-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think I got this one figured out, you were using one of those new top secret heat seeking bullets when you made that 800yd shoot down hill with open sights and aiming 30 feet above the deer and then you woke up.

Last edited by rick59; 10/05/11.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Naw, but I was using a 160 spitzer boat tail. Don't remember the power/load/primer, hell that was years ago. Again, can we get back on topic please?

***EDIT***

I don't care whether you put this or that on this page. How I could have or could have not made the shot. The fact of the matter is I made the damn shot. Get over it and lets move on, good hell!

Last edited by Rustin; 10/05/11.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Well I have no experience with either but I suppose if your looking for long range and big charges you could look for a KNIGHT LONG RANGE HUNTER or maybe a SAVAGE smokeless powder muzzleloader that also allows the use of black powder. They both have good strong barrels.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Rustin
dvdgeorge<--- I've killed more animals then you can even dream of. I do it every day.
Everyday? You must be a professional poacher! Let's see some pics? Since your guessing the amount dvdgeorge's game kills... How many more animals have you killed than me?

I know more about the vitals of animals then most if not all the people here, I'm a USDA Meat Inspector for hell sakes.
Tube steak inspector.

Well I have dropped animals at 800 yards with open sights and a Savage 30/30
Animals is plural.... seem's your backtracking now. I do believe you have killed animals(plural) over 800 yards with a 30/30 open-sights......on your Sony Playstation.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't care if you want to brag on your shooting prowess and ability. I was trying to explain that with the limitations set by the state of Utah, you are unable to use modern muzzleloaders to their fullest thus decreasing your effective range to less than what you are looking for. I didn't want you to buy a muzzleloader and be unhappy with the results and worse wound game animals unnecessarily.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just don't buy anything made in Spain. A T/C is about the only thing left which really sucks.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad to see you posting here Randy.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Check out the CVA Optima. They are one hell of a muzzy for a low price and don't need trigger jobs like those $800 TC's!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Using both inlines and traditionals and killing a few animals with them,I can safely say that 100 yards with a 100 gr charge and a bullet in the 275-300 gr weight class is pretty much going to limit one to about 100 yards. Certainly not 200 yards.

I have a TC Black Diamond ER that can take up to 150 gr of powder, but I seriously doubt that it is going to do a clean kill past 200 yards. I tried to put a Williams reciever sight on it,and with 100 gr of 777 and a 295 gr PB, I could not get the peep up high enough to shoot zero at 100 yards. I was still lacking about 8 ".

The 100gr load has a pretty hefty recoil although I am a little arthitic in the shoulder and recoil dose bother me, but I can't see stuffing another 50 gr's of powder in it without severely bothering my shoulder. As the OP said he has problems with recoil also,I do not see any avenues for him to procede. Thinking he is going to do better than 150 yards, let alone 300 or so is a dream especially considering he stated he might have problems even with the loading.

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/05/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Naw, but I was using a 160 spitzer boat tail. Don't remember the power/load/primer, hell that was years ago. Again, can we get back on topic please?

***EDIT***

I don't care whether you put this or that on this page. How I could have or could have not made the shot. The fact of the matter is I made the damn shot. Get over it and lets move on, good hell!

This is too unbelievable.

The front sight at 800 yds would be way bigger than the whole deer. Plus you held 30 ft over it. We need to figure in some windage. How could you possibly say you aimed that? You could wave the gun in the air somewhere, and hope for the best.

Bullet energy (fpe) would be at BB gun levels for a 30-30.

Hardly an ethical shot. If you did make it. I'd bet all my savings you couldn't repeat it.

Good hunters don't make 800 yd shots with a high dollar flat shooting gun and very good optics. They can also repeat it, because they practice those shots over and over.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
slg888<----I'm not going to play that game like a 2 year old. Stop wasting time and forum resources for non-topic related garbage. I never bragged, I simply said that it could be done, and it was done. There is no backing up so get over it and fully read my posts.

Anyway, thank you guys for ideas. I looked at the Savage 10 ML-II and love the idea that it does have a stronger barrel and the fact that it can shoot white powder. I do have to move around quite a bit so having the opportunity to use different loads and such makes me think that it might be the best way to go. I did find a picture of one here: http://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/6237/947347661/wm_md_2434375.jpg Does anyone know if it came stock that way or was it custom built?

Are there any others out there that can shoot other powders like Savage and Knight?

I saw the CVA Optima and it looks perfect as well. Has a great look, just like what I am looking for, but I do like extra options too!

