Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
I'll keep operating the same way MColeman so long as the insurance companies keep operating the same way. We've had only one auto claim to AIG which wasn't our fault (bump to the rear bumper at a redlight). And that claim was to the other driver's insurance policy which just so happened to be AIG as was ours. Since every insurance company I've dealt with has used the same tactic, I don't really see much about being reputable beyond avoiding the fly-by-night and unheard of companies. Our stats, other than being unwilling to overpay for insurance, makes us very desireable policy holders. Geico has our homeowners and auto insurance right now. Farmers had it and lost it in short order. I stick with a provider as long as the premiums remain competitive. I do check the insurance commissions stats and complaint index each time I shop. I don't bother to jump ship for pennies, have a high deductible and full coverage. So pigeonhole me as a cheapskate which you essentially just did, but I think there's a difference between expecting reasonable premium increases to loyal customers without any claims, and someone looking to save an insignificant difference. The hassle and aggravation of finding a new provider demands a certain premium in and of itself. If an insurance company ever denies a justified claim which is the only kind I would make, I'll see someone who operates at their own level -- a lawyer.

I think you read "cheapskate" into my statement on your own. I didn't say that nor did I mean to imply it. Let me say up front that I was giving you what I consider to be good advice. It makes absolutely no difference to me what you do with it. I've seen many insureds jump from one company to the other always seeking the lowest premium and when they got dropped it was difficult, and expensive, to find coverage. That was many years ago but the situation may be different now. Do what you want to.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We were notified by The Hartford that they were no longer writing in Fl and we would be not renewed, that after a solid no claims history of some 12 years (since I needed insurance). They are now back in FL through AARP (NO I do not belong) and I would not sign with them again if it was free.

A friend had just started selling Allstate so we went with him some forty years ago and now use his son as our Allstate agent.

The "lower your premiums" ads are usually BS as they don't offer the same level of coverage we maintain at the advertised prices. We have full coverage on both vehicles and very low deductibles which a different company will not write as one is 12 years old and the other 10. We have had claims, not at fault or comp and the rates have stayed very competitive with multi vehicle, safe driver and other discounts we continually get.

I just ain't about to jump around to save a couple of bucks.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
We were notified by The Hartford that they were no longer writing in Fl and we would be not renewed, that after a solid no claims history of some 12 years (since I needed insurance). They are now back in FL through AARP (NO I do not belong) and I would not sign with them again if it was free.

A friend had just started selling Allstate so we went with him some forty years ago and now use his son as our Allstate agent.

The "lower your premiums" ads are usually BS as they don't offer the same level of coverage we maintain at the advertised prices. We have full coverage on both vehicles and very low deductibles which a different company will not write as one is 12 years old and the other 10. We have had claims, not at fault or comp and the rates have stayed very competitive with multi vehicle, safe driver and other discounts we continually get.

That's a smart move.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I worked in a body shop for twelve years and have worked for a insurance company the past five. They all will pay what they owe with the exception of State Farm, they will pay a helluva lot more. What does that do to ALL of our premiums? When I worked at the shop we always wrote way more than we needed and EVERY shop does! There will be horror stories with every company and they are basically all the same.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by waterbug
As others have stated, I wouldn't buy from Progressive.

We switched our auto's from Allstate (where we had been for 10 or so years) to Texas Farm Bureau in October 2009 and reduced our auto insurance by $2,185.00 per year. We also moved our homeowner's, liability umbrella and some rental property at the same time to maximize our savings. By moving it all, we reduced our total fire/casualty/auto/liability insurance expenses by $3,157.49 annually.

Yep. Allstate rewarded your decade of loyalty like most of them do. But I'm sure that Allstate insurance agent was just the friendliest agent and they really valued your relationship laugh. Chummy!

If I had gone with State Farm, I'd be paying about $1800 more per year than with Geico (home + auto), and about half that with the best competing quote to Geico. That's more than just a few bucks of savings.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by waterbug
As others have stated, I wouldn't buy from Progressive.

We switched our auto's from Allstate (where we had been for 10 or so years) to Texas Farm Bureau in October 2009 and reduced our auto insurance by $2,185.00 per year. We also moved our homeowner's, liability umbrella and some rental property at the same time to maximize our savings. By moving it all, we reduced our total fire/casualty/auto/liability insurance expenses by $3,157.49 annually.

Yep. Allstate rewarded your decade of loyalty like most of them do. But I'm sure that Allstate insurance agent was just the friendliest agent and they really valued your relationship laugh. Chummy!

If I had gone with State Farm, I'd be paying about $1800 more per year than with Geico (home + auto), and about half that with the best competing quote to Geico. That's more than just a few bucks of savings.

Seriously Geico couldn't beat my State Farm coverage for less money. I asked the to give me a quote and they fell on their ass?????

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 10/10/11.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My son is an adjuster for Progressive. During the busy summers, he's in the motorcycle/boat/RV division. When the season slows down, he's in fraud investigation. He says the biggest claim problem is they don't hire enough adjusters to get the job done in a timely manner. He's always weeks behind because he just can't keep up with the load.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
been with Allstate for umpteen years now, used to be with State Farm before that (but didn't have anything but an auto)

Allstate, insures all 5 vehicles, our boat, our house, our rental properties and at least one biz.

called Geico once as a curiosity but the rates they quoted me were a good bit higher than what I was paying with Allstate.

