24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I remember reading a thred on grape jelly meatloaf.

Going to try it, but can't find the recipe.

Anyone help?

Thanks! Virgil B.

GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
google came up with this

http://mgwhite.hubpages.com/hub/Sweet-Meatloaf-Recipe

Sweet Meatloaf Recipe

By mgwhite

Have you ever thought about using grape jelly in your meatloaf recipe? Now that I have your attention, I'll admit that this seems to be a rather odd question. Somehow, grape jelly and ground beef just don't seem to go hand in hnad. However, I'll bet you've actually eaten meatballs covered in grape jelly, with or without being aware you were doing so.

I was surprised several years ago when helping a friend get ready for a party to learn that her secret recipe for crock pot meatballs was nothing more than a bag of store bought meatballs covered in the seemingly bizarre combination of chili sauce and grape jelly. It's a good thing I already knew that her meatball recipe was a winner; otherwise I never would have given this dish a chance.

So, once I realized that chili sauce and grape jelly makes the perfect topping for store bought meatballs, I started wondering what it could do for a homemade meatloaf. I think the resulting recipe is a winner, but you'll just have to try if for yourself to see if you agree!

Sweet Meatloaf Recipe with Sweet Mystery Sauce

Ingredients for Meatloaf:

1 1/2 pounds of ground round or ground sirloin
2 eggs
1 cup of bread crumbs (I use Progresso Italian crumbs)
3 tablespoons of minced onion
2 tablespoons of dried chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Meatloaf Directions

Place all of the meatball ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Place the mixture into a meatloaf pan, or pat it into the shape of a meatloaf in a larger baking dish.

Ingredients for Sweet Mystery Sauce

1 jar of chili sauce
1 jar of grape jelly
1/4 cup of catsup

Sweet Mystery Sauce Directions

Combine the chili sauce, grape jelly, and catsup in a medium bowl, stirring until well blended. Pour on top of the prepared meatloaf.

Cooking Instructions

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Bake the meatloaf for one hour and ten minutes. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes before cutting.

Should it Remain a Mystery?

It's up to you if you want to share the secret ingredient for your mystery sauce with your family or dinner guests. The more adventurous diners in the group will likely find it to be very entertaining. Those who tend to prefer traditional condiments might not be so happy, unless they've already tasted the dish before you reveal that you've discovered a new use for grape jelly at the dinner table.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Virgil--I have a friend who cooks meat balls, hot dogs ,steak all in grape jelly. I have no reciepies.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and this http://recipesherpa.com/meat_loaf_recipes/meat_loaf_recipes.html

posted by Recipe Sherpa | 8:43 AM | 0 comments
The Best Meat Loaf Recipe

1-1/4 pounds of ground beef (use pork or veal as an alternative)
6-8 slices Multi Grain Bread (Slightly stale)
1 egg
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon mixed italian herbs and spices (e.g., dried oregano, basil, coriander)
seasoning salt
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne
6 ounce can V8 Juice
4 Tablespoons Grape Jelly

Best Meat Loaf Recipe Directions
Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix the beef onions and egg in a large bowl. Crumble the bread into little parts and place in the bowl with the cayenne and salt and mix thoroughly. Place the mixture in an oven pan and place in the oven for 30 minutes. Mix the V8 and grape jelly and spread on top and place it back in the oven until the top is browned and the meat is cooked (about 20 minutes.) Let sit for 5 minutes then serve the best meat loaf.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Made my meatloaf.

Just topped it with grape jelly...Turned out GREAT!

Thanks for the recipes!

Got more ideas for next time.

I used 1 cup of oatmeal instead of Italian bredcrums, will try them next time!

Virgil B.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Leftovers....

Meatloaf Sammiches,slather one piece of bread of the sammich with Grape jelly....

Hint.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ingwe,

Had "cosco" leftover meatloaf sammitches tonight, slathered one side with grap jelly.

You da MAN!! GREAT sammitch! one of the best I've ever had!

Thanks for sharing! Virgil B.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
laugh

Doesn't sound good...but it is!!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I may have to try this... I am a big fan of meatloaf but with Jelly, really??? Is this a practical joke just to see how many ppl try it? smile smile

Andrew
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lovemy99
I may have to try this... I am a big fan of meatloaf but with Jelly, really??? Is this a practical joke just to see how many ppl try it? smile smile

It does have the feel of a practical joke thread... "Let's see if we can get some guys to put grape jelly on meatloaf!"

You know, like "Let's see if we can get some guys to shave their junk and eat a can of frozen orange juice"

Given that ingwe is involved, one must be very careful...

The hair on my junk took a while to grow back after the disastrous shaving episode which that bastid northern_dave conned me into... wink

John

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have thought about this, and just can't justify adding jelly to meatloaf. Sorry. smile

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Honest injun!!

It REALLY is GOOD!

Just try it on leftover meatloaf....One time, you'll be hooked!

Virgil B.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
479 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.