Trouth<--- Not trying to brag. Anyway, that's why I posted up our laws, well at least the laws in Utah.

Last edited by Rustin; 10/05/11.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
dvdegorge<--- I've killed more animals then you can even dream of. I do it every day. Doesn't matter, I've been secsessful all my life with exception of a single special draw hunt area that the animals where not in at the time of the hunt. 70 yards was a clean paper shot for me at the time, I was only a child like I said. What do you want from me?

Keep dreaming your dreams.... and all that success form someone that can't spell successful....I don't consider the stomping of cockroaches that live in your double wide kill'in critters

Stick around here you are on track to over take the likes of Swampman or Jeff_O for biggest dolt to add to your impressive resume

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think the Savage is a great muzzleloader, maybe the best I have found but there is a couple problems. I'm not sure I would get a Savage if you are going to shoot black powder as it is illegal to shoot smokeless in Utah. Also, the Savage ML-II is going to cost you more than you want to spend if you want stainless.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Old_Hunter

This is too unbelievable.

The front sight at 800 yds would be way bigger than the whole deer. Plus you held 30 ft over it. We need to figure in some windage. How could you possibly say you aimed that? You could wave the gun in the air somewhere, and hope for the best.

Bullet energy (fpe) would be at BB gun levels for a 30-30.

Hardly an ethical shot. If you did make it. I'd bet all my savings you couldn't repeat it.

Good hunters don't make 800 yd shots with a high dollar flat shooting gun and very good optics. They can also repeat it, because they practice those shots over and over.

Your right, I couldn't see the deer because the sight was WAY too big. Listen, I made the damn shot and I really don't care about it, the fact of the matter that was years ago and I don't shoot every day now like I did back then. I lived in the mountians and did shoot every day. The fact is that was then and today I haven't shot my rifle sense I built it, which was about 2 years ago. I couldn't hit the brod side of a barn now! I bet if I were to go out right now and shoot a set and post em you would then accuse me of cheating. Like I said I'm not going to play that game, now grow up and lets please get back on topic...OMG!

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Keep dreaming your dreams.... and all that success form someone that can't spell successful....I don't consider the stomping of cockroaches that live in your double wide kill'in critters

Stick around here you are on track to over take the likes of Swampman or Jeff_O for biggest dolt to add to your impressive resume

LOL��Bite me!

Sounds like you live in a single wide and have buck teeth someone can kick a field goal for 3 points for the game winner! You have your own spelling issues "form" instead of "from" and also you don't know English grammar. So before you start picking a fight you need to look in a mirror Mr. George of the Jungle!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Your right, I couldn't see the deer because the sight was WAY too big. Listen, I made the damn shot and I really don't care about it, the fact of the matter that was years ago and I don't shoot every day now like I did back then. I lived in the mountians and did shoot every day. The fact is that was then and today I haven't shot my rifle sense I built it, which was about 2 years ago. I couldn't hit the brod side of a barn now! I bet if I were to go out right now and shoot a set and post em you would then accuse me of cheating. Like I said I'm not going to play that game, now grow up and lets please get back on topic...OMG!

Bet you always won the state spelling bee too!

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
I think the Savage is a great muzzleloader, maybe the best I have found but there is a couple problems. I'm not sure I would get a Savage if you are going to shoot black powder as it is illegal to shoot smokeless in Utah. Also, the Savage ML-II is going to cost you more than you want to spend if you want stainless.

ddj

So are you stating that if you buy the ML-II Savage or Knight, that you can't shoot regular black power in it?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Bet you always won the state spelling bee too!

I can tell you placed in the same round as I did!.... cry

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj

ddj

So are you stating that if you buy the ML-II Savage or Knight, that you can't shoot regular black power in it?

Sorry, no you can shoot blackpowder or a substitute such as 777 in the Savage. If you are going to shoot blackpowder there isn't the need for the strongest of action and I think a T/C Omega would be a great cost effective muzzleloader for your needs. Also, the Savage is in limited production and they don't make the stainless anymore so they are expensive. Just my opinion.

ddj

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you wanna play with the players let's play....I'll go 1st and you follow Great White Hunter
Since we are talking MZ'ers I'll start, and even an animal from your part of the country
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sorry I was able to hunt and get within 70yds but please feel free to post some 400yd MZ'er kills...you're up Jr.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1234, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 1eyedmule, 60 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,562
Posts18,453,715
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.