24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
R
It seems to me that should the .308 figures be even near accurate that seems to translate to:

6000 rounds through the barrel........

@ 20 rounds per box we have 300 boxes of ammunition........

Each season IF and I say IF you fire 5 boxes (100 rounds) in practice and actual hunting per season........

The rifle, with care, will last 70 seasons !!

The grand children will fight over "Dad's" old rifle.

LOL

I am 67 and just entering my "mid-life" crisis. and I can't find a place near Houston to hunt hogs without maxing a credit card.

BP-B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have never shot a barrel out, but understand that the worst thing for barrel life is ultra high velocity. If you must have close to 4,000 ft/sec at the muzzle, your barrel won't last long...maybe as little as 1,000 rounds, or less, before accuracy suffers. So your small-bore wildcats and magnums are likely to require re-barreling far sooner than slower chamberings.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geeezzz! Last year between late Feb and early June, I put 12,000+ rds through my 22LR in the squirrel fields. That is in single shot mode, and I hope it can endure that for many more seasons. Not sure the camming surface on my Ruger 77/22 bolt is going to survive though.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are a lot of variables to this, so it is difficult to come up with numbers. But here are some variables:

Bullet weight - Heavier bullets wear barrel faster than light bullets.

Barrel material/fabrication method - It's generally agreed that cut rifled barrels last longer than button rifled, and hammer forged lasts longer than cut. Walther claims their stainless material lasts longer than 416, and chrome lined lasts longer than plain. HK & Noveske claim their polygonal rifling lasts longer than conventional rifling.

Velocity - High velocity wears faster than the same bullet moving slow.

Bullet style - It's been noticed that many barrels that won't shoot boat tails will still shoot flat base.

Cleaning method - Using poor cleaning methods can damage a barrel, especially the crown.

Fire lapping - It is claimed that fire lapping extends the life of a barrel.

Then last, but certainly not least, Your accuracy standards - A barrel that is too worn for benchrest use might be just fine for whacking P-dogs or for 3-gun competition.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I once had a winchester Mod 70 varmmint in 22 250. I pushed it to about 1,500 - 2000 or so rounds and gave up on it. Sold it as a donor action to a fellow. I was very careful to tell him that it was pretty shot out and he understood perfectly but then said he never intended to shoot it at all. The throat was so burned out I could not seat 60 gr bullets so that they could find the lands. You culd see the wear by looking into the end of tje receiver. I babied that barrel too. Used a moderate load of 4064 and never let the Barrel get hot. Shot targets nice and slow. Even when heavily worn I could coax 1" or so groups with the right loads.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by TryMe
I could not fathom a reason to slum CM on an aftermarket tube.

I don't understand what you said. Care to explain?
Butch

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pal
Have never shot a barrel out, but understand that the worst thing for barrel life is ultra high velocity.

Heat and pressure are the number one causes. The part of a barrel with the least amount of wear is the muzzle end, where the bullets are going the fastest.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an Australian friend who put 9000+ rounds through a 243 hunting kangaroo and pigs. He gave the rifle to his brother when he emigrated to Canada.

His brother used it for another 5000 rounds, then finally gave up on the rifle.

For them, it was accurate enough for 14,000 rounds. smile

Ted

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Wow 12,000 rounds at Squirrels in 4 months.!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In a well stocked field after the young have emerged, one can easily do a brick a day and have a couple of hours left to go. Pretty much load and shoot all day long. Despite warnings, visiting shooters always run out of ammo thinking they were stocked for a two day weekend. One rancher whose fields I work, will furnish ammo to those that can really shoot.

1Minute
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just my two cents but I believe it has more to do with the person shooting it.I have seen to many people shoot to many rounds before cooling.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by whelennut
Spotshooter,
Hang around with highpower rifle shooters and you will hear that the .223 shooters expect about 10,000 rds from a barrel.

The .308 Winchester crowd expects 6,000 rds.

I have heard that the .243 Winchester and 7mm Magnums might be around 1500-2000 rds.

I purchased a used barrel from a state champion which had 6,000 rds through it. It got rechambered to a 300 Winchester Magnum
and now is an elk hunting rifle. The owner is very satisfied with it!

