Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Stubbleduck, that thing about barrel length efficiency for various RF ammo has always been a puzzle to me. What you stated ref. short and LR barrels sounds perfectly rational...but in days past my chronograph had a different opinion. The CB shorts from my Contender run in the range of 780 fps. Ammo lot? Match chamber? Don't have a clue myself. From a Rem 572 with a 24" barrel the statistical difference was nil. To muddy things up a little more a pair of Rem 513s w/ 26" barrels are about 50 fps faster than the same loads from a 10/22. All 3 rifles have factory barrels.

Have seen the same thing with CF rifles of course and that is easier to grasp. RFs can be a puzzle sometimes.

Incredible/interesting post Dan! I reported what Dr White said and other statistics/figures, but hard to argue (really wrong word actually) with your experience when your chrony or experiece says otherwise!

Morale of the story, ascertain 'facts' with a chronograph - like the 'trust but verify' approach.

Still, your suggestion to set back a LR barrel on a boltgun to "make" a committed Short-gun is a damn good one!!

BTW, when you bag your little porkers, how much weight do they dress out to? Judging by pics/their size I suppose many tend to be tender? vs 'tough?' Most of them appear to be youngish pigs? cool

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Some fella named L. Kilbourn stamped his name on the barrel.

A good Dremel tool will take that off if'n you are ashamed of it or you can send it my way.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Pugs: I am ignorant on this point and I hope someone will enlighten me.
I am wondering if 22 Short cartridges will function through a standard Ruger 10/22 magazine and feed (jump?) properly into the breech/chamber of a custom 10/22 "Short" barrel?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crowrifle, Yer a funny guy!

BTW, when you bag your little porkers, how much weight do they dress out to? Judging by pics/their size I suppose many tend to be tender? vs 'tough?' Most of them appear to be youngish pigs?

They trend to younger mostly. 30-125# is a fair representative spread. Top end to date has been about 250# for boar and 200# for sows. Don't see a lot of big boars but there are a fair number of the larger sows. My freezer, palate and energy level prefers the 50-75# range. Boars tend to be more solitary and the rest wad up into large groups. I mostly don't screw with them when there's more than one full grown sow. OTOH, if you bust the sow first the youngsters hand around long enough to be a bullet stop. Took down 5 one day without doing anything more than reloading.

This is what I mean by a "wad". I don't pursue them here. The cover in the backdrop is where I work.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I am wondering if 22 Short cartridges will function through a standard Ruger 10/22 magazine and feed (jump?) properly into the breech/chamber of a custom 10/22 "Short" barrel?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

No, they won't. Volquartsen sells modified magazines for that purpose.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

No, they won't. Volquartsen sells modified magazines for that purpose.

If you buy the kit it comes with the new bolt assembly and a magazine.

I have to admit I've not tried to feed shorts or CB's out of my CZ or Cooper magazines. If that works that's a short term fix.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dan,

Nice to see you around....

Will a Aguila SSS fit into a .22 Short chamber?...or does the rifle have to be chambered in .22 LR...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey there! I think you can get them in with a few hammer taps but otherwise, no. Wear safety glasses. LR Chamber for the SSS. Funny name for a .22 cartridge, no? Shoot, Shovel and...I think I will.

I am..........disturbed.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Pugs:

CCI CB Longs will feed through the magazine of your 10/22.

Just learn to pull the bolt straight back and, without letting go, guide the bolt forward smartly with thumb and forefinger. Not too fast. Not too slow. Less than 10 rounds to learn how to do it.

Think of it as a poor man's T-bolt.

- Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crowrifle
I guarantee you will like them.

I like the CCI CB longs. They feed well in my Sako Quad, but not so in my Norinco CZ/Brno copy.

I have been looking for some Remington CBee subsonic 22lr, but will probably have to order some.
An agressive 33 gr HP at ~740 fps in a 22lr case sounds like the perfect pest control round.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=57580

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282751

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
.22 shorts! A subject near and dear to my heart. I've been a fan for over 40 years. I would buy 'em by the case with my yard work money when I was 9 years old. I still use a lot.

Right now on my snack bar(easy access) are; CCI CB'S , Colibris, CCI standard shorts and 2 boxes of the super snipers.

I had a Rem 552 that would feed CB's, it went to grandson number 1. My Henry levergun fed shorts and grouped them very well, it went to one of my emploee's 11 year old son last month.

Right now I have a Cz 552 and a Browning Micro Midas that both feed and group very well with CB's.

I love this little Browning! I put a small slip on recoil pad on it for a little more length of pull.

It fits perfectly in one of those gun show shotgun scabbards. Just sling it across my back and go.

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Picked up a couple boxes of Winchester CB Long match today for my little experiment - thanks for the thoughts folks.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pugs, if they don't group for you off the bat, try elevating the muzzle to vertical between each shot. It moves the powder to a consistent position for each shot. It usually improves accuracy a fair bit as well. Lots of room in that case for a few flakes to wander around in.

I am..........disturbed.

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Interesting - thanks for the tip.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Pugs, if they don't group for you off the bat, try elevating the muzzle to vertical between each shot. It moves the powder to a consistent position for each shot. It usually improves accuracy a fair bit as well. Lots of room in that case for a few flakes to wander around in.

Gonna try that in my Winnie 67 - learn something everyday. I get the occasional stray using them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

602 members (1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,149 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,281
Posts18,448,568
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.