-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doesn't Glock advise against shooting non-jacketed bullets?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Doesn't Glock advise against shooting non-jacketed bullets?

I don't know, but the DT 200gr HC FN bullets are gas checked, and give me no problems in my stock G20. I know others have reported the same.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw a video of Ted Nugent braining a Cape Buff with his 10mm Glock.

It was a multiple shot deal on a previously arrow wounded bull but it sure enough dumped the bull. He shot it 3 or 4 times in about 1 � seconds.

If you are more comfortable with your Glock that would be my choice.

I regularly carry a 45 ACP with a flat nose hard cast 230gr at 900fps in grizzly country. I have killed about a dozen steers for slaughter with that load and it will penetrate the skull with no problem. Bear skulls are thinner.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The trick is getting the grizzly to stand there like a steer for the brain shot...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If a steer is the measure of effectiveness, just carry a .22 rifle.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
If a steer is the measure of effectiveness, just carry a .22 rifle.

Not so handy. laugh

A steer head is actually a pretty good measure and contrary to urban legend the 22 LR out of a pistol is not reliable on unconfined steers on a one shot basis.

The hard cast 230gr bullet would reliably penetrate the skull completely and be in the neck.

Pretty much going to have to hit the CNS at some point if you want to stop a bear attack with a pistol as apposed to simply killing a bear at some point in time. Point is the 10mm with a good hard cast bullet will do as well as about anything and be quicker with follow up shots than something silly like the S&W .460.

Of course having killed a few critters with a handgun and hardcast bullets one learns of the effectiveness of such things.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

A steer head is actually a pretty good measure and contrary to urban legend the 22 LR out of a pistol is not reliable on unconfined steers on a one shot basis.

It's not even reliable on unconfined hogs. That's why I stated rifle.

Nice critters John. Is that your 10mm in the pictures? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No that is a 45-70 (.454 Casull running 350gr WLN at 1600fps) that fits in a holster.

My point is that I would prefer a good 45 ACP (or 10MM) and load over that revolver if you were going to stick me in a room (or tent) with a pissed off grizzly because until the brain pan is punched the bear is going to still chew on my sorry ass and more shots per second will aid in getting that brain shot.

On a side note I do appreciate you not ridiculing our �Midget Moose� and �Toy Bears� down here in Wyoming. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Glock SF 10mm with the 6" Lone Wolf barrel & I'd like some advice on the best all around factory load for big game as well as bear medicine.

Thanks,
Jeff

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
No that is a 45-70 (.454 Casull running 350gr WLN at 1600fps) that fits in a holster.

My point is that I would prefer a good 45 ACP (or 10MM) and load over that revolver if you were going to stick me in a room (or tent) with a pissed off grizzly because until the brain pan is punched the bear is going to still chew on my sorry ass and more shots per second will aid in getting that brain shot. ...

Ditto. I carried my .454 when I was HUNTING in Alaska, but I probably would have rather had my G20 with 200gr HCs for a self-defense situation. It's counterintuitive, but until someone can give me an actual real-world scenario where shots from a good handgun load in 10mm, .45 ACP, .41 RM, etc ... has actually caused a bear to become a more aggressive and effective killer, I will continue to avoid the commonly-held theory that they actually do so. Arguably, you're going to be more likely to get a good brain shot with one. But also, I still have not heard of one single actual real story where a bear shot with any handgun accelerated toward the shooter after being hit in the brain, chest, butt, or just the muzzle blast of a 10mm, .45 ACP, .41 RM, etc. If it's happened, it's happened, but I've never heard of such a real incident. I've only heard of the idea that you've got to break down a bear's CNS in one shot or you're dead, and shooting at a charging bear with anything less than a .500 JRH will get you kilt. In recent times, I've come to question that home-spun wisdom for lack of a single substantiating example, much less any significant number of examples.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Talked to a Montana Fish and Game officer who works in an area with a lot of grizzlies. I asked what sidearm he carried and it was a Glock 10mm - FWIW...

Johnny $

A game warden works out at the gym when I do and I spoke about this the other day. Thinking he said most of his guys/galz carry 40's day in and day out. But...when it came time to sort out a bruin out came the shotgun and the 06.

Dober

Dober,
Didn't you try to talk him into 7 Mashburn?? Yeah, for anykind of bear I would go to a rifle and for grizzly I would go to the 20mm mentioned earlier in the thread...no such thing as over-kill!

