Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dan360 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking for a nice little all-weather rifle for hunting in the timber for deer and elk in nasty weather. I've felt up a few rifles and I like the way the rifle points. It's not too long and appears to be bomb-proof. I'm not going to give up on my M70 Featherweight, but I'd like something a bit more robust.

For those that have one of these, how has the finish held up? The ones I've seen in some stores look really dirty. Does the dirty look go away with degreasing and cleaning? Is this one of those stainless rifles that is prone to rusting quickly? Does the action ever smooth up? How does yours shoot!

Thanks guys.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What, no one has responded to this great question?? Everyone must be out deer hunting (glad mine is over grin cool). Ok, now to answer some of your questions. I've got one in 308 and it is a great rifle. I had to bed it and float it to wring out its best accuracy. I know some swear their bone stock all weathers shoot 3/4" groups "all day long" but that wasn't the case with mine. Heres a list of some of the answers to your questions:

1. Yes they are bomb proof as hell
2. Integral mounts are great and robust (rings are a little heavy though)
3. Finish is great (matte stainless)and yes they do clean up very well.
4. Don't know about rusting (maybe some of the AK boys can answer this).
However in our neck of the woods I think the all weather will do exactly what the name implies.
5. The action can be made smooth: Polish up the bolt body (hell, I polish up the bolt handle too while I'm at it--just like the look of the polished bolt handle of the MKII's I guess). Polish the inside of the reciever lug raceways too while your at it and the rugers can be extremely smooth. While I'm in a polishing mood, I take the trigger group out and replace the spring and polish the sear and engagement areas to lighten up the trigger and smoothen it out a lot. Doesn't take too much with the newer LC6 trigger.
6. How do they shoot??? Well mine is a true "less than 1 moa" rifle now, often giving groups of 3/4" or so after bedding though of course. Here are some pics of some of the work I've done to mine and the type of accuracy I get with it:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Its a great shooter now and shoots neck in neck with my SC FN model 70 308 fwt. Honestly I couldn't tell you which one I like better (that would be a hard decision):
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/005-16.jpg[/img]
I do, however, like the fact that it is an "All Weather" type of rifle for less than half the cost of the winchester model 70 EW. If you like the way the ruger handles and fits I'd say buy it and you'll be pretty happy with it. The only thing I thought was weird on my 308 All Weather is it only holds 4 rounds in the magazine and it is pretty heavy for what it is (8.5 pounds all up!!). I've been thinking about putting mine in a mcmillan swirly stock just because I think they look good that way. Just my .02. Take care Dan and let us know if you end up with the all weather and let us know how it shoots. Like I said, a little bit of tweaking and it should be great. Just as good, functionally, as the winchester model 70 but with a better trigger grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Dan360 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wow, thanks for the great writeup. I am surprised that the Hawkeye weighs as much as it does. When I handled it at the store, it didn't feel nearly that heavy. There is a 308 at a local store on sale and I think it would make a great rifle for hunting locally.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dan, my son bought a stainless MKII this year and I have an early MKII stainless. Both started out rough but just working the bolt a lot and then spraying the bolt body with Remington drylube works wonders. Put some good grease on the bolt lugs and camming area of the bolt and you'll be pleased. Without a lot of polishing it won't be as smooth as your M70 but then again that's why the M70 costs more. wink

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dan360
Wow, thanks for the great writeup. I am surprised that the Hawkeye weighs as much as it does. When I handled it at the store, it didn't feel nearly that heavy. There is a 308 at a local store on sale and I think it would make a great rifle for hunting locally.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better rifle for our local area hunting. That little round is very impressive to say the least.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Man, I'm gonna have to bribe you with dinner and beer, so I can pick up some tricks as to how to do bedding that nicely. crazy

Last edited by KDK; 10/03/11. Reason: spastic fingers

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't like the finish on the Hawkeye all-weather. I keep hoping that Ruger will retro the finish like they did on their blued models, but...

That said, for a fair price you get an all steel rifle with no pot metal, no shaped sheet metal, and no plastic trigger guard or follower. You might have to smooth it up a little, but who on here doesn't like to tinker a bit with their guns? And they will shoot and last several lifetimes.

Last edited by lastround; 10/03/11.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine is a .358 Win and it is going to get the float/bed treatment this winter. It shoots good, sometimes under 1" but mostly 1.5" with 200gr Hornadys. The finish on mine has some scuff marks but I use it in the worst of weather and the worst terrain around here.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is my Ruger M 77 MKIII in 7mm/08. It's done some work in some very nasty weather down around Nasale and Greys River on the lower Columbia River here on the Washington side of the river near Astoria.

[Linked Image]

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Dan360 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks a lot guys. I think I will pick one up at the end of the week. A local store has a Hawkeye All-Weather in 280 Rem, NIB for $475. That, or I'll get something like a 308.

IC B3

6mm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Go with the 280 Remington!!! You will love it! 280 REMINGTON....

6mm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This Ruger MKII in 6mm Remington was not "all weather" before, but it is now!! We pulled the factory stock off and I had a Boyds nutmeg laminate pillar and glass bedded and put on it. Also had the stock checkered. It shoots great and I love the Ruger rifle with controlled round feed, long magazine box, and bullet proof scope mouting system. They make a heck of a rifle in my opinion!!
David

[Linked Image]

My son & his first elk with his Ruger MKII 6mm Remington.
[Linked Image]

Dan360 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Very cool. I'm considering the 280 because of the great price on it. I might even pick up the same rifle in 223 for a plinker.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got one in .308. Got the creep out of the trigger, lightened the pull, free-floated the barrel, and worked on the magazine so that it didn't put upward pressure on the action is all I've done to it. It won't win a benchrest match, but it is a very dependable and accurate hunting rifle.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dan you've been talking about a 280 for years, might as well just get it done laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine Hawkeye has a different twist. Since the original stock wasnt free floating and tended to cause the gun to verticaly string shots (once the barrel heated up) I sold off the factory stock and fitted a Hogue unit with the full length bedding block. ( and thanks to bsa's words of wisdom regarding skim bedding !!)
The gun now shoots well without any shot stringing - even though I havent bedded it.

Gus

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'd snatch that .280 NOW if I were you.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I've got one in .308. Got the creep out of the trigger, lightened the pull, free-floated the barrel, and worked on the magazine so that it didn't put upward pressure on the action is all I've done to it. It won't win a benchrest match, but it is a very dependable and accurate hunting rifle.

[Linked Image]

Damn, I better go and check the safe. That looks just like mine grin

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dan360
Thanks a lot guys. I think I will pick one up at the end of the week. A local store has a Hawkeye All-Weather in 280 Rem, NIB for $475. That, or I'll get something like a 308.

I'd get the .280 way before the 308!!!!!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by W7ACT
Here is my Ruger M 77 MKIII in 7mm/08. It's done some work in some very nasty weather down around Nasale and Greys River on the lower Columbia River here on the Washington side of the river near Astoria.

[Linked Image]
..............What scope are you using on that Ruger compact?

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 204guy, 34 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,362
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.