Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I've already built my dream custom but have several other ideas.

BP-B6

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Light 270,280,7x57 or 30/06 on a G33/40 action, light contour krieger or equal barrel and complete metal work, top to bottom, by a great smith.

No engraving, nothing fancy, just a solid but beautiful working rifle with fabulous walnut (French/ circassian) hard as bone yet reasonably lightweight,slender,in the American Classic design.Point pattern, no fleurs.
Match it up with an equivilent lightweight 375H&H on a pre 64 M70 action,light contoured barrel and a good stick of walnut with perfect checkering.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Simply an exact copy of an Oberndorf Type "A" in 7 x 57.

BN

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The "custom" I want now? Not really a custom. But I am thinking hard about taking the darkest and streakiest piece of English I can get my hands on price no object, and having Cooper make a Custom Classic 57M 22LR with it with Neidner buttplate and inletted swivels.

I have the custom stocked pre-64 fwt 270, and can't think of a better mate to it.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A high end single shot, maybe a #10 or a Hagn, in .270 Win or 6mm. Well, just make it one of each.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An original Winchester Hi-Wall in 25 Krag

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its in the works rite now. A short(ish) light-weight Model 70 in a great old caliber, .257 Roberts.
In process is a New Haven short action 70 Classic Compact getting a Pacnor .257, 1:9 twist, 21"long. Have a set of Talley Lite-weights and a Leupold 2.5-8 waiting for it.
After season is over Mcmillan stock for sure and maybe a Cerakote job..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't say I've "always" wanted to do these, a that would be stretching the time period. Nevertheless, my wants have been pretty consistent over the last few years.

1. A toy for long range play. In this case I started with a NIB Interarms Mark X action with a Timney trigger, bought a Boyd JRS stock and sent the two to Krieger, who built the barrel, trued the action and build the barrel. I agonized over the cartridge for a while as this was my first custom but ended up with a 6.5-06AI. Could have lived with a standard non-AI but planned to use .25-06 brass and wanted to prevent the possibility that I or someone else might stick 6.5-06 ammo in a .25-06 rifle. I told my brother this was my �600 yard clay pigeon shooter� and was very pleasantly surprised to find out the it indeed is. Very happy with the results and it is Daughter #3�s favorite shooter.
[Linked Image]

2. .338-375 Ruger, aka .375 Campfire. This is something I wanted ever since Ruger came out with the .375 Ruger cartridge and I spent a couple years hoping Ruger would announce a .338 Ruger based on the .375 cartridge. Started the project with a Ruger stainless action, contacted Pacific regarding a reamer and Hornady regarding forming and reloading dies. Then, thanks to bsa1917hunter, I located a stainless Ruger .338 Win Mag take-off barrel in Alaska that the original owner had fluted. The price was right and I couldn�t be happier with the result. When I eagerly opened the box on its arrival I was somewhat disappointed that the barrel was 22� rather than 24� but I was ecstatic about the bonus of iron sights, which were a complete surprise as well. The more I thought about the length the happier I was with the 22� as my goal was to have a fairly lightweight .338 boomer and I had decided to leave it as a .338 Win Mag. To that end I had a NIB Ruger boat paddle stock I had purchased Numrich. I decided if I �needed� more I would just buy a .338 RUM or such. All the parts went to Ted Lockburner down Monument way and three months or so later I got it back. He had blasted all the stainless to a nice matte finish. After a few sessions at the range I decided to add a Simms Limbsaver pad. It shoots great and I couldn�t be happier with the results:
[Linked Image]

A .338-06 has long been on my wish list but I think I�d go with a factory .338 RCM now instead.

A .375 Ruger is also on my wish list. I�ll probably never hunt Africa or even Alaska so it isn�t a matter of need. I don�t care for the Hogue stocks but Ruger now offers an Alaskan with laminated stock, a 23� barrel and iron sights, which sounds great to me. Problem is, the older I get the more like lighter rifles and the more I worry about things like detached retinas. A .375 Ruger keeps slipping further down the list.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Light 270,280,7x57 or 30/06 on a G33/40 action, light contour krieger or equal barrel and complete metal work, top to bottom, by a great smith.

No engraving, nothing fancy, just a solid but beautiful working rifle with fabulous walnut (French/ circassian) hard as bone yet reasonably lightweight,slender,in the American Classic design.Point pattern, no fleurs.
Match it up with an equivilent lightweight 375H&H on a pre 64 M70 action,light contoured barrel and a good stick of walnut with perfect checkering.

Bob,

I've seen you mention building something on a G33/40 action many times. I do hope such an action comes into your life, because you would really appreciate it.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob's idea on the g33/40 is pretty cool but I don't think I'd go that route because its damn near impossible to find one and they are spendy!!!! The build i'd like to do would be pretty simple: I've got a newhaven built classic sporter I'd use as the foundation, I've always wanted a 308 norma mag for some damned reason so it would get a 24" medium weight fluted stainless barrel of good manufacture and then I'd throw the thing in a mcmillan hunters edge stock and top it off with light weight talleys, a leupy vx3 4.5-14x40 with CDS on it and call it good. It would start life looking like this:

[Linked Image]
It is a 30-06 and shoots like this right now so I may just have to wear out this barrel first:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It will end up looking similar to this someday:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If I had F-U money, I'd find an already sporterized, but not D&T'd 1903 Springfield action, have it shortened to fit the .250 Savage round, Hinged floorplate, 20" barrel w/quarter rib, rust blued, marblecake walnut full length stock, skeleton grip cap and buttplate, with a flip up cocking pice sight, checkered at 24-26 LPI. total weight about 6-6/5 pounds.

Alternately, a matched set of pre-64 actions made into a .300 H&H and a .375, 26" barrel on the .300, 24" on the .375, .375 would have a peep of some sort, the .300 would have a 2.5-8 or comparable. well done exhbition grade, Walnut skeleton buttplate/grip cap. Maybe a leather covered pad on the .375.

Then I'd go to Africa and for a month and have a safari. Heck, I'm rich, right?

F
F
I already did it. Ready for Africa.

http://kilimanjarorifles.com/gallery.html gun number 2. A tack driver.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Tony....that Grisel rifle is as pretty as they come. Absolutely gorgeous. cool

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Bump for old friends.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

One should have at least one nice classic custom and plan on using it. This would not include a run of the mill 700 Lego Gun.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Already have mine on the way...er shaw mk7 in 250 savage. Polished bluing and walnut.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have built everything I've wanted or thought I wanted but another one always creeps into my subconscious then begins to transform to reality. I've been on a single shot kick the last couple of customs and it's continuing. I dropped off a Ruger #1 action just last week to my smith. He'll tweak this and recontour some of the metal. The barrel is a McGowen half round half octagon with a slight taper.Skelton grip cap, metal but plate, custom quarter rib, Tally rings, island swivel bases, ebony forend tip. All appropriate metal color case hardened and exhibition English walnut nicely checkered. My caliber of choice on this one is a bit odd to some but I like the classic calibers and mostly hunt deer here in Michigan with the occasional trip to Wyoming and Texas in October so this will be in 300 Savage.

Down the road some I'm thinking a Hagen action and a 250 Savage would make for a good pair.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.