Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yepper, I live in the city, and just this very evening I was stepping warily along a local brushy sream channel running between neighborhoods. Stepping warily on account of the abundant large hog sign and fresh droppings.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Feral pigs can survive in Alaska (some areas).

You poor bastids......

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I shot my biggest free range wild boar in Alberta at the most northern edge of the province, it was -6 deg and everything was covered in 2 feet of snow. The landowner that gave me permission said they are able to live thru the winters with no problems at all. The only thing they noticed was some have the edges of the ears frost bitten.

They will never be eliminated from this wild area. They may not live in huge numbers, but they are a resilient species that seems to survive in humid tropical jungles and near the arctic circle. Remember too that they live without issue in northern Russia, it's kinda cold there too I hear!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Originally Posted by blaser_guy
I have a friend that has several thousand acres of farm and pasture lands that he uses a helicopter to shoot as many as he can. You cannot trap or hunt enough to control them. The farmers he does the control work for are desperate and the helicopter is the only thing yet that can yield the number of kills in a day. They have taken over 300 in a weekend without a dent to the population. I don't think people understand how many hogs are out there.

What state is this in??

Texas

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They reproduce so blooming fast with high litter numbers possible. A young gilt will breed before her first birthday. In cold weather they will pull grass and such to make some pretty impressive beds to stay warm. If they did better in extreme heat they would be invincible.

IC B2

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The wild hogs in South America, Australia, and Africa, not to mention the south pacific islands live in huge numbers in hideous heat, actually most of south Texas has a hog explosion and it's a very hot area.

I shot a massive free range wild boar at -6 F with two feet of snow on the ground ( not in the USA). Russia is quite famous for the wild boars they have and it's darn cold and snowy there in winter! I'm not sure there is an animal on earth that can survive a wider range of habitats and conditions!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What I was referring to in regards to heat is that hogs vulnerability is they cannot be pushed hard in the heat. They have a hard time with regulating body temperature and will not survive if they cannot get cooled down if pressured hard.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

These pigs couldn't be controlled by hunting, but they are at least a little more manageable. grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They'll eat anything. Grass,oats,rye,fruit of any kind,acorns,squirrels,rabbits,mice,snakes...anything! They can survive just about anywhere and you can bet they'll double in population every year.If you haven't killed at least as many as you have seen this year then they're already out of control. Some people say well I've never seen one around here. Well just wait, they're coming! powdr

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
So far we don't have them in Idaho. However, there are some shooting ranches that offer them. It only takes 1 torn down fence to get a plague going. I think canned hunts for pigs should be outlawed entirely because of the potential for escape.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.