-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Meesa thinks you mis-understood my post.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Meesa thinks you mis-understood my post.

Sorry man. Never the less, when you get here give me a call and we will have pie and coffee instead.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mtn-hunter
Intresting comments.
Elk is a deer just like all the other deer species of the world it's the size of the animal, projectile and caliber relationship that counts. An 150gr ttsx won't do [bleep] all at 600yd unless hit in the head or neck. You will wound the animal and it will run away to die a miserable death.
Love to see any pics of an elk being hit with that projy and wouldn't it be nice to see the autopsy of said Elk as well, some real study of bullet performance, but hey if your google search skills are any good you may just come across something.

I guess the bull elk I killed with a lung shot from a 270 Win, 130 TSX at 545 yards didn't get the memo about "running away to die a miserable death". Unless you count the 50 yards he jogged before keeling over a tough tracking job. Maybe if he was another 65 yards further away the results would have been different? Maybe if I'd been using a 30-06 with 150 TTSX he'd of only been wounded? Nah... he'd still be dead. smirk

M
M
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Intresting comments.
Elk is a deer just like all the other deer species of the world it's the size of the animal, projectile and caliber relationship that counts. An 150gr ttsx won't do [bleep] all at 600yd unless hit in the head or neck. You will wound the animal and it will run away to die a miserable death.
Love to see any pics of an elk being hit with that projy and wouldn't it be nice to see the autopsy of said Elk as well, some real study of bullet performance but hey if your google search skills are any good you may just come across something.

I guess the bull elk I killed with a lung shot from a 270 Win, 130 TSX at 545 yards didn't get the memo about "running away to die a miserable death". Unless you count the 50 yards he jogged before keeling over a tough tracking job. Maybe if he was another 65 yards further away the results would have been different? Maybe if I'd been using a 30-06 with 150 TTSX he'd of only been wounded? Nah... he'd still be dead. smirk

Pall I've got nothing to prove and I don't really care what you belive or do, but if want to attack me (for offering SOUND ADVICE and thats ALL it is, it dosn't mean it's my way or the highway it's simply SOUND ADVICE) then what'd you expect, I could go to town on your post, I could probably go back through your 487 posts and pic the sh*t out of you!!!!!!!! but what for, I've got no intrest in belittling or attacking you for your advice.
After re-reading my post it dose sound opinionated and I should have wrote "I've never shot an Elk, but I dont think that" instead.......But it's still sound advice.

This is not meant to be provoking, purely research, do you have any pics of your elk you shot in it�s gutted state or how that that 130gr pill performed on the vitals?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Guess I forgot my manners for a bit there. I was trying to give some good advice as well (though my first post certainly wasn't helpful eek).

As for the bull elk, I didn't gut him. Packed him out so I quartered him up and never got into the chest cavity. Never found the bullet, but IMHO, the bullet performed fine. I try not to argue with dead game that falls within a reasonable distance. Impact velocity would have been around 1960 fps.

Also, welcome to the Fire!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
My barrel on the Ruger Hawkeye is 22 inch's. I am shooting 150 grain TTSX's through it right now.

I planned on taking it out to Montana or Wyoming for cow elk hunting next year, and I was wondering if my rig would suffice for the long ranges Wyoming or Montana might present to me.

Would I lose any accuracy at 600 yards with a shorter barrel versus a 26 inch barrel?

Winnie1300

In a word, �No�. Or at least not necessarily.

Last year I took two rifles to the range for a final practice session before elk season � Both Ruger MKII�s, one in .300WM (24�) and one in .30-06 (22�) . At 600 yards I took a total of 5 shots, 2 with one and 3 with the other. Each nailed a clay pigeon and the misses were still very close.

Yesterday my hunting buddy and I were at the range practicing for antelope season. We didn�t bother with clays at 600 due to the wind, but we were keeping on steel pretty easily, most of the misses being left or right due to the gusty winds we were battling. Rifles included a 26� .280 Rem, a 24� 6.5=06AI and a 22� .30-06. No difference in ability to hit the steel.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
mtn-hunter,

Dunno who you are, and can't imagine how you KNOW a 150-grain .30-06 load won't kill an elk, since by your own admission you've never killed one. But I do know prairie_goat, and would guess from your posts so far that he knows a LOT more about rifles, shooting and hunting big game than you can ever pretend to.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by abc
. . . If the elk is farther than 300 yards try getting closer, it is called hunting not shooting.

clever. I'll have to file that one.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somehow or another 299 yds is hunting but at 301 it isn't... wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Somehow or another 299 yds is hunting but at 301 it isn't... wink

Dober

I have noticed that when your boot soles are hanging over thin air on this side of the canyon.....and the elk is on the other side...it is kinda tough to stalk on thin air,except through the forces of divine intervention.

Hiking down one side, and up the other to get closer,is an option,of course....but things rarely look the same when you get there,as the screening cover and folds in the land that were not apparent before, suddenly make them selves known;you do your best,but elk are smarter than us.....ask me how I know.I can still see a B&C elk rack making rooster tails of oak brush leaves and twigs after he detected me at 40 yards,after I hiked over, instead of shooting from the far canyon. frown cry

This does not mean we have tacit license to shoot wildly,and beyond sure kill distance for us.....but the ability to hit effectively at distance can be a hunt saver,and is a perfectly legitimate part of the hunt.Let your conscience and skill sets guide you wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I've never shot an Elk, but that 150 grainer at 06 velocities won't cut it at 600yd, best utilised at 400 and under with impact velocities over 2400 for dramatic wounding on game in the 200-300lb mark.
180gr partion would be my pick driven as fast as you can, great within 400 and adequate to 700 for game of that size.
If you do opt for the lighter pills aim for the neck or brush up on your tracking skills.
Good luck

As "The BS Flows" is a show that always runs here at the FIRE

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 42 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,291
Posts18,467,947
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.