Allstate just paid out 250K to a claimant against our policy for a wreck my knuckle headed daughter was in 6 years ago

sometimes I feel insurance poor, but lordy how do you get along with out it?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Very wise advice.
T Lee knows of what he speaks.

ALWAYS make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

My mother in law was lured into a different policy bases on price.
Being the last of the great bargain hunters she thought she was getting a great deal and trusted her agent.
Within a year he was in a wreck and the other driver was injured.
She nearly lost everything and had to come up with over a half million dollars of her own money to settle the lawsuit filed against her.

Bitter, bitter lesson learned.
The more you own the more coverage you need.
Don't be suckered by prices alone, be ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE your assets are protected.
Sit down with a competent agent and itemize anything that could be taken from you in a lawsuit.

Good insurance is well worth the money when that crisis is upon you.

My wife and I went with a large umbrella policy soon after her mom's catastrophy.

Proud NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
What other industry is garrrunteeed a profit?
By Law?

None other than insurance.

That's why they can change the rules on the fly.
And grow, and grow and get fatter...

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem_7
I worked in a body shop for twelve years and have worked for a insurance company the past five. They all will pay what they owe with the exception of State Farm, they will pay a helluva lot more. What does that do to ALL of our premiums? When I worked at the shop we always wrote way more than we needed and EVERY shop does! There will be horror stories with every company and they are basically all the same.

In other words the body shops pads the estimates with phony (fraudulent) charges and the ones that the insurance companies don't catch is all profit. Do I have that right? And when the adjuster tries to pare off the unnecessary charges the insured usually thinks the insurance company is trying to get out of paying what they owe? I watched that game played for nearly 48 years and during that time I found exactly two body shops that could be trusted and they got a lot of our business because they were honest. None of them were in Selma, AL, either.

I might add that a lot of body shops did it at the urging of the insureds to cover their deductible. There's dishonesty in the industry and it ain't all the insurance companies, I can promise you that.

Last edited by MColeman; 10/11/11.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I strongly suggest USAA for those that qualify. I have everything I can through them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
What other industry is garrrunteeed a profit?
By Law?

None other than insurance.

That's why they can change the rules on the fly.
And grow, and grow and get fatter...

I don't know where you are getting your information but don't let them do your taxes just in case you are audited. Insurance companies cannot raise rates without getting approval from insurance commissioners, at least in Alabama.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Very wise advice.
T Lee knows of what he speaks.

ALWAYS make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

My mother in law was lured into a different policy bases on price.
Being the last of the great bargain hunters she thought she was getting a great deal and trusted her agent.
Within a year he was in a wreck and the other driver was injured.
She nearly lost everything and had to come up with over a half million dollars of her own money to settle the lawsuit filed against her.

Bitter, bitter lesson learned.
The more you own the more coverage you need.
Don't be suckered by prices alone, be ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE your assets are protected.
Sit down with a competent agent and itemize anything that could be taken from you in a lawsuit.

Good insurance is well worth the money when that crisis is upon you.

My wife and I went with a large umbrella policy soon after her mom's catastrophy.

I remember the story about one of State Farm's insureds who thought that he had 100,000 of liability (this was many years ago when 100K was a lot of money). He did but it was bodily injury coverage. He had 100/300/10 which means he only had 10,000 in property damage liability. Everything was fine until he ran a semi loaded with Vick's cough drops off the bridge into Lake Ponchatrain in LA. When the got the truck out and totaled the cost it came to $140,000 and State Farm gladly paid their share of $10,000.....guess who paid the rest.

In the last 10 years I was an agent we played CYA as best we could. Had that happened 30 years after it did the agent could have been sued, and probably would have been, because he did make sure the insured had adequate coverage. No matter that the agent had maybe tried to get the insured to raise his coverage and was viewed by the insured as one who was just trying to sell more insurance. Being an insurance agent is a suck life most of the time. I still have nightmares about being in the bidness.

Last edited by MColeman; 10/11/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have had USAA since I was 15(thru my Dad), tried GEICO for awhile before anyone could get it, they were not even on the same string as USAA. We have everything thru them, home, auto, life, and even a savings account with their bank. If you qualify for it, none, and I mean none of the other agencies can touch their rates. They didn't even give me guff about my rider for my firearms. I remember when USAA was Officers and their immediate family only and when GEICO was ONLY for Government employees, they were a much better company then. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
I have had USAA since I was 15(thru my Dad), tried GEICO for awhile before anyone could get it, they were not even on the same string as USAA. We have everything thru them, home, auto, life, and even a savings account with their bank. If you qualify for it, none, and I mean none of the other agencies can touch their rates. They didn't even give me guff about my rider for my firearms. I remember when USAA was Officers and their immediate family only and when GEICO was ONLY for Government employees, they were a much better company then. Les

USAA has a very good reputation. I remember them being only for officers but things have changed since I was active. I remember when GEICO was about to go under and State Farm loaned them a ton of money to keep them afloat. This was over 30 years ago. It was explained to me that were GEICO allowed to go under the market couldn't handle all the business that would be looking for new insurance. Understanding that concept was way above my pay grade but that's what was told to me.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 34 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,341
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.