The target shooter did not want to go to the National Match at Camp Perry and chance that the barrel would go bad at a national championship. It still shot fine when he took it off at 6,000 rds.
This was a high quality match barrel to begin with (Kreiger)which probably is a big factor?

Never really heard a highpower shooter ever say 10K from a 223. Most I know say 3500 to 5000 max typically.

I babied one though a Krieger once... and won the LA state leg match with it on its last match, at something over 12K rounds and barely shooting MOA and just over....

243 you can get under 1000 rounds depending...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff,
Have you ever run Tubb Final Finish through a barrel on a regular basis? Did you get more rounds out of a barrel then?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Don't know about them all,but I have had 22 LR that I know I had shot well over 10 bricks thru them and they still shot fine.
My .308 has several thousand thru it and it stll shoots 3/4" groups.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Look at:

yarchive dot net/gun/barrel/barrel_life.html

for an interesting article and discussion. The article is not dated, but I've been aware of it for at least five years, probably longer. Bart Bobbitt, the article's author, explains his formula for Calculating Rifle Barrel Life in detail.

Look at:

bulletin.accurateshooter dot com/2010/11/handy-excel-formula-predicts-useful-barrel-life/

for an article, a program download, and some discussion.

Last edited by TwentyTwo; 10/16/11. Reason: spelling
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BarryC
There are a lot of variables to this, so it is difficult to come up with numbers. But here are some variables:

Bullet weight - Heavier bullets wear barrel faster than light bullets.

Barrel material/fabrication method - It's generally agreed that cut rifled barrels last longer than button rifled, and hammer forged lasts longer than cut. Walther claims their stainless material lasts longer than 416, and chrome lined lasts longer than plain. HK & Noveske claim their polygonal rifling lasts longer than conventional rifling.

Velocity - High velocity wears faster than the same bullet moving slow.

Bullet style - It's been noticed that many barrels that won't shoot boat tails will still shoot flat base.

Cleaning method - Using poor cleaning methods can damage a barrel, especially the crown.

Fire lapping - It is claimed that fire lapping extends the life of a barrel.

Then last, but certainly not least, Your accuracy standards - A barrel that is too worn for benchrest use might be just fine for whacking P-dogs or for 3-gun competition.

I have never understood stainless steel.
In the machinist books it ain't as hard as carbon steel but it sure is hard to work with in the shop.
And it seems everyone agrees that stainless barrels last longer.

I don't understand why.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Wow, you resurrected a 7-year-old thread??

With regards to stainless steel, there are a lot of different types of stainless steel. Barrels are typically made of 416 stainless which is a martensitic stainless and quite easy to machine. Some of the austensitic steels tend to work hard very readily and need heavy cuts with a big machine or they will go rock-hard on you. Fasteners are typically made from 304 ss and it is prone to work hardening.

As far as using a CM barrel, I use them occasionally myself. They are stronger and can be blued if that is the type of rifle you are building. Who wants a SS barrel on a exhibition grade rifle?

I much prefer CM actions over SS too.

I'm no expert on barrel life but I'll bet if you don't ruin it with a cleaning rod, 20-30K out of a 22 rimfire is no problem. Out tactical rifles typically went about 4500 rounds (308) before needed new barrels. I have worn out two 6.5-284 barrels in less than 900 rounds and one in 500 rounds. I think R17 is really hard on barrels.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
.22RF barrels will last several lifetimes of steady shooting with very judicious cleaning, ie: basically once in a coon's age. Back in the pre-war era, serious rimfire match shooters insisted on soft steel versus harder alloy steel for their barrels. Winchester catered to that by offering the M52 with a choice of low carbon or nickel steel barrels. Was that due to magical qualities of soft steel and lead? Don't know, but my personal theory is that it was easier to machine the soft steel and as such was easier to get a smoother finish in the bore which in turn aided accuracy. Boutique barrel makers of the time such as Harry Pope held to the use of low carbon steel for rimfire target rifles too. I wonder if one could specify a soft steel .22 barrel from a current barrel maker, and if it really would make a difference in this day and age?

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/22/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
you get close to 3k rounds on an AR barrel in match shooting you better be only shooting it on the short courses and have a new one ready

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am astonished by such a low barrel life for an AR!!!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
472 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 40 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.