Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Trolls are cowards, hiding behind a computer screen. I don't think they'd say to a man's face what they so often write from the obscurity of their den. They've got to put others down to make themselves look big, at least in their own eyes. They dogmatically spew out information as to appear expert, only to reveal their ineptitude. It's a function of the electronic age, I guess. I like modern gadgets, but cherish the old days when a man was a man and worms didn't dare crawl around in daylight. Even skunks move mostly at night. Daylight skunks, at least in my yard, tend to get blasted. Now, if those skunks just had a computer... eek

IMHO,

DF

BP-B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Ah, Gene, you're so genteel . . . . . . . . . and so right about this nutpack.

I've seen Swampthang on a number of sites in the last 8-10 years. His . . . . ahem! "following" is always the same. Tough being right all the time . . . . . . . just ask him. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So Did you get it worked out?

Was it a bullet "Size" issue?

T

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Patrick_James
Swampytroll, why don't you get lost. I was waiting to see how long it will be 'till your Ruger #3 45/70 is a piece of [bleep] because it key holed on one of your reloads or you tried 20 grains of bullseye as a reduced load.( Don't try it)

By the way guys, Swamptroll joined the Ruger forum.

Funny how he claims that Ruger No.1's are inaccurate but yet he buys one!!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
Swampytroll, why don't you get lost. I was waiting to see how long it will be 'till your Ruger #3 45/70 is a piece of [bleep] because it key holed on one of your reloads or you tried 20 grains of bullseye as a reduced load.( Don't try it)

That's because he's consistently inconsistent.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep!I even got pictures.I've got pictures showing all the targets when it was spraying instead of grouping.I had the pictures when Swamprabbit claimed I was lying.I just havn't uploaded them to photo bucket.

I carry a digital camera in my pickup most all the time.When something waaaaay out of the ordinary happens -like a modern rifle shooting this bad - I'll take pictures in case I want to illustrate a thread or make a point.

It was a combination of things:Switching shooting positions , ranges , and loads just made it harder to figure out.It must have been the scope base was loose , although it seemed tight even when I removed it.

I've not much experience shooting lever actions off the bench and I find that this one is more sensitive to forearm placement than even a Ruger No.1.That obviously doesn't explain the spraying , but I can get a 6 inch vertical variation by moving the front rest.

Anyhow : It will put two factory 240's in the black at 80 yards , about an inch between them.It puts 2 of the 320 gr. cast performance within an inch of each other but about 6 inches below the factory bullets.

The 240 cast won't shoot and I expect it's due to the smaller diameter as someone on here suggested.

I'm going to leave thi 1X4 leupold on it and just let my 45 70 take a rest this Fall .I'll get the old Redfield back from repair by next Fall.

I'll soon find out what the 320 CP's will do to a hog.

THAT's when I'll post some pictures!

Thanks to all .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I've got a Ruger No.1 in 270 Wby that's bone-stock except for a set trigger and I'll shoot it against anybody's factory 270 for money,marbles , or chalk.That's with 130 XXX and IMR 7828 .

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
CD,

With the narrow forearm on lever guns, I like to hold the forearm in my hand, resting my hand on the front rest with the toe of the stock on the rear pad. It seems to be more consistent that way. I hold the gun tight with good pressure against my shoulder and a good, solid cheek weld. I get my best groups with that technique.

RKR

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll have to wait for a second opinion from swamprabbit before I commit to that.

grin grin grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I'll have to wait for a second opinion from swamprabbit before I commit to that.

grin grin grin

laugh That's funny...!

If he agrees, then we're both back to the drawing board.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't own a Ruger #1 and never have. I've been a member of the Ruger Forum since 2007. You weren't old enough to buy a gun back then.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Swampman700

I don't own a Ruger #1 and never have. I've been a member of the Ruger Forum since 2007. You weren't old enough to buy a gun back then.

OK, now fess up to having a # 3 in .45-70. It's not a # 1, but pretty close.

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Lol!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just said I don't own a #1 nor have I ever. I've never used any Bullseye either.

A very well known gun scribe once stated..."If Ruger ever made an accurate gun, it must still be at the factory." The M77s & the #1s are well known for being a "pig in a poke." Every once in awhile you find one that shoots. If you do, hang on to it.

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

A truck window is no place to shoot from and likely it isn't legal to hunt from. The guy's an idgit.

What about shooting from a golf cart...?

DF

Swampy will only shoot from a golf cart if it's an azz shot....

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't own a golf cart. I don't shoot from cars, trucks, carts, etc. I leave that to you guys.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not denying the ass shot though....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Trolls are cowards, hiding behind a computer screen. I don't think they'd say to a man's face what they so often write from the obscurity of their den. They've got to put others down to make themselves look big, at least in their own eyes. They dogmatically spew out information as to appear expert, only to reveal their ineptitude. It's a function of the electronic age, I guess. I like modern gadgets, but cherish the old days when a man was a man and worms didn't dare crawl around in daylight. Even skunks move mostly at night. Daylight skunks, at least in my yard, tend to get blasted. Now, if those skunks just had a computer... eek

IMHO,

DF

I called plenty of folks liars to their face. You're a liar.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I don't own a golf cart. I don't shoot from cars, trucks, carts, etc. I leave that to you guys.

Can't so much as lean a loaded firearm on a vehicle here and the other states that I hunt in. Did you steal the golf cart you azz shot that deer from or did it belong to one of your geriatric "friends"?

Laffin'

George

ETA: Sorry CD but the rain is hammering here, it's been a long few weeks at work, and I need a good laugh.

Last edited by NH K9; 10/04/11.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The John Deere belonged to the owner of the farm. It was used to bring the buck back to the house from back on the ridge near the river. I can't even drive the thing. No use for road hunters like Tex here.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (35, 32_20fan, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,409 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.