Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
While I was hunting this past week, our son got the opportunity to hunt an smaller adjoining ranch and we were able to work out the logistics, money, and details. He is 23 and this was his first elk hunt. I would rather have had him hunt with me, but it didn't work out that way. Frustrating hunt, but they are sometimes like that. He passed on some smaller bulls, cows, etc hoping for a nice one. Yes, I gave him the "any elk is a good elk" talk for his first hunt. Last day, time running out...and a herd of elk is spotted at approximately 200 yards away. He was getting into position to make a shot on one of the elk and overhead a B1 bomber screams down the valley he was hunting, practicing radar avoidance, etc....and scares my son's elk clean out of the park he was hunting and into the next zip code! Funny thing...this same jet screamed over our spot where we were at just a couple of minutes before, and headed straight for the valley where our son was at just a few miles away.

Can you sue the government for hunter harassment? To his credit, we were able to laugh about it later on when re-telling the tale...he's got a lifetime to put the smackdown some elk, but dang, that's some kind of bad luck isn't it?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Man. That's gotta suck. But at least he's good enough to laugh about it.
I've got a friend who was setting up to shoot his biggest buck, when his cell phone started ringing. He still gets fighting mad and starts cussing about his uncle calling him when he tells the story. I always tell him he's the one to blame for not turning the damn thing off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Arghhh!

Good chances at elk are precious. Sorry to hear about your son's poor fortune!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Montana?

Psalm 18:34 ->>---->
He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks like a B1B. I can image how they would scatter elk as they are REALLY loud. I live close an air force base and normally don't pay much attention to air traffic but when a B1 flies over, it will get your attention.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Friend of mine had the same thing happen on antelope but he ended up getting one.

Very loud when they are low and light the afterburners.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
several times here i az - be sittin glassin or stalking ,our desert coues deer and have fighter planes buzzz the mtn tops - scares the hell out of eveything including myself

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
This was New Mexico. I was told they were flying out of Colorado Springs. You are very right....they are loud as hell....He obviously was not supersonic, so we could hear him coming. I had enough time to grab my camera, remove lens cap and turn her on and was able to snap 4 pics total of my tax dollars at work. These were the two best pics.

Thanks for the comments and condolences....

Last edited by Godogs57; 10/10/11.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
interesting...most are based outta Ellworth AFB in SD and I know they do alot of trng missions over MT. Never seen/heard of them flying outta C-Spring and I was stationed there from 2007 to 2011.

Sucks if they ruined your hunt...but I love that sound..."the sound of freedom!"

Holla!

Psalm 18:34 ->>---->
He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

B1B Lancer, wings swept back, splendid plane! The four TF101 must be a little too noisy for the elk...Good picture.
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Does not look like any B1 bomber I ever saw!!! too bad about your sons disruption
bob

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ohhh man.... my appologies. We had a air show yesterday at Kirtland AFB here in ABQ. There was a B-1 fly-over yesterday. Thats what you seen... those jets are never in northern NM. It was a Dyess bird. The BONE as its called is always a crowd pleaser at air shows, but the thing will drop parts before it drops bombs most of the time.

Suprised you didnt see any of the thunderbirds flying over. I just got back from doing the FOD walk of the entire flightline cleaning up after all those folks.

v/r
Jon

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

May be you need to look better. It's for sure one and it's wing are swept back, like for high speed penetration flight.

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
JDogg, I could only go on what the guides told us after the flyover. They commented that "they fly the valley all the time" scaring the pants off of folks. This flyover was last Tuesday, and it was apparent that he was not just going from point A to point B...he was flying low, hugging the terrain. Agreed: it was indeed the sound of freedom!

Who knows? It was a great show for 4-5 seconds! jmgraham, love those shows....always fun huh?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We used to see them occasionally in eastern MT, but I thought they were taken out of service. Glad to see they are not. One cool plane.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I was wondering where that freaking Murphy bastid was last week.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Too bad about the elk.

We see A-10s all the time in the Adirondacks where we hunt. They follow the Moose River L-O-W! There have been a couple times when I was on top of the river ridge that I could look down into the cockpit.

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
you cry about the elk, but in war that bird is the sound of FREEEEDOM!!!! nothing pissed me off more while bringing a smile to my face than a B1; when she flies brown people die.

ps

the term "brown people" was used because 99.999% of terrorist are brown arab/muslim

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Three years ago, hiking in Northern Highlands of Scotland with wife and daughter we were stunned by the roar of two great RAF Tornados low altitude penetration fighter bombers. They came following the creek through the valley at very low level. Wife had a snap shot but can't find the picture. It must be be real adrenaline shoot to flight like that. Had chance on this trip to see F15E, they train there with nato's birds. These are impresive birds too.
Dom

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Mossbergman....agree with ya....just hate it for our son. But he's got a lifetime of elk hunts coming his way...he'll be fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (5sdad, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 15 invisible), 1,890 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.