Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Alberta is primarily rifle country. However, in the bow zones around the major cities, there are often hunts for various critters where us non arrow slingers can use shotgun slugs or muzzleloaders. I was drawn for a January cow elk tag. I am too cheap to purchase a muzzle loader, and therefore am going to use my rifled shotgun barrel.

I am wondering if anyone has used a shotgun slug on cow elk?

I have purchased a number of different types, but even the Barnes expander is recommended for deer.

Any experience with a sabot slug that works good on elk?

Thanks.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I haven't killed anything [yet] with a shotgun slug, but you might check at MidwayUSA.com in their shotgun ammo section - for selections, but also many feedbacks from customers who have BTDT.

Barring costs, the Remington Buckhammer's (3 and 2 3/4") seem VERY EFFECTIVE along with some of their other slugs.

Also the Winchester Partition Gold slug (3") shoots a sabotted .50 caliber 385 grain Nosler Partition!

Reports from Midway customers who have killed stuff say 'total pass-throughs'; on deer, hogs and even one or two "elks!" grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
as a general rule i find 2.75 in slugs more accurate than 3 in.

most deer are pass throughs and if shot in the chest i have found the slug lodged against the pelvis. this with lightfield slugs and buckhammers are built a lot like a lightfield.
your plan will work if the elk cooperate.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have shot deer (OHIO) with slugs and they went down quickly and as said pass throughs so I would imagine a 12-ga slug would be awsome! I used the old lead Winchester Super X in my smooth bores. 2-3/4 gave me better results as well. Good luck!

Good Shooting!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunted many years with them when I lived back east and took many deer, know a few folks that also took black bear with them. Just as with a rifle, shoot various brands of the sabot type to see which group best. I found some that appeared to tumble (based on the holes and pattern in the target)from my gun a Remington and performed great in my son's Browning.I had best results with the Win Partition Gold's and like others have stated, found the 2 3/4" typically grouped best.
Good Luck!

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes,

Slugs do a number on elk.

Shotgun and slugs is not a bad choice on limited viability , heavy wet snow days that make some scopes hard to use.

An ounce of lead transfers a lot of energy.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In '93 I used the 3" Winchester BRI sabot slug to shoot my one and only shotgun deer. As the 870 came down out of recoil, all I saw was upside down hooves kicking in the air above the alfalfa. 50 calibre hole through the top of the spine. It was pretty much end of legal shooting light on an overcast day. In the gloom, I over estimated the range. I held on the spine thinking she was 125 yds away. If I was right, it would plunked right through the lungs. Instead I hit right where I aimed, meaning she was only 100yds away.

I used an 870 with a cantilever barrel with a rifled choke tube. Seemed to be pretty accurate. Even foster slugs were pretty much one hole at 50yds. BRI beat the Copper Solid and the Federal wasp wasted sabot slugs (BRI clone). ( Most advanced slugs in '93. Now I have a fully rifled barrel for the 870. I have also installed the Timney "870 Trigger Fix". Even I could install it. Almost a very good rifle trigger. Big improvement. Just need to find a slug that shoots well, and practice.

Leaning to the Barnes or the Winchester Partition. Would try the Hornady if I find some up here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by AB2506
I have also installed the Timney "870 Trigger Fix".

I was unaware of this. You mean there is better for a shotgun than a jerk trigger?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I fitted a Trigger Shoe on my 870. I think trap shooter used them at one time. The shoe fits over the trigger and anchors with set screws, it about doubles the contact surface of the trigger, is grooved and makes squeezing the trigger a possibility.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
http://timneytriggers.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=48

You have to pretty much disassemble the trigger, to install the new sear and spring, but I found the instructions clear and easy to follow. Excellent results.

IC B3

AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have the 3" Federal Barnes Expander, 3" Winchester Supreme Partition Gold, 3" Winchester BRI, 2 3/4" Hornady FTX. Couldn't find the Remington Corelock Ultra.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Timney Rem. 870 trigger fix will also work on 760/7600 pump rifles and Rem. auto rifles. they all use the same trigger groups.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Brenneke rifled slugs have been advertised for larger big game. I have used them on deer and never recovered one. I would think the range would be short, say 50 yards or so and a smooth bore will give you all the accuracy you would need.

AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Area is foothills and fairly open. I lean towards one of the controlled expansion lighter slugs at higher velocity for less recoil and flatter trajectory. Closer is better, but to 150-175 would be nice.

Also, I have a rifled barrel.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

345 members (1lesfox, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 30 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.