his Model 11 thread (june 28 post)..
quote:
As to the gun that will sell below $1,000, it is likely in the future, but first things first, we must remain flexible and adaptable to continue to grow as a company and to continue to stay profitable so that we can grow. That means to continue to build these first guns.

I have to admit I really got horned up over Gun toters description of the model 11 in his thread above and I was ready to order!
I am easy when it comes to falling blocks... blush

Last edited by Nrut; 09/20/11.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks for your reply..
Can you tell us which periodical your article is going to be in and what issue it will be in?
I am looking forward to reading you review..
Thanks!

It will be in one of the NRA publications, likely before the end of the year. I'll post an update when I have specifics

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Falling block? I thought this rifle was break open action. Looking at the information on the Luxus website, it looks like there is a hinge pin similar to T/C Contender/Encore.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by rj308
Falling block? I thought this rifle was break open action. Looking at the information on the Luxus website, it looks like there is a hinge pin similar to T/C Contender/Encore.

It is a break-open..

Last edited by Nrut; 09/20/11.

B
B
I too have ordered a luxus rifle. a few weeks ago I called Clay about ordering a rifle. I live just a couple of hours away from Luxus, so Clay insisted that I stop by so he could show me the facility and handle the rifles.
The rifles were very sweet and light weight. However i prefer a little heavier rifle. The rifles will be available in three different barrel weights. The light one pictured on the web site, a medium weight, (simular to a Ruger 1-B)and a heavy barrel for large calibers. I chose the medium weight.
I was also able to pick my own wood. They had several stocks already turned and pallets of blanks waiting to be turned. The one I picked is simply stunning! They were all nice but i choose the pick of the litter! haha
The reciever, I chose to have it Color case hardened. Doug Turnbull does the CC hardening for them. This rifle will be a memorial to my daughter who was killed in a automobile accident in June. The reciever will be engraved with my daughter's name on one side and her dates on the other.
I was also able to choose the serial number. I am expecting to recieve it sometime around Christmas.
As for it being a ugly rifle, i guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can tell you this rifle is Beautiful in person.
Oh, and as far as Luxus not responding to calls, i have gotten a answer everytime i called or e-mailed. Always withen 24 hours. I meet Clay and Tony while i was there, but never got to meet Adam. Clay and Tony were very friendly and answered all my guestions.

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bogusmcall
I too have ordered a luxus rifle. a few weeks ago I called Clay about ordering a rifle. I live just a couple of hours away from Luxus, so Clay insisted that I stop by so he could show me the facility and handle the rifles.
The rifles were very sweet and light weight. However i prefer a little heavier rifle. The rifles will be available in three different barrel weights. The light one pictured on the web site, a medium weight, (simular to a Ruger 1-B)and a heavy barrel for large calibers. I chose the medium weight.
I was also able to pick my own wood. They had several stocks already turned and pallets of blanks waiting to be turned. The one I picked is simply stunning! They were all nice but i choose the pick of the litter! haha
The reciever, I chose to have it Color case hardened. Doug Turnbull does the CC hardening for them. This rifle will be a memorial to my daughter who was killed in a automobile accident in June. The reciever will be engraved with my daughter's name on one side and her dates on the other.
I was also able to choose the serial number. I am expecting to recieve it sometime around Christmas.
As for it being a ugly rifle, i guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can tell you this rifle is Beautiful in person.
Oh, and as far as Luxus not responding to calls, i have gotten a answer everytime i called or e-mailed. Always withen 24 hours. I meet Clay and Tony while i was there, but never got to meet Adam. Clay and Tony were very friendly and answered all my guestions.

Interesting handle.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.