Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

1.5-6x42 Monarch Gold

" A premier dangerous game riflescope, the Monarch Gold 1.5-6x42 offers a massive field of view, a very useable power range and 7mm-plus exit pupil at any magnification. A fine choice for extreme low light hunting and the heaviest cover "

Part #6615 (Matte, German #4)
Part #6616 (Matte, Nikoplex)

http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/monarch_gold/1.5-6x42_German_4/6615

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
GA270:

Sounds good to me...do it!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RandyWakeman
Isn't the question about "late and close"?

When you are shooting at a black blob in dark woods late, you appreciate all the help you can get.

http://randywakeman.com/BlackBearHunt2010.htm

This has been a discontinued model.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jimmyp
are the VXR scopes multi coated? The 2-7 is a good price.

What kind of prices are you finding on the VX-r's?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Leup 2x7x33 VXR is about $460.00, not bad for an IR.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GA270
I popped up the Campfire with the intention of posting about this topic, and lo and behold, one of my fellow Southerners had pretty much beat me to it. So as not to highjack his thread, here's mine:

I have a place on my hunting property in south Georgia where the deer come out late and close. For the last three years I've killed a good buck there, always at the last possible light and at about ten yards. This year I've semi-customized a Model 722 in .308 (barrel chopped to 21 inches and recrowned, duracoated, bedded into a synthetic Remington Model 700 ADL stock) that a hunting buddy gave me. I intend it to be my rifle for this particular hot spot. It'll put three shots into an inch at 100 yards, which should qualify it to hit a deer at ten yards. Here's my question: I want a scope that would work well in both low light AND at close range. Please, no offense, but I'd like a smaller scope than the 56mm versions being recommended on the other thread. I' m considering a Leupold VX-3 1.75-6 X 32 with a heavy duplex reticle. The availability of the heavy duplex reticle is what I like about this scope. Last year when I got my buck at this spot I could barely see the crosshairs on the Nikon Monarch I was using on my .270. Does anyone have any experience with this Leupold scope/reticle combination? Do you have any other suggestions for a low light AND close range scope? And apologies in advance to my SC comrade for posting a topic so close to his.

Either one of these Burris XTRs should fit the bill. Pg 28.
http://www.flipdocs.com/scripts/showbook.aspx?ID=10000422_984841

Last edited by gorskij; 10/07/11.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
i have often wondered about the burris scopes. YOu don't hear them mentioned much regards low light performance!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have an Alpen optics 1.5x6x40 scope w/ill. dot on order hopefully it will be here for my coyote hunting. It's been on back order since June. I quess the EQ in Japan damaged their supplier. I have 1.5x6x40 scopes by Sightron, Bushnell and Burris and it's an ideal power range for called coyotes for me

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have often wondered about the burris scopes. YOu don't hear them mentioned much regards low light performance!

Thats too bad cuz they totally rock in low light situations.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

The only negative I have with most Burris scopes is the eye relief is shorter than listed in their specs. I have a Signature Safari scope (1.75x5) that to my eye is better tnan my VX-II & FX-II scopes, has a more forgiving eye box, and has plenty of eye relief. The resolution is as good or better than a Nikon Monarch.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is actually quite a demanding brief for a scope. First and foremost, you want good glass. It would also be fair to assume you should plan for the possibility of a longer shot, even if that is still only a hundred yards. Firstly, you want a large exit pupil/low magnification so that you can get into the image quickly if you have to suddenly throw the rifle to your shoulder. Obviously, you will mostly use it at low magnification and with an exit pupil of 6-7mm (if you are over 30, 6mm is probably a bit more like it). But do also give some consideration to twilight factor if not all of the deer are going to pop up at 10 yards. There is more to low light performance than optimal exit pupil, and the option of using greater magnification to more clearly define a target via increased twilight factor is also very likely to be of benefit (yes, i know it is very uncool to talk about twilight factor, but there is a reason we folks who do a fair bit of shooting in the dark like higher magnifications and larger objectives). So personally, i would also be looking for something offering at least 6x magnification, and to maintain exit pupil, that will mean a 40mm objective. An optimal exit pupil alone might give you a bright image, but twilight factor (and more importantly, good glass) gives you the details to allow you to define your target better.

So i'd probably be looking for something like the 1.5-6x42 guys here are suggesting. Pay attention to the FOV, too, especially with the 4x zoom options.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by GA270
For the last three years I've killed a good buck there, always at the last possible light and at about ten yards....Do you have any other suggestions for a low light AND close range scope?

Since it sounds like your shots are less than 50 yards and you don't like large objectives lenses, here are my suggestions:

Trijicon Accupoint TR24 1-4x (normally I'd recommend the German #4 with the amber dot, but at your ranges it probably doesn't matter which reticle you go with).

Aimpoint Comp with 4 MOA dot (or similar EOTech, etc.)

Basically, anything that would work on an AR15 carbine set up for CQB would work for your application as well. You don't really need a hunting scope, per se.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 54 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.