Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Both side-focus and an adjustable objective essentially correct the focus of the reticle, but the side-focus does it inside the scope, rather than by moving the objective lens. Generally an adjustable objective is considered more precise and perhaps tougher, but side-focus is certainly handier--at least for right-handed shooters!

I don't know why a side-focus scope would be dimmer than an adjustable-objective scope, and haven't noticed it in using a number of side-focus scopes. Is the reticle in your older scope a plain plex-type, and the reticle in the new scope a "ballistic" type? Usually plain plexes are wire, while ballistic reticles are etched. The glass that reticles are etched on is usually uncoated, and can slightly dim the image, though the difference normally isn't vast.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The reticle in the older scope is a Nikoplex, as is the reticle in the newer scope. This scope was unbelievably dim, as in the Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 that we mounted on his .22 LR and sighted in at the same session was much, much brighter, as was the Nikon Prostaff spotting scope we were using. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to offend the BIL, but I certainly made note of it. I'll check it out again while we're hunting together next weekend to see if it was as bad as I'm certain it was. I'm a big fan of Nikon optics and was disappointed to see how dim that scope was!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's very interesting. I wonder if something's wrong with it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hjortejeger
Hi MD!
If you have two fixed scopes one 8x56 and one 6x42 for example Zeiss Diatal, you can of course see more details when its dark in the 8x56 scope. In my opinion that is because the target comes 2x closer with the biggest one and not because more light comes into my eye.Is it correct to say they are equally bright?

I am wondering about this too. I am looking for a scope that has very good low light performance and it seems to me that things appear "farther" in poor light. The natural response is to want to increase magnification, but then you must also increase the objective lens diameter.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not necessarily, but sometimes. It depends on the magnification and the person's eyes.

The twilight factor formula is an attempt to resolve these factors.

John Steinbeck
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
MD,

Do you have the Twilight Factor Formula handy?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
TF is the square root of magnification x objective lens diameter (in millimeters).

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A small adjustment:

TF is the square root of (magnification x objective lens diameter)

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
so should I buy a Conquest 3x9x50 or a 3.5 x10x50 for my next 223 caliber deer hunting rifle? No shots are ever over 150 yards but I do like the big image in the 50mm scopes. The 3.5 x 10 is an inch longer and 3 ounces heavier but my eyes are getting weaker.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
If I were you, the 3.5-10x50 would be it.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yes that is what I really want, foolish as I know it is.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, I just read the article and all the comments for the first time. Learned a lot! Thanks Mr. Barnes!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You're welcome!

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I either need to sell a rifle or get another scope. (I like all mine that are to wear a scope ready for use, even those that I may not have shot for quite some time,) My most often used rifle is an accurate, lightweight, .308 topped with a top of the line Zeiss getting on to about 20 years old. Never had any trouble hitting stuff in the "volleyball" out to as much as 500 yards ( which I really do not intend to do again - too much could go wrong.) That should tell me something. This rifle's twin sister is an identical model in .243, wearing a Leupold 3-9 Ultralight EER which I need on a .22LR for the parallax adjustment. My thinking for the .243 is for the Leupold 6x36 as a replacement. I do not see many used ones in this marketplace, so I may have to go new.

John, I appreciate your work. If you have sold out to the industry, you sure hide it well. Thanks for being open and objective. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
jt402,

Thanks--I think!

Actually 6x36 Leupolds come up for sale fairly regularly on the Campfire Classifieds. Usually they're M8's instead of the new FX-II's, but the M8's were quite bright. I probably have 8 or so I've picked up there.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
jt402,

Thanks--I think!

Actually 6x36 Leupolds come up for sale fairly regularly on the Campfire Classifieds. Usually they're M8's instead of the new FX-II's, but the M8's were quite bright. I probably have 8 or so I've picked up there.

Mule Deer

Are the FXII's the same line & quality as the VXII's only in fixed powers?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, same adjustments and lens coatings.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank-you John

S
S
Any participant who is 3 seasons away from large college qualifies for your NFL draft if that participant renounces university football eligibility by earlier. NFL Jerseys to ascertain the draft purchase the NFL goes through the win-loss information on the prior season, to make sure that clubs with poorer information draft earlier than those people with much better records. <a href="http://www.jerseyhandsome.com/Arizona-Cardinals-Jerseys-88">Arizona Cardinals Jerseys</a>

Thus, places generally compete for teams, providing potential clubs larger and much better stadiums, guaranteed lover support, Jerseys NFL and a wide range of http://www.jerseyhandsome.com financial incentives.The NFL draft consists of 7 rounds. The playoffs are more than and now it is time for your huge fixture � the 2011 awesome Bowl! The eco-friendly Bay Packers experienced to beat the Philadelphia Eagles, Atlanta Falcons and also the Chicago Bears to turn into the NFC representatives.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,223
Posts18,466,510
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.