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
not sure how realistic this is but interesting anyway. guns are a 5.5 S&W 460V and Glock 29 10mm

1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ETHPYuuPms

2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZicahVgn0UA

3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDEy3RJdjhs

Last edited by trader388; 09/29/11.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by trader388
Going to Alaska fishing. I'm not sure where yet but it's a free tag a long type deal ...so no complaints! Anywho I was figuring I'd bring my Glock 20mm and load it up with Buffalo bore 220gr hard cast in case I ran into a bear problem.

I usually shoot 200gr bullets from this and it's my favorite handgun. I shoot it all the time and very good with it. So I figure moving to the 220s isn't a stretch.

Other posibilities - include: buddy has a S&W 460v 5" which I've shot and can do so so with it but I really need to work at it to get the bullets to go where I want them and it isn't fast. (that's shooting 395 corbons HC)

Then a 454 casull 2.5" taurus - about the same as the 460v in terms of accuracy and quickness etc.

Next option I was looking at was a 44mag ruger alaskan loaded up with some corbon 300s or 340s?

I feel the best with the G20 as I can put em where they need to go and fast. But is it enough for a nice size grizz charge?

CNS being required but not always attainable maybe better to miss a little and use the 44 over the G20? Thanks in advance

I like Glocks and the 10mm G20 for a S-A 'bear gun. But change out that barrel for a fully-supported [chamber] one!!

I had a kaboom with a G23 this past July, using factory ammo. Yeah that sorta thing gets a fellow's attention! Wish i had swapped out the stock-Glock barrel before I learned how bad a fully-un-supported barrel can be.

Bar-Sto barrels are @$200, and a good add-on in my opinion. With one of those installed that Buffalo Bore ammo shouldn't be unsafe - I would think. If/or when I get my G20 10mm, thats what I will do besides installing Ashley Express sights, is also install a Bar-Sto barrel! wink

Hope you catch lots of salmon and halibut in AK. grin

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
if i go with the glock I'd use an extended barrel with 2 ports.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=944&CAT=236

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
ADDED: I agree a long gun is the best weapon to deal with any bruin, but esp a GRIZZLY even in the contiguous 48 states.

For the lower-48 I'd likely chose a Nosler PARTITION 180 or 200 grainer in the .308Win and .30/06 respectively; or a 160 in the .280Rem or 300 grainer in a .45/70. All cartridges that I shoot.

However if I found myself headed to the 49th state, preferably a carbine length .45/70 Marlin Guide Gun or 20inch .375 H&H bolt-gun would be my picks around fishing holes and brownies.

In twelve gauge ammo, I already have the two most powerful loads available for ANY bears [via a camp gun] Winchester Partition Gold's and Remington 1 3/8oz Buckhammer's - both in 3 inch! Both loads generate 3400+ FPE and 3200+ FPE, respectively, and are more powerful than an '06. Each of those rounds either makes a .50 or .72 caliber hole going in. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last nine days of my float bear hunt last September (after I got my bear and was in constant celebration mode with some fishing and unsuccessful wolf hunting mixed in), I was REALLY, REALLY glad I brought a pistol, so I didn't have to lug my rifle (or a shotgun) around every second or worry about perhaps needing to use it in the tent:

[Linked Image]

Much more comfortable than a rifle or shotgun, and the 360gr HC bullet moving at 1,500 fps would be more than necessary IMO. I would have felt fine with my 10mm.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That's a mighty-fine looking grayling!!

Good fer yoo!! grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks. We were in a place that no one ever goes to except for my guide and his hunters--far away from everything and accessible only by a float plane coming in, and you have to get 48 miles down stream to get picked up (input lake is too small to take off with a load). So, we were fishing fish that likely never had been fished before. It was sooo easy, it almost got boring for me after a while--catching one good fish for about every third cast (when they were jumping).

Good for breakfast:

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I caught some decent Grayling in the Chena near Fairbanks and some really nice ones in the Talkeetnas but I never saw one that big. I always heard Iliamna had some huge ones.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
MarineHawk,

A few years ago a couple of bowhunters after elk here in Montana ran into a sow grizzly with cubs that acted aggressive. One of the guys had a .45 ACP and started shooting, hitting the bear somewhere. She charged and got him down, and was tearing the hell out of him when his companion chased the bear away with pepper spray. Luckily the first guy lived.

Example of one, but you were asking about real-life examples of bears becoming more aggressive after being shot with handguns.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (808outdoors, 2500HD, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, BALLISTIK, 6 invisible), 1,181 guests, and 738 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,